Sensaphonics help please.
Jan 2, 2005 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

mbratrud

100+ Head-Fier
After reading literally everything a search brought out on the Sensaphonics I am very interested in these to use as a compliment to my unamped iPod mini (All tracks ripped lossless from commercial CD's).

The thing is that I have always seen these discussed in terms of other canal phones - most particularly the UEs. What I am most interested in is some indication of what they sound like in comparison to standard headphones, which is all that I have experienced.

Lindrone's comments made me very interested but I PMed him and have heard nothing so perhap somebody else could let me know.

I have owned the following headphones for comparison:
Sony MDR R-10
ATH W2002
Senn HD650s w/ SIlver Dragons
Grado HP-2
Grado RS-1
Sony D66 eggos
ATH EW-9

I have owned the following amplifiers:
Singlepower Maestro (all upgrades)
Cary 300SEI w/ Western Electric 300Bs
Singlepower MPX3
Ray Samuels Emmeline HR-2

I could buy an Ray Samuels SR-71 as I want a portable rig but from what I can make out there is very little if no advantage to this with an iPod source.

ANYBODY?

Jan 2, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 23
In my experience, the Sensaphonics are much more exciting than the HD-580 + Oehlbach cable (don't know about the 650s + SD), and have a soundstage that is about the same size. Though they don't have the same "openness", of course.

I'd say the Sensaphonics are definitely warmer and have more body than the Sony CD-3000s, but are not as dark/warm as the HD-580s. The soundstage is not nearly as huge as the CD-3000s "hyped" soundstage, and can actually sound weird if you have just been listening to the CD-3000s. The weirdness goes away after a few minutes though, as your brain compensates for it or something like that.

They're also much more comfortable than either, once you get the molds right. They don't clamp like the Sennheisers and they don't give you the "hot ears" feeling that the CD-3000s can give you on a warm day.

While I'm not sure if the 2X-S require amping itself, it *is* pretty well established that the iPod's line out (through the default dock or the Sik Din or Pocketdock adapters) is better sounding than the headphone out. I don't know about the iPod mini, though. Also, I'd buy a SuperMacro, which is cheaper and smaller than the SR-71, and has been said to offer comparable sound.

Jan 2, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 23
I only have an HD650/Zu Mobius, Grado SR-225, and Shure E3C to compare with the sensaphonics 2X-s. I am also new to audio so take this with a grain of salt.
1) The 2X-S is nowhere near the SR-225 sound. The SR-225 is definitely brighter and have less soundstage. The 2X-S is warmer than the SR-225...
2)...but not as warm as the HD650 with stock cable. If you brighten the HD650 with an aftermarket cable, that is how the 2X-S sounds to me. The 2X-S sounds close to the HD650/Zu -- how close is hard for me to tell because of inexperience with other headphones.
3) 2X-S compared to Shure E3C -- no comparison, 2X-s is WAY better sounding. Shure E3C has high frequency roll-off and non-existant bass by comparison.
4) SR-71 in general -- I use this with my iPod mini and Meridian G08. The SR-71 has a better soundstage, detail, and focus compared to my Rega Ear. Can't go wrong with the SR-71 in terms of build quality and sound. I have not heard the supermacro so can't comment on it, but I am sure it is also an excellent amp given the strong following on this site.
5) SR-71 with 2X-s -- you get even more detail and soundstage compared to unamped. How much more is debatable. From a practical standpoint, I would rather go ampless when on the go (on the bus, working out, etc.). As a transportable (on the plane, hotel room, different rooms in the house), it is worth it. Here's my (320K AAC)iPod mini=>pocketdock=>Earcandy mini-mini=>SR-71=>2X-S transportable:

IMG_0561.jpg

Jan 3, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbratrud
Lindrone's comments made me very interested but I PMed him and have heard nothing so perhap somebody else could let me know.

Ha.. sorry, I've completely neglected answering PM's.. I just got World of Warcraft recently.. and that's... uh.. you can guess what's happened since.

Quote:

I have owned the following headphones for comparison:
Sony MDR R-10
ATH W2002
Senn HD650s w/ SIlver Dragons
Grado HP-2
Grado RS-1
Sony D66 eggos
ATH EW-9

I can't say anything at all about the R-10, having never heard it myself. Compared to ATH-W2002, which I've auditioned several times, that I've never found anything that's truly remarkable about W2002's capability even compared to CD3000... given that I think the microdynamic and bass extension is much better with the 2X-S than a stock CD3000, you can guess about how I would compare them to W2002. Although I know there are characteristics of W2002 that one may find endearing, they seem to be more genre-specific than I would've liked in a headphone.

I've heard HD650's w/ Silver Dragons shortly, and greatly preferred Zu Mobius over it, so my comparison is more with the Zu combination instead. The bass extension on the 2X-S will be much better than HD650's, and the general dynamic of the sound is better and more suited for fast-paced music. Of course HD650 still has a dark, organic airiness with certain music, but overall I would take 2X-S over HD650 just about any day. HD650 remains a headphone that's very good for slower music, but lacks the dynamic speed it needs to get pop/rock genre for me.

