Sensaphonics 2XS vs. Ultimate Ears UE10 (a comparison)
Oct 9, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #46 of 63
I just got off the phone with Sensaphonics and they clearly stated to me that they have NOT made any changes in the drivers of the Prophonic 2X-S in recent years. They only change they have made was to the cable which was improved to avoid breakage. They also now offer a "max" version which provides a lower impedance for musicians who need it but the original 2X-S uses the same driver today as it did originally, according to their customer support.

I am having to send my 2X-S back to them because the latest remake corrected the problem but now causes some pain because they are slightly too large. They will trim them slightly and return them in a day.

david

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #47 of 63
chowk -- I use the UE11Pro straight out of an iPod classic with no hiss. There was an ever so slight hiss out of my 5.5G iPod, but not with the new one (or the 3G Nano).

Lindrone -- so good to hear that you are alive!!!! People were worried about you -- wha happened??? What have you been up to?

SO great to hear from you!

And now you just have to get yourself some UE11Pros -- they are like honey!!!!!

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #48 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*sigh*... now I'm afraid that if my Sensa ever break... ugh.. don't even want to consider the possibility. Moving to UE-11 if that eventually comes down to it might be viable.. but I still don't like the material :/

Yes, I agree Material is hard and uncomfortable compared to Silicon based. there is no dobut about that.
frown.gif

I also love the comfort and softness of Sensa sillicone

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #50 of 63
I talked with my the audiologist I had before that fitted me with the Sensaphonics. She too verified that there has never been a driver change of any sort. The only change they've made to the 2X-S recently is the higher quality and sturdier cable.

I really don't know how this corresponds with jlingo's experience at all...

Somewhere down the road, I'll probably end up replacing my 2X-S, even though they're pretty much still in perfect shape right now. I may just get a new pair just for the new cables at some point. Maybe then, I will know for sure... but that may be still years down the road.. O.o

Quote:

Originally Posted by random person
Lindrone -- so good to hear that you are alive!!!! People were worried about you -- wha happened??? What have you been up to?

The company I worked for closed, prompting me to take a year off, mixing trip to visit my family in Taiwan with some freelance work (I went back & forth quite a few times during that year). My personal life just got really busy, so I just didn't post nor read the forum much anymore.

Another factor was... I got to hear some of the best headphones in the world at the last Head-fi meet I attended. I can't help walk away feeling, "That's it? That's all there is?" Sure, those headphones were amazing; but to me, the price to performance ratio is like climbing Mt. Himalaya to get a better view of the Golden Gate Bridge. Of course, to each their own... However I walked away really feeling, there's no huge reason to invest so heavily into the difference and gains that can be had.

Oct 11, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #51 of 63
Just when I thought I was out....they PULL ME BACK IN!

Well your review had a lot to do with why I chose Sensaphonic in the first place. That, and once I felt the material of both the UE and the 2X-S it was clear what would be more comfortable to me.

If I could only get through my fit issues...
rolleyes.gif

david

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #52 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got off the phone with Sensaphonics and they clearly stated to me that they have NOT made any changes in the drivers of the Prophonic 2X-S in recent years. They only change they have made was to the cable which was improved to avoid breakage. They also now offer a "max" version which provides a lower impedance for musicians who need it but the original 2X-S uses the same driver today as it did originally, according to their customer support.

I am having to send my 2X-S back to them because the latest remake corrected the problem but now causes some pain because they are slightly too large. They will trim them slightly and return them in a day.

david

Yeah but the sound signature CHANGED COMPLETELY in reality. It's not only slightly. That's the problem. :/
I was also lucky enough to have a chance to listen to Classic Sensa 2X-S at Jaben Store in Singapore since That store has the old version universal demo Sensa 2X-S unit and THAT IS THE ORIGINAL SENSA House sound. I A/Bed directly with my Sensaphonics and their sound ain't the same.
frown.gif

I emailed them many times, but without any reply from them.

