Sensitive people alert: Do not read this? About Psychic Phenomemon.
Sep 17, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #61 of 76
Did someone do a search for his own name and arrive here due to its use in my last post?
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #62 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator
Sure, but exclusion and ridicule are hardly necessary when simple detachment and apathy will suffice.

Example 1:

"Bunnies have ESP."

"Interesting idea. When you prove it I'll care."

Example 2:

"Bunnies have ESP."

"No they don't, that's absolute nonsense. No one has proved it could be possible, so it isn't. Get a life you hippie."

Quote:

Originally Posted by me
False dichotomy. The word you are looking for is skepticism.

The false dichotomy I was referring to is in YOUR post. You presented two and only two possible counter-arguments to your statements: "exclusion and ridicule" or "detachment and apathy", which paints your opponents in a bad light not matter what they choose.

Sep 17, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #63 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A sixth sense? How? What causes it? What brain mechanisms are responsible for perceiving and processing the information? If I were to perform a PET scan on the animal, would I be able to detect this area? What kind of neuronal connections would this area have? Perhaps the neurons themselves are different as well! (Modified to send those radio signals, I guess!)

Please tell me, I'd like to know.

6th senses are actually quite common among animals, and there is plenty of science to support this... echo-location and polar magnetic sensitivity, for instance.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #64 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The false dichotomy I was referring to is in YOUR post. You presented two and only two possible counter-arguments to your statements: "exclusion and ridicule" or "detachment and apathy", which paints your opponents in a bad light not matter what they choose.

I like to think of this as more of an awesome dichotomy, because choosing detachment and apathy is awesome.

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #65 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did someone do a search for his own name and arrive here due to its use in my last post?
wink.gif

Ok, OK! I admit it, it was ESP...
cool.gif

I'm the result of secret russian genetic experiment....that I was not supposed to mention...wait, what is that bright red dot moving around my chest...

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #66 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
6th senses are actually quite common among animals, and there is plenty of science to support this... echo-location and polar magnetic sensitivity, for instance.
evil_smiley.gif

Very true, but the phrase "sixth sense" has a mystical connotation to it, usually referring to some magical, unexplainable connection. A dolphin expert wouldn't call echo-location a "sixth sense"; he would just call it echo-location.
tongue.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #67 of 76
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

This is true, although echo location is just a sophisticated HRTF we also have. The magnetic location sense such as the "distress" sensors in sharks' noses are indeed unique to those animals.

Elephants have sensors on the soles of their feet that can pick up subsonic communications from elephants miles away.

I can't find the video but when alligators mate, the male makes a subsonic growl to attract females. It is so deep and loud it makes the water around him jump and dance. It is pretty amazing.

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #68 of 76
I'm skeptical about all of this as well. But that doesn't mean I don't believe it COULD be true.

For one, I completely believe in God. There's little evidence but I have faith. My choice
smily_headphones1.gif

For two, I would love to understand a few things that have happened to me in the past.
-I have only gotten a scary and very concerned feeling about my brother once in my life. I had a very very strong feeling something bad happened to him so I tried to get a hold of him but couldn't. At this time he was living on the other side of the country. When I finally got a hold of him I found out that he was badly injured at the same time I got the feeling. (I won't go into details).

-The second story revolves around my son but I won't go into details. It's a little different from the first story and was very recent.

My point is, I would love to understand this phenomenom. It could be coincidence but I doubt it.

Sep 17, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #69 of 76
I don't know is it real or not but I'm sure it's a terrible story.

Sep 17, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #70 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by will75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm skeptical about all of this as well. But that doesn't mean I don't believe it COULD be true.

For one, I completely believe in God. There's little evidence but I have faith. My choice
smily_headphones1.gif

For two, I would love to understand a few things that have happened to me in the past.
-I have only gotten a scary and very concerned feeling about my brother once in my life. I had a very very strong feeling something bad happened to him so I tried to get a hold of him but couldn't. At this time he was living on the other side of the country. When I finally got a hold of him I found out that he was badly injured at the same time I got the feeling. (I won't go into details).

-The second story revolves around my son but I won't go into details. It's a little different from the first story and was very recent.

My point is, I would love to understand this phenomenom. It could be coincidence but I doubt it.

It's not so much a coincidence so much as you probably have been worried for your brother more than that one time, but you only remember the one time you were right (selective memory bias). That is a lot more parsimonious than assuming that you have some sort of magical, instant psychic connection.

Sep 17, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #71 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not so much a coincidence so much as you probably have been worried for your brother more than that one time, but you only remember the one time you were right (selective memory bias). That just seems a lot more parsimonious to me than assuming that you have some sort of magical, instant psychic connection.

I've never been worried for him to the point where I have called to check on him. That is for sure. Who knows the reason......I don't really need an answer for everything. I think it's a cool phenomenom though.
blink.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #72 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by will75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's a cool phenomenom though.
blink.gif

Superstition? =p

I personally believe Nibiyabi got it right with the selective memory bias, but YMMV.

Another question to ask is, why don't we see this phenomenon occuring commonplace?

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #73 of 76
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

I'm going to give that smiley and your sig some weight and assume that your response is playful. Echo-location and polar magnetism is 3000 yards south of magical supernaturalism? Why not jump to cryptozoology?

Hasn't this thread deteriorated to basically a proof system of (at the very least) does god (lowercase, although the uppercase is secondary) exist? Answer: Why would you assume so without some objective evidence (since we're fortunate to live in an age post-scientific theory discovery)? Isn't this the orbiting teacup argument?

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #74 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hasn't this thread deteriorated to basically a proof system of (at the very least) does god (lowercase, although the uppercase is secondary) exist? Answer: Why would you assume so without some objective evidence (since we're fortunate to live in an age post-scientific theory discovery)? Isn't this the orbiting teacup argument?

I didn't want to say this in fear of breaking the religion rule, but I agree absolutely 100% with you. I feel anyone who believes in this sort of stuff with no actual evidence, let alone base their life on it, is a tragic waste of potential intelligence.

They're medieval superstitions, people. Let them go.

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:08 AM Post #75 of 76
Kwap! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back