Can't say much about HP-2, but I've tested RS-1 and HP-1 before. 2X-S is not quite as "fast" as Grado's still, but Grados are definitely the fastest sounding headphone around. 2X-S sounds more natural and more realistic, with a rich amount of detail that maybe only HP-1 can compare to in that combination. Although I have to say HP-1 & Gilmore V2 (or V2-SE) absolutely rocks, it still sings the old Grado song of "no soundstage needed". Although HP-1 portrays a better soundstage than all other Grados that I've heard, simply because of the accuracy of sound reproduction itself; it is still lacking compared to any headphone in that price range, 2X-S included. 2X-S has probably by far the best soundstage out of any in-ear, and the soundstage is significantly better than any Grados.

Eggos won't even compare, so no need to talk about that, throw Grado in the trash compacter and grind away. Can't say much about EW-9, but I doubt it'll compare either.

Quote:

I could buy an Ray Samuels SR-71 as I want a portable rig but from what I can make out there is very little if no advantage to this with an iPod source.

For me it's simply a matter of heft rather than performance. The performance improvement with SR-71 is distinct and definitely appreciable. It would've been completely worth the money for me from the sound perspective, even with iPod as the source. I just don't want to carry another thing around with me at all times.

BTW, SR-71 sounds remarkably close to HR-2, it makes a serious run for taking over a "home system" amp.

Jan 3, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 23
Hmmm...My source is most definitely the iPod mini so all comments should reflect that assumption. I could get the Sr-71 (or any other amplifier if one was better for a truly portable system) but I'd only want the additional weigth/space if the improvement was proportional.

Lindrone, I am most interested in your observations since they have led me to the Sensas. I have never heard the Zu but suffice it to say that I have no ego investment in the Sliver Dragons, just experience with them. I have not really found the HD650s (with the Maestro) to be dark so much as veiled but I think I know where you are coming from!

Let me ask this: Do you think that the iPod mini is capable of driving the Sensas? I mean do you think it needs an amplifier and if so which one (must be portable)?

Is the iPod a source so limited that the Sensas cannot sound comparable to the HD650s using it....I am sure the Meridian is better than the iPod but in my case I am looking to create a system using the iPod as a source for portable reasons....at home I have a system so home use is not really applicable to me situation.

thanks....

Jan 3, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Is the iPod a source so limited that the Sensas cannot sound comparable to the HD650s using it

My newbie ears don't think so.

Without an amp (i.e., from the iPod mini headphone jack), the Sensas will hose the HD650/Zu -- no question. The HD650/Zu sounds veiled in comparison. With the SR-71 thrown into the mix and off the iPod mini line out, the HD650/Zu comes alive. I say the 2X-s is at least 90% the sound of the HD650/Zu when amped from the iPod mini line out.

The key thing to remember is that portable usually means ampless. In that case, nothing approaches the sensas except, maybe, the UE10pro (can't tell, I haven't heard it).

Jan 3, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #8 of 23
wow patb, thats some incredible setup u got there (in the picture).
Makes me curious, i just spent similar money to what sensaphonics cost on my recently acquired hp1s. I dont know if i could deal with buying those though, i mean there is no ever turning back, they are yours forever : / (Or your clones if u like ? )

Jan 3, 2005 at 11:40 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Let me ask this: Do you think that the iPod mini is capable of driving the Sensas? I mean do you think it needs an amplifier and if so which one (must be portable)?

There's still a difference between having an amp and without, but is the experience with Sensas alone with the iPod good enough? It most definitely comes as close to having a full home system in your pocket as it's going to be. There are plenty of people who are happy with the Sensa & no amp, a lot of people who used to swear by amps that are no longer carrying them.

Quote:

Is the iPod a source so limited that the Sensas cannot sound comparable to the HD650s using it....I am sure the Meridian is better than the iPod but in my case I am looking to create a system using the iPod as a source for portable reasons....at home I have a system so home use is not really applicable to me situation.

Personally, I was never a fan of the HD650 (or HD580/600 for that matter) because of its "veil" and its general slowness of sound. Of course HD650 is a lot better than HD580/600, but it just still doesn't sound dynamic enough. On that level alone, Sensas are already more enjoyable, regardless of which system it's coming out of. Keep in mind that these IEMs were designed for portable use first, musician's wireless beltpacks isn't the greatest thing on earth. So they're designed to sound good out of even barely adequate sources.

There are still reasons that Sennheiser fans will like their HD650's more even after they've purchased Sensas. However, just because how well Sensa does across all genre of music, as opposed to Sennheiser's sound signature which definitely has certain weaknesses to them (or just doesn't do them as well as other headphones in that arena); Sensas are much better overall headphones across all different genres.

I wouldn't be surprised that for some people (yours truly included), that Sensas starts to become the primary home headphone of choice rather than any other full-size.

