Sensaphonics How to use?
Jan 31, 2005 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jlingo

500+ Head-Fier
I have just received my sensaphonics.
How do you insert the it properly. I find it hard to insert. How to get a good seal? I tried to put it as deep and it hurts my right ear like suction.
Also Does Sensaphonics need burn in?

Thanks

Jan 31, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 13
I seem to remember them suggesting a twisting motion.

If you think that is hard, try borrowing someone elses earmolds...
rolleyes.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 13
you need to put the stem just into your ear canal and then twist the rest into place whilst guiding the stem the rest of the way in (aiming for about a quarter turn is ideal). Once it's in place fully, pull the ear lobe down to break the seal for a moment which will release any pressure.

There is a quicktime clip off someone insterting an ultimate ears IEM in another thread if you want to do a search ...

Jan 31, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 13
When I use etymotic foamies, I find that my left ear felt more comfortable, it seemed that my ety could sit deeper or something.
Now with Sensaphonics the same thing. My left ear one shot, and it's sealed. My right ear, one shot and it's not really sealed. I have to press it in, and then, kept pressing it in for few minutes before it's sealed in. Is this because of the nature of my right ear and nothing can be done about it?

Thanks,

Jan 31, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 13
well, it probably just means you need to experiment with insertion techniques until the difficult ear is ok. you might find that a slight twist the oppposite way helps a bit, or pulling your upper ear out and up during the insertion process. did u get some ottoferm with the X2s ?

Jan 31, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 13
I just used Vaseline(White Petroleum Jelly) and it helped a lot. Is this normal?
I have to use both ears with Vaseline so that it sounds great. Otherwise I'm losing details.

Feb 1, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo
I just used Vaseline(White Petroleum Jelly) and it helped a lot. Is this normal?
I have to use both ears with Vaseline so that it sounds great. Otherwise I'm losing details.

You should buy oto-ease instead:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/earplugs...uforcuplm.html

The vaseline will clog the holes.

Holding down the earpiece is not normal. You still might not be inserting in right. It should twist in and the top piece should tuck into the upper part of your ear. You start with the top piece point down a twist forward and up while slight pushing in. It takes about a week to perfect. Once you got it down, you probably won't need the oto-ease either.

Feb 1, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 13
Just give them a couple days of burn in and by then you should have perfected your inserting technique. If they still don't seal with ease and without vaseline go to the audiologist and get them re-fitted. For $800 They should be perfect and not need vaseline. You probably just need some practice but if that doesn't work don't hesitate to re-fit them.

Feb 1, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #13 of 13
The main reason you would need something like oto-ease is because you ears get sore from inserting them wrong in the beginning. This helps you learn without the fustration and pain. The only problem with it is it can build up in the headphone so you have to clean them more often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back