sensaphonics site
Sep 12, 2004 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

nappin

New Head-Fier
Has anybody viewed the sensaphonics site lately? It has a order form (good instead of sending emails heheh - process oriented systems are always better), mold color options (very cool. mine is all black) and you actually get to see what the removable cord looks like!! I wore these again on my long car trip and am absolutely convinced I made the right decision. I feel no pain after hours of use and every note is given with warmth and detail. One can even follow the bass notes heard in techno or trance music. Quite amazing. Everything is so sharp and discrete but blends in very nicely. One can either concentrate on a particular instrument or just enjoy the music overall.

With comfort, color choices, case and cord, I would pick the phones again. =)

Sep 12, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 27
that break-away cord looks like it might be a little too bulky for portable use.

does anyone know if the break-away cord plugs directly into the normal 1/8th inch jack on the standard cable, or if modifications must be made to standard cable in order to use the break-away?

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 27
The break-away cord has 1/8" Males on both ends (neutriks) and connects to the Femals 1/8" receptacle on the IEM (attached to the short Teflon cords). The 2 separate teflon cables (1 for each IEM) meet at the Female connector and are covered by apporx. 2" of tubing that is a bit heavier than the "memory" cable.

I have had no problem with the break-away set-up and travel with these many times a month. It is a tad bulkier than the e5 that you used to have, but not so much that I have noticed any issue. I prefer having the flexibility of variable cord lengths with these.

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmascatello
...connects to the Femals 1/8" receptacle on the IEM (attached to the short Teflon cords). The 2 separate teflon cables (1 for each IEM) meet at the Female connector and are covered by apporx. 2" of tubing that is a bit heavier than the "memory" cable.

can you explain this a bit more?

i am guessing the wires i have now would have to be modded, because there is nowhere for a male connection to go.

Sep 13, 2004 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster22
i am guessing the wires i have now would have to be modded, because there is nowhere for a male connection to go.

Yup. Where the left and right cables, comming from the pnones, meet, there is a female neutrik connector.

Sep 13, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 27
For non-musicians, they recomend the regular 4' cord and then you can add an extention cord of any length to it. The extention cord has a female connection to plug into the headphone cord and a male into the source.

The break-away cable is only 2' feet from the drivers with a female end. You then plug a male-male extention cord into it. The break-away is bulkier and it made for the musician to quickly unplug from the set and also have more options to length.

Sep 13, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
For non-musicians, they recomend the regular 4' cord and then you can add an extention cord of any length to it. .

BY regular do you mean "single teflon" or "twisted" ?

Also any idea if they would do a custom length such as 3' 6" instead of 4' ?

Sep 13, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by penbat
BY regular do you mean "single teflon" or "twisted" ?

Also any idea if they would do a custom length such as 3' 6" instead of 4' ?

I believe the standard is the "single teflon" from the drivers that becomes twisted when they meet. I guess the "twisted" might be like the etys, twisted all they way up to the drivers?

I don't know if they do custom but I'd imagine they would since they whole thing is custom. I found the 4' just perfect because the twisted bottom is so flexible. The extention cord is made of a thicker cable and has a little clip, just like the etys, so you can attach it to you so it doesn't move around. You do not use a clip for the regular part of the cord, it just hangs there but has very little microphonics.

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 27
The "single, continuous teflon" is the same type of cable I have. It is straight from the joint up to the driver, and a twisted cable from the joint down to the plug.

They don't do any custom length with those, just the standard 50 inch.

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 27
Are the two types of extension setups something like this?
2X-SExtensionOptions.jpg

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #11 of 27
no, there's only one type of extension set-up... and that would be the bottom one of your picture there.

The other "extension" set-up is not really a set-up.. it's simply a normal 2X-S with its normal wire and you put on whatever extension cable you want... you don't even have to get the cable from Sensaphonics (although they do make nice ones), you can get a Radioshack extension cable for that if you want (obviously the sound isn't that great out of them).

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 27
Yeah, sorry. I actually intended to do it like that but drew it the wrong way. But I understand now.

In the end you can extend the cord anyway, just that it's better to do it with the Sensa cord (bottom) than with the Radio Shack one (top) b/c the Sensa cord should be of higher quality.

So it's like this:
2X-SExtensionOptions2.jpg

(not to scale)

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Are the two types of extension setups something like this?
2X-SExtensionOptions.jpg

If buying from Sensaphonics, that almost correct. The difference is the true break-away cable is shorter from the drivers, I believe 2' and has a heavier female connector. This is a done deal if requested unless you send it back. This setup doesn't make sense for using a portable and home setup since you have to swap out cable at that connection point.

The other setup is just the normal setup with 4' thin cable that terminates into a regular male headphone plug. You would use it this way for portable and attach the extention cord for home use. As lindrone pointed out, you can buy an extention cable anywhere but the one from sensas is only $10 and has a little ety type clip to keep it attached to you.

Also, the top setup is not called a break-away cable, only the bottom one. If you mention break-away that is what you'll get. The top is just having an extention cable added.

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #14 of 27
eek.gif
(I hope I get it right this time)

OK, like this....

2X-SExtensionOptions3.jpg

(not to scale)

Sep 13, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
eek.gif
(I hope I get it right this time)

OK, like this....

2X-SExtensionOptions3.jpg

(not to scale)

Yes but you can also get an extention cable from sensaphonics as well. Just don't refer to that setup as a breakaway cable. I don't know what RadioShack charges but $10 from sensaphonics is nothing when I paid $200 for my Zu cable for the hd650. I think cables make less difference with these headphones since they are so efficient.

One more thing. Notice you cannot use the breakaway cable without an extention cable added vs the normal setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back