Sensitivity Question
Dec 24, 2009 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ratedgprodigy

New Head-Fier
I'm new here and am researching what headphones and computer speakers to purchase. Before I do, I have a question about sensitivity regarding headphones and computer speakers:

For years, I have had a pair of Sony MDR V600 headphones that have a sensitivity rating of 106 decibels.

For years, I have been playing them on Labtec LCS-150 computer speakers full blast. They are cheap speakers and I can't find the sensitivity specs, but I believe they are around 75-80 decibels.

If I listen to the music with the headphones plugged into the speakers at full blast, am I hearing it at 75-80 decibels, or am I hearing it at 106 decibels? Is it in between? How do I figure it? Thanks.

Dec 25, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 8
Hmmm... thought that might happen
smile_phones.gif

Maybe the better way to ask it is how much of an impact do the speakers make when using headphones? Is it worth buying higher priced computer speakers if I am just going to use headphones?

(Move if necessary. I considered it mathematical science before but now its just a straight up Q).

Dec 25, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 8
I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say you've been playing your headphones on the Labtec LCS-150 speakers.

I don't see a headphone jack on those speakers. Do they have one in the back or something?

se

Dec 25, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say you've been playing your headphones on the Labtec LCS-150 speakers.

I don't see a headphone jack on those speakers. Do they have one in the back or something?

se

Oops. They're actually LCS-1060's. They looked identical but I see the 50's don't have the headphone input.

http://www.alvio.com/image_resize.as...JPG&height=200

Dec 25, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ratedgprodigy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oops. They're actually LCS-1060's. They looked identical but I see the 50's don't have the headphone input.

Ah, ok.

Well, it's rather difficult to give you any sort of definitive answer as it's not clear whether the headphone output is being fed directly from the speaker output, through some resistors, or via a separate circuit. Nor do the speakers have any meaningful specs for their output.

se

Dec 25, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #6 of 8
The V6 is very sensitive so it doesn't take much to get a lot of volume from them. I'm thinking the headphone amp section is either very weak or there is too much resistance in the way. Maybe a bad design by the manufacturer. It was probably an afterthought so that makes sense.

Are you sure that you're feeding the speakers with enough volume from your like-out?

Dec 25, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 8
I plug my MDR V600 speakers directly into the headphone outlet. The speakers are just regular 5-watt computer speakers.

The question I'm trying to get at...

I currently have these $20 LCS-160 Speakers with the old pair of MDR V600 headphones

If I upgraded to Logitech Z-5500 with the old pair of MDR V600, would it make a difference in the volume and quality of the headphone listening? Or do the speakers only matter when the headphone outlet is disconnected?

If I knew the importance of quality speakers with headphone listening then I can cater any future purchasing decision 50/50 with the speakers and headphones or just 100% on the headphones.

Dec 25, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 8
I'm betting the logitech set would have a better implemented headphone output section. The old z3 I used to have was decent enough.

Sorry I thought you said V6 in your initial post. You can disregard my previous comment about the V6.

Usually the speakers and headphone operate one at a time and not simultaneously. They don't have any influence on one another.

Though if I were you, I would get a simple, cheap switch box so you can select either speakers or headphones. You would put this box in between the speakers and your PC so that your PC will be driving your headphones directly. All you need to do is flip a switch to change to your headphones. That will also enable you to use any speaker setup you want regardless of whether or not it has a headphone port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back