Jan 3, 2005 at 12:01 PM Post #10 of 23
I have the iHP but darn close to iPOD. Sensa's will not replace my R10s as home choice, nor if I was limited to CD3Ks or HD650s but they are worthy of a high-end home phone, in part because of great isolation, allows you to immerse yourself in audio despite what else is going on. Great for lying down, which others are definitely not suited.

90% I deal with the extra heft and use the SR-71 it is a noticeable difference. Geez you go this far man why not go whole hog?

DAP most lossless. Only thing that could possibly improve is a Picollo DAC via optical out, but the battery pack on Pic` is a MONSTER.

All ya have to do is get two of those cell phone belt holders one for DAP and other for SR71 and good to go. If you stuff in a bag then all the better SR71 is small.

Unless you have a mini DAP then kind of hefty already. I am looking for a smaller DAP for ultra portability in which case will sacrifice the quality for convenience, but still knowing best I can do under circumstances.

Enjoy regardless.

Jan 3, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 23
I used to be one of those people that preferred the sensas ampless with the ipod because my portable amp was a PPA w/battery board/diamond buffer and it's the weight and size a brick.

I decided to try using it again just for sound comparison and it was such a big improvement that I just purchased a SR-71. I love this amp. It sounds almost as good as my PPA but it's about the same size as the ipod and just a little heavier (4 times smaller than the PPA). It deepens the bass, improves the soundstage, brings out the vocals, greatly improves instrument seperation, and has no hiss what so ever. It even powers my hd650/zu pretty damn good.

I plan to still keep my PPA for home use because the SR-71 is just not that convenient (battery powered, mini jacks) and it nice to have the home amp already setup and ready to go.

I also still prefer my hd650/zu to the sensas. They have just a little more starkle in the highs and the airy texture is just a pleasure to listen to. Most of my music is slow to mid tempo so I don't require a super fast headphone.

Although I slightly prefer the hd650/zu to the sensas, I have no complaints about them. They are great for all types of music especially rock.

Edit: I know people love their highend interconnect cables, but I find them inconvenient for portable use because of how big and inflexible they are. The best cable I found for portable use is the Plastics One (now just listed as Headroom) mini to mini. This is the same cable company the sensas, ultimate ears, etys, and shures use for their cables.

Here's the link: http://headphone.com/layout.php?topi...tID=0050370001

Jan 3, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #12 of 23
Actually, if you'd just searched, there's been lots and lots of comparions of the Sensas to full-sized headphones.
wink.gif
I'll second much of what has been said here about the 600's in comparison to the Sensas. Basically, the Sensas have made that 650 upgrade more of a priority.
wink.gif

The nice thing about the Sensas is that they grow as you move up the audio chain, but also are enjoyable from portable sources as well. It's not a night and day growth, but it is growth.

I prefer to use the Sensas amped from the ipod. There's just more depth and definition, enough for it to matter... at least to me.

Jan 3, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #13 of 23
Of course, it's important to keep in mind that a lot of the things said about how one phone compares with another phone are often matters of personal preference and opinion. Sometimes these things get stated as if they are matters of fact. There are several comments on this thread regarding the sound of certain Sennheiser products, or the comparison of IEM's with over-the-ear phones in general, that I disagree with completely, as far as what I have experienced in my personal listening experience. Thus, it bears emphasis again that your mileage may vary.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #14 of 23
Thanks for the info on the cable. That is something I forgot to ask - What mini-to-mini cable is best with the SR-71 (since it would appear that there is no real competition for the SR-71 in the portable arena?).

Is the $149 ear candy the best? or worth it considering that the iPod will be the only source?

I live in a small town (but it is a large medical community) and while I know I can find an audiologist I am not sure that they are going to be well trained in makeing the mold. How many of you had to have their sensas sent back for remolding? DID EVERYONE eventually get a proper fit or was ist complicated enough to get a good fit that some of you just sort of gave up and made due with what you got despite the fact that they could fit better?

Thanks so much fo the information. It is truly wonderful to speak directly with people who own and use this product and not have to depend totally on discussions with the manufacturer.

Jan 3, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Thanks for the info on the cable. That is something I forgot to ask - What mini-to-mini cable is best with the SR-71 (since it would appear that there is no real competition for the SR-71 in the portable arena?).

Is the $149 ear candy the best? or worth it considering that the iPod will be the only source?

The ear candy might sound better but I don't see the point having a interconnect cable being better than the actually headphone cable. The Plastic One cable is the same cable as the sensa cable. Look at the tip.

I bought Zu interconnect for my hd650 since I was also using the Zu Mobius headphone cable. In that setup, it didn't make sense to bottleneck it.

I also went with the SR-71 over the supermacro because I felt Ray's amps were of a higher quality than Xin. I don't have to worry about new mods coming out every week or it's resale value going down. Just buy the amp and be done with it.

Edit: About the fit, if the molds seem off when they're drying in your ears, the actual headphones will fits that way too. Just make sure that they feel tight and snug, then you'll be sure to have a good fit. You can always have them make a second set of molds if you are unsure. Better to get the molds right the first time then have to return you headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back