Sensaphonics Vs. ES2
Jan 6, 2007 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

jlingo

500+ Head-Fier
I thought I would like to write a little bit about my personal experience with ES2 and Sensaphonics. Hopefully, this would be beneficial for everyone. It has been a few years since I used Sensaphonics. It has been such a great companion. I just received my ES2 a few days ago, so I thought this would be great time to share some information.

For first timers into Custom Mold:
I recommend ES2. Why?
-The price point of ES2 is making it very attractive. It’s also highly accessible in Singapore. You can always order it through Jaben or Stereo Electronics. I did my impressions at Jaben. It was seemless and painless. It was done right on the spot which means the impressions were still fresh and ready to be shipped to Westone. My ES2 actually came with a perfect fit. I’m noticing the shape and curvature of my ES2 are close or if not identical to the ear impression which I find very surprising. I have done moulds for Sensaphonics, E500, swimming plug, and they are all not identical to the ear impressions. Well it’s definitely not as detailed as this one.

-ES2 is also much easier to insert and pull out compared to Sensaphonics(Silicon type). It’s made from a hard, solid, and sturdy material. When you put it properly into your ears you would notice the comfort straight away since you may hear some sort of locking Thug, or click sound when you twist inserting it. After that all you have to do is to press gently at the base without further twisting move to make sure that it’s firmly seated.
With Sensaphonics, I’m having a hard time judging whether it has been seated correctly or not. Due to the fact that Sensaphonics are a very soft silicon material, so you tend to insert it too deep inside or over twist it(The silicon is more bentable and stretchable compared to the Acrylic), both however will result in a good seal, but you may notice pressure or tightness feeling inside your ears which are not so comfortable. With overtwisting or overinserting, you may also feel discomfort with Sensaphonics after 1 hour or more usage. Keep in mind that I found no Sealing problems with both Westone and Sensaphonics. You can never have over twisting or over inserting with acrylic material since you will notice a discomfort straight away.

The pressure becomes very troublesome when I’m on the plane. With sensaphonics, I’m getting some sort of suction so the sensaphonics pressing very tight onto my ears so it could be quite uncomfortable. I do not notice this problem with ES2 while on the plane.

Summary of Sound:
Sensaphonics win hands down in terms of tonal balance. The high is good and the bass is very tight and accurate. If you are looking for a more accurate sound presentation, Sensaphonics is for you.

Although, ES2 is colored towards midrange, but the midrange itself is very sweet. The instruments are played in a very musical way with good decay. The only problem is that ES2 high is really rolled off compared to Sensaphonics. I’m already used to the sound signature of Sensaphonics which is a lot brighter and more detailed. I have to turn on treblebooster in my iPod everytime I need to use my ES2.

Apart from that I think Sound Qualities have been covered many times by other members in the forum which are quite comprehensive.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank both Jaben and Westone for making this happen. 

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 19
Just to continue with some sonic differences:

It's very unfortunate but I prefer the UM2(UM56) in comparison to ES2.
I find UM2(UM56) has a better bass articulation, sweeter midrange, very involving, and less hiss which in turns resulting in darker background(Nice one), the high is Less Harsh or smoother should I say, better decay very musical.

I find ES2 to be less articulate, less bass, very 2D flat, analytical, dryer.

I hate to come to this conclusion but that's what I found with my ears.

Paired with Max-Out Supermacro IV OPA627, UM2(UM56) leaves ES2 to dust. UM2(UM56) becomes 3Dimensional, super-Sweet! addicting.

ES2 doesn't seem to respond well with Supermacro IV Max-Out, OPA627.

You have to swap your opamp to OPA134, it's got more synergy to ES2.

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although, ES2 is colored towards midrange, but the midrange itself is very sweet. The instruments are played in a very musical way with good decay. The only problem is that ES2 high is really rolled off compared to Sensaphonics.

K, it's fine to say the sensas are brighter. But you can not say that the ES-2's have rolled off highs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to continue with some sonic differences:

It's very unfortunate but I prefer the UM2(UM56) in comparison to ES2.
I find UM2(UM56) has a better bass articulation, sweeter midrange, very involving, and less hiss which in turns resulting in darker background(Nice one), the high is Less Harsh or smoother should I say, better decay very musical.

I find ES2 to be less articulate, less bass, very 2D flat, analytical, dryer.

I hate to come to this conclusion but that's what I found with my ears.

Paired with Max-Out Supermacro IV OPA627, UM2(UM56) leaves ES2 to dust. UM2(UM56) becomes 3Dimensional, super-Sweet! addicting.

ES2 doesn't seem to respond well with Supermacro IV Max-Out, OPA627.

You have to swap your opamp to OPA134, it's got more synergy to ES2.

Oo jeez where do I start...?

