sensaphonics: then and now
Oct 30, 2008 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

finalfilppula

New Head-Fier
i've heard mumblings about sensaphonics not being as good as they once were? what have you guys heard? i'm really looking forward to getting a pair but i'd like some advice, i guess.

thanks!

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by finalfilppula /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've heard mumblings about sensaphonics not being as good as they once were? what have you guys heard? i'm really looking forward to getting a pair but i'd like some advice, i guess.

thanks!

Hi there. Haven't been to this site in several years. In fact, I haven't worked at Shure in over 3 years. I'm now independent (marketing etc), and one of my clients is Sensaphonics.

Let me start by disabusing you of the notion that Sensaphonics changed its drivers. That's simply unfounded hearsay. It is, however, true that our newest product (3D Active Ambient) uses different drivers than our previous ones, but the ProPhonic 2X-S and 2MAX remain unchanged (although there was a change in cable suppliers at one point.

It is also true that the company does not actively court the audiophile market.

Sensaphonics earphone products are designed specifically for touring musicians. In general, our mission is to help people in high-impact industries, concentrating on live sound but also working with aeronautics (NASA, airline pilots), motorsports (Indy Racing League), etc. We don't have a universal-fit product, and never will, because we firmly believe that custom fit silicone earpieces are the way to go, especially for our customer base.

So, unlike our friends at Ultimate, Westone, etc., we are not chasing iPod users or audiophiles. Not that we don't love you -- it's just that we are a small company that concentrates on our specialty.

I'll try to check back in a few days to see if there are any questions.

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 7
I just received my new ProPhonic 2X-S, and while I no longer have my old ones for comparison, to my ears the new ones sound slightly different from the older ones. These differences may be the result of the differences in manufacture of the individual monitors. They are custom made and I suspect that no pair is ever exactly alike. Also, I find that my fit with the new monitors is tighter than the old fit giving me more isolation. I'll have to use them a bit longer before I can assess whether they are as comfortable as the older ones. Sometimes they can create a sore spot in the ear canal that becomes evident over time as you wear them. I'm hoping there will be no such problem because that means another trip to the audiologist and then shipping them back to Sensaphonics and waiting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back