Sensaphonics custom mold/audiologist question
Mar 7, 2005 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

EdipisReks

Banned
i have decided to get a set of Sensaphonic custom molds for my ER-4P's, and i notice on the Sensaphonic website that they suggest calling to get a list of Sensaphonic trained audiologist. if there isn't one in Cincinnati, should any audiologist be able to do the job properly? also, does anyone have an idea of what the turnaround time would be? thanks.

Mar 7, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 7
I believe any hearing aide center can handle this task. Before I even knew about this forum, I needed a way to listen to my MP3 player while wearing my motorcycle helmet. Based on what I read in a motorcycling catalogue, I ended up getting some Sony earbuds, ditching the little foam covers, and going to the audiologist on the corner.

He had never been asked to do such a task and was delighted, having been a biker himself for a number of years. He injected the foam into my ear canals and made perfect custom molds. He then drilled out holes just the right size to accomodate the earbuds. Total cost: $40!!! He even made me a second pair that weren't drilled out for when I just want quiet and no tunes. And when exactly would that be
280smile.gif
?

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Nick B

Mar 8, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 7
anyone else have a comment? another question i have is this: does the audiologist deal with Sensaphonics (in terms of sending in the molds, etc), or is that something i do? also, are there any tips for the actual procedure that anyone can offer? i know that i should keep my mouth open, but is there anything else that might help in getting a good, accurate mold?

Mar 8, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
anyone else have a comment? another question i have is this: does the audiologist deal with Sensaphonics (in terms of sending in the molds, etc), or is that something i do? also, are there any tips for the actual procedure that anyone can offer? i know that i should keep my mouth open, but is there anything else that might help in getting a good, accurate mold?

The audiologist I went to here in Tokyo (who is actually an agent for Sensaphonics, btw) had me move my head around (left/right, up/down) and talk a bit when the material was in my ears. Sure enough, the seal is perfect in both ears. (well, maybe not 100% perfect in the right ear because he couldn't get a deep enough impression due to a partial wax blockage just past the second bend ... stupid wax!)

Mar 8, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 7
EdipisReks

Might I suggest that you call the toll-free number at Sensaphonic, and ask for their assistance. They have a network of trained and certified audiologist that they will match up with your specific location.

While many may think that any hearing aid company can do these, there are special requirements that Sensaphonics wants re: the earmolds (i.e. the specific material, how deep the impression (beyond the second bend in the canal), and that the impression that covers the entire outside of the ear. Most of the techs they will recommend are used to their standards. Also, the technican will get a better impression if they have an electric dispenser that forces the material into your ear, rather than a syringe (w/o the needle) with which the pressure can vary during the application.

Your impressions should be done with an open jaw configuration. The technican can provide the bite block to use for the process.

If you go to see the network audiologist, it should run you approximately $30 for both ears, slightly more in the larger cities. They you can take the impressions and mail them yourself to Sensaphonic Customer Service. If the audiologist does this for you, you are probably looking at double the cost.

And here's the toll-free number for Sensaphonic in Chicago.
(877) 848-1714

Ask for Doris in Customer Service. She will be more than happy to assist you. Tell her David from Dallas referred you and told you what a sweetheart she is to deal with.

Hope this helps. Doris can answer any of your specific questions.

Mar 8, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 7
i contacted Sensaphonics and they gave me contact info for the recommended audiologist in Cincinnati. if the audiologist isn't open on saturdays i'm not sure exactly when i'll get a chance to go, but i'll post a review of the whole process when it's done. thanks guys!

Mar 10, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #7 of 7
Yeah I was also thinking about having this done. Let us know if you go on Saturday. I called Sensaphonics and might go to the audiologist when I head back to Asheville. Hopefully I will be able to afford both this and a new SuperMacro
etysmile.gif
Btw the Etys remind me of my old school gameboy earbuds. Check it out:
60634659461_3300_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back