UM2 better bass articulation?
More like slower, slurred, and boomy.

FYI the ES-2's have some of the best lows you'll ever find. Tight, deep, EXTREAMLY DETAILED and at the speed of light.
UM2's have tugboat lows where ES-2's are more along the lines of a lion roar.

Hiss IS NOT A FLAW, it’s called resolution.

Not wasting another second on this joke of a thread.

At least I know the super macro’s complete junk.

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 19
IMHO, you can not tell him what he can, and can not say
tongue.gif

oh comon...hes entitled to his own opinions isnt it?

Jan 10, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 19
I too was surprised by the comments about UM2 w/UM56 having more articulate bass than the ES2s. I haven't heard the ES2, but from what little time I had with the UM2s, they don't have very articulate bass at all. I find it very difficult to accept the vastly more expensive and venerable ES2 having worse bass than the UM2, even if the UM2 had custom sleeves.

Like what fongalv said, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and you can't really comment on how others' listening experiences.

Having just paid and had impressions done for a pair of ACS T2 custom IEM, I am very encouraged by jlingo's impressions of the Sensaphonics ProPhonic 2X-S since the ACS T2 should be pretty similar-sounding (T2 have softer silicone, cord and 'new' HF balanced armature driver, but may not be sonically similar to the more recent 2X-S because the latter had been revised with new drivers a few months ago iirc). I'm not too fussed about the OP's comfort issues because everyone's ears are different and this is the first time I've read about comfort problems with custom IEMs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_Carter
FYI the ES-2's have some of the best lows you'll ever find. Tight, deep, EXTREAMLY DETAILED and at the speed of light.

Yup, that's what I've read too. Don't take jlingo's comments personally though. Each person has a different set of ears and we hear differently.

Jan 10, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_Carter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K, it's fine to say the sensas are brighter. But you can not say that the ES-2's have rolled off highs.

Geez, is it your time of the month?
It's his opinion.. And UM56 changes the sound of UM2 completely

Supermacro's complete junk? Have you ever even listened to one?

Jan 10, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For the record, the Supermacro is not complete junk.
rolleyes.gif
That's off topic though...

Jan 10, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like bass, I like brightness, I like sound stage, I don't, I like speed, I like smoothness,,,,,,, All those are opinions.
These are not an opinions, these are false claims.

No I haven't heard the supermicro. I said what I said cuz if he can hear hiss, and can't hear the advantages of the ES-2s over the UM-2s, it must be junk, If it's not, THEN THERE WE GO!
Not only are his false claims unfair to the ES-2's but unfair to the Supermacro as-well.

Jan 10, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #10 of 19
I had the UM2/UM56 combination for a year before I got the ES2's and my reaction was the opposite to jlingo's. I was floored by the improvement of the ES2's over the UM2's. No contest, wasn't even close. The UM2/UM56 isolation and comfort level does not compare, and either does the SQ. The ES2's are much more detailed as well. I do not find there is a treble roll off with the ES2's,though I don't find them to be overly bright,either. There is no hiss present whatsoever with an RSA Tomahawk or Hornet, which both synergize very well with the ES2's. I agree that the UM56 tips do improve the SQ of the UM2's quite a bit, but not to the level of the ES2. The dual bore technology with the ES2 ensures better frequency separation than that of the UM2, even though they both use the same drivers, which would account for the near Ety-like detail of the ES2.

Jan 10, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #11 of 19
I agree with Pete7... ES2 was a major leap up in SQ from the UM2... better extension on both ends, more detail, sweeter vocals, etc.

I'm not surprised about the comments re: the OPA627 when I heard it in my PRII with the ES2 it did not synergize well IMO. AD8397 was my favorite and The SM is not junk! I've owned a couple of them and although the enclosure is not up to RSA or Headroom quality the sound and options are top notch.

I have not heard the Sensa's but if the ES2's were brighter I'd cringe... sounds like the OP just has ears less sensitive to higher freq than most of us.

Jan 10, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_Carter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Besides are you talking about UM2 by itself or UM2(UM56). UM2 is boomy, muddy, definitely high rolled off.

UM2(UM56) is a completely different animal.

Try to listen to Supermacro IV Max-Out Opa627 with UM2(UM56), you will be glad you have tried.

Jan 10, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too was surprised by the comments about UM2 w/UM56 having more articulate bass than the ES2s. I haven't heard the ES2, but from what little time I had with the UM2s, they don't have very articulate bass at all. I find it very difficult to accept the vastly more expensive and venerable ES2 having worse bass than the UM2, even if the UM2 had custom sleeves.

Like what fongalv said, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and you can't really comment on how others' listening experiences.

