Sensaphonics introduces field-replaceable cables to 2XS, 2MAX
Sep 17, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the JH13Pro also and while they are very nice sounding, the 2X-s is easier to use for a variety of things. it also sounds very nice. the anchored cable alone is great, though if it broke, I am unsure of what to do.

Glad that mine will have the replaceable cable that's still very recessed compared to the JH products.

Sep 17, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It should still be 750$. I will be completing my reviews of the 2X-S and JH13Pro in the next couple of weeks. Both are very good products.

Great, I'm looking forward to your one on one comparison of sound quality, timbre, and workmanship of the two phones. Always good to get a direct comparison from someone, even if you can't hear them both yourself.

My decision for another set of custom IEM's has grown stagnant, just from debating the possibilities!

Sep 21, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by zb0430 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey shigzeo,

How much more robust would you say the JH-13 Pro is in the bass department? I'm assuming it's got a bit more heft there, but to what extent?

The JH13 is supposed to be worse than the Sensaphonic in terms of bass.

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobayashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The JH13 is supposed to be worse than the Sensaphonic in terms of bass.

Inferences would not have led me to believe that at all. If that's the case, then the JH-13 Pro is certainly not the phone for me, but somehow I find that to be doubtful.

What made you conclude that the JH-13 are supposed to be "worse" than the 2X-S in the bass department? "Worse" as in lacking, or less controlled?

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #39 of 45
it surely isn't weak in comparison, but its a different flavour. the jh13pro is quite flat while the 2x-s is nearly flat, but has a slightly more excited middle. the sound of the 2x-s is thicker. i cannot do a direct comparison right now as i am running out to buy speaker cable, but i can try later. suffice to say, they are both great and i actually have no real preference for sound. the jh13 is certainly laid back in comparison to some of my other customs, but is no 'worse' than the 2x-s or others.

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Inferences would not have led me to believe that at all. If that's the case, then the JH-13 Pro is certainly not the phone for me, but somehow I find that to be doubtful.

What made you conclude that the JH-13 are supposed to be "worse" than the 2X-S in the bass department? "Worse" as in lacking, or less controlled?

Laid back, flat bass sounds good to you? If so, enjoy the JH13. It was made to be neutral and lacks bass compared to JH's other offerings. Just ask Jerry if you don't believe me. If you want a neutral monitor, the JH13 is the best choice. That's not what I was after so I got the 2X-S instead.

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #41 of 45
From indications I had read, the JH-13 possesses a hearty low end that has a bit of a peak at around 40-50 Hz that gives it ethereal power. Maybe that's not the case, from what I'm reading in this thread, cause I wouldn't assumed that it would compete favorably to the 2X-S in that category.

I find myself EQ'ing the 40-60 Hz range of the 2X-S just a hair to give it the thump I desire for "fun" listening, but find it great to leave things flat as a reference point when I'm mixing or playing.

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #42 of 45
Quote:

From indications I had read, the JH-13 possesses a hearty low end that has a bit of a peak at around 40-50 Hz that gives it ethereal power. Maybe that's not the case, from what I'm reading in this thread, cause I wouldn't assumed that it would compete favorably to the 2X-S in that category.

I find myself EQ'ing the 40-60 Hz range of the 2X-S just a hair to give it the thump I desire for "fun" listening, but find it great to leave things flat as a reference point when I'm mixing or playing.

You might want to check again. The JH13 has two very small dynamic armature drivers for bass and is anything but powerful when it comes to bass. The JH13 is all about balance and neutrality.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #43 of 45
They're balanced armature drivers. Two devoted to lows. The 2X-S has one devoted to that task.

Impressions in the JH-13 appreciation thread seem to indicate the contrary of your stance on the JH-13's bass performance, though they speak fondly of the balance and neutrality of the phone. I wish I could hear for myself prior to buying...

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

They're balanced armature drivers. Two devoted to lows. The 2X-S has one devoted to that task.

We know. Please reference post #42.

Feel free to quote any reviews stating that the JH13 dominates in bass output and isn't totally neutral in presentation between bass, mids and highs.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #45 of 45
I was simply correcting your mis-spoken reference to the drivers as "dynamic" armatures.

I didn't say that it dominated in bass output. I didn't say they were not balanced. I simply inferred that its lower frequency response (10 Hz vs. 20 Hz) and the increase in dedicated drivers would likely lead to a more substantial, robust low end when directly compared to the 2X-S. The 2X-S isn't exactly known for a robust bass.

HPA's review is perhaps the main one that led me to believe there was a low end boost at an impactful 50 Hz, where things quickly approach the level of being more felt than heard. I can audibly discern a difference down to around 15-20 Hz, and discern audio down to 13 Hz. Below 20 Hz, it's difficult to discern a difference in frequencies for anyone.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...e11pro-440051/

Then, some confirmations from others in their reviews led me to the same conclusion.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...13-pro-440861/

It seemed to be echoed by others impressed with the bass in the appreciation thread.

I wasn't talking about frequency imbalance in the JH-13 bass, but rather linearity and robust-ness throughout the spectrum. You've likely not heard much linear frequency balance down to 20 Hz if your exposure to audio is limited to headphones, instead of large venue systems and home theater settings. The 2X-S certainly doesn't possess that quality, though it's a great phone. I doubt the JH-13 Pro does either, but I inferred that it is likely closer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back