Having just paid and had impressions done for a pair of ACS T2 custom IEM, I am very encouraged by jlingo's impressions of the Sensaphonics ProPhonic 2X-S since the ACS T2 should be pretty similar-sounding (T2 have softer silicone, cord and 'new' HF balanced armature driver, but may not be sonically similar to the more recent 2X-S because the latter had been revised with new drivers a few months ago iirc). I'm not too fussed about the OP's comfort issues because everyone's ears are different and this is the first time I've read about comfort problems with custom IEMs.

Yup, that's what I've read too. Don't take jlingo's comments personally though. Each person has a different set of ears and we hear differently.

Sensaphonics also got its HF upgraded few months ago. However, You have made the right decision, Andy at ACS is such a great guy, great service. Next time around, I would buy from him also.

As with UM56, I think most people partly are having problems with inserting and getting proper isolation. I think it's not easy one to put on. Unlike ES2 which is such a breeze to insert. Fortunately in my case putting on UM56 with UM2 only takes less than 10 seconds.

I would love to think that ES2 is better than UM2(UM56) since I paid with my own money for my ES2. It's just the combination of Supermacro OPA627 with UM2(UM56) making the vocal way too sweet, and involving. I don't get similar feelings with ES2. I haven't listened to Hornet ES2 combination before. I heard people comment on ES2 with Hornet for having the best synergy.

UM2(UM56) when it's paired with supermacro IV Max-Out(OPA627) got an amazing synergy.

Jan 10, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the UM2/UM56 combination for a year before I got the ES2's and my reaction was the opposite to jlingo's. I was floored by the improvement of the ES2's over the UM2's. No contest, wasn't even close. The UM2/UM56 isolation and comfort level does not compare, and either does the SQ. The ES2's are much more detailed as well. I do not find there is a treble roll off with the ES2's,though I don't find them to be overly bright,either. There is no hiss present whatsoever with an RSA Tomahawk or Hornet, which both synergize very well with the ES2's. I agree that the UM56 tips do improve the SQ of the UM2's quite a bit, but not to the level of the ES2. The dual bore technology with the ES2 ensures better frequency separation than that of the UM2, even though they both use the same drivers, which would account for the near Ety-like detail of the ES2.

Hi Pete7,

I understand, your comments from the previous posts. Unfortunately I got different findings, that's why I decided to leave a short comment. I'm also in disbelief for liking more UM2(UM56) than ES2. I haven't listened to ES2 with Hornet and I heard they have an amazing synergy.

UM2(UM56) has an amazing synergy with supermacro IV maxout(OPA627). ES2 doesn't have a positive effect with supermacro IV(OPA627). But once you swap the opamps to OPA134, ES2 sounds much better. More 3D, bigger and soudstage, it's got that sweet layered midrange.

Directly from iPod ES2 also has more hiss than UM2(UM56). I prefer a blacker background(Less hiss) of UM2(UM56).

If I have the same opinion as Pete7, I wouldn't have posted anything in the first place. Why bother? my time is also money, not worth posting the same thing over and over IMO.

Because I find different things, that's why I posted, I would like to hear other people experience, I would like to learn from them by looking at the source and the the Amp they use. Perhaps some sort of synergy. That's why I have also ordered AD8397 based on Wakeride74 findings.

ES2 improves a lot when you pair it with Supermacro Max-Out(Opa134). This configuration doesn't have an exceptional synergy with UM2(UM56). WIth OPA134 and UM2(UM56), the vocal is lot less sweet. The overal sound however is more balanced, more analytical, and more sterile. But it's no longer UM2 sound signature.

Bottom line, I find UM2(UM56) sounds very musical and addicting. It's hard to describe. It's more like comparing SR-71 which is very musical, and sweet with other SS amp that has detailed and balanced sound signature. I find UM2(UM56) has Sylvania tube kind of vocal.

Jan 10, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with Pete7... ES2 was a major leap up in SQ from the UM2... better extension on both ends, more detail, sweeter vocals, etc.

I'm not surprised about the comments re: the OPA627 when I heard it in my PRII with the ES2 it did not synergize well IMO. AD8397 was my favorite and The SM is not junk! I've owned a couple of them and although the enclosure is not up to RSA or Headroom quality the sound and options are top notch.

I have not heard the Sensa's but if the ES2's were brighter I'd cringe... sounds like the OP just has ears less sensitive to higher freq than most of us.

Sensaphonics is brighter and much more balanced, separation and details than ES2.

I prefer quality mid-range, quality high frequency, quality bass. Quality high frequency like RS-1(properly Amped), and I'm a fan of PS-1.

I'm enjoying my RS-1 very well with Earmax. I just hope I could afford one of those PS-1, high quality deep bass, with exceptionally refined midrange. Good combination you've got there wakeride74

Users who are viewing this thread

Back