I also did PM and discussed with few members in headfi, who also had their sensa replaced,and confirmed that they too noticed sonic changes such as Thin bass, sibilance, metallic sounding. That was about a year ago.

And recently I also read another headfi member just received Sensa and didn't like the sound signature, with metallic and sibilance sharp kinda sound.

The Classic Sensa shouldn't have any Sibilance, in fact may be preceived as slightly rolled off in the high for some people BUT with EXCEPTIONAL SMOOTHNESS across frequency spectrum, and EXCELLENT Deep tight bass(It really felt like Velodyne subwover in the ears). NO IEM up to now could match with Sensa Smoothness IMO.

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #53 of 63
Is it your opinion that the new cable did this or....
confused.gif

My Sensa's came right after the new cable was announced so I got it. It is strong (I felt the old one because my initial fit was at their office in Chi-town.).

I am stuck with these now and won't budge to UE or others until I get a year into them just for...well...fiscal responsibilities sake! Yeah yeah...I know...I bought a B-52 but somewhere the madness has to end...or at least taper.

david

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #54 of 63
Quote:

Is it your opinion that the new cable did this or....
confused.gif

My Sensa's came right after the new cable was announced so I got it. It is strong (I felt the old one because my initial fit was at their office in Chi-town.).

I am stuck with these now and won't budge to UE or others until I get a year into them just for...well...fiscal responsibilities sake! Yeah yeah...I know...I bought a B-52 but somewhere the madness has to end...or at least taper.

david

Hi David,

Could you please describe the sound signature of your Current Sensa 2X-S? Lindrone described Sensa 2X very nicely. His review is actually as accurate as it can be about UE10 and Sensa 2X. If the sound of your Sensa 2X doesn't really match Lindrone review then, the signature might have changed somehow, may be in the crossover section, or the cable, I dunno.

In my experience, cables and connectors are very important, incompatible cables and connectors may produce sibilance, and metallic sound. However, I'm not sure if this is what's happening with Sensa 2X-S.

If Sensa 2X-S changed signature doesn't mean that it's a bad thing. It's just that I'm already accustomed to the original 2X-S sound that I want the same sound signature back.

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #55 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi David,

Could you please describe the sound signature of your Current Sensa 2X-S? Lindrone described Sensa 2X very nicely. His review is actually as accurate as it can be about UE10 and Sensa 2X. If the sound of your Sensa 2X doesn't really match Lindrone review then, the signature might have changed somehow, may be in the crossover section, or the cable, I dunno.

In my experience, cables and connectors are very important, incompatible cables and connectors may produce sibilance, and metallic sound. However, I'm not sure if this is what's happening with Sensa 2X-S.

If Sensa 2X-S changed signature doesn't mean that it's a bad thing. It's just that I'm already accustomed to the original 2X-S sound that I want the same sound signature back.

I am resisting reading Lindrone's description because I don't want psychology to play a roll on this.

What stands out the most to me is over-brightness in the highs and slight sibilance in the mids. The mids are nicely detailed and slightly sibilant on some tracks as the mids have a tendency to stand out forward, especially vocals. The bass response is good, not great accuracy but good enough to be satisfied.

david

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #56 of 63
Quote:

I am resisting reading Lindrone's description because I don't want psychology to play a roll on this.

What stands out the most to me is over-brightness in the highs and slight sibilance in the mids. The mids are nicely detailed and slightly sibilant on some tracks as the mids have a tendency to stand out forward, especially vocals. The bass response is good, not great accuracy but good enough to be satisfied.

david

Yeah not supposed to be over brightness, should be slightly rolled off. and no sibilance. Bass should be excellent! Anyhow, your experience also has confirmed all.

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #57 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah not supposed to be over brightness, should be slightly rolled off. and no sibilance. Bass should be excellent! Anyhow, your experience also has confirmed all.

Well, I am pretty new to describing what I hear. My main frame of reference is listening my music with balanced Denon D2000s and SE DT880's via an RSA B-52 which has the most balanced and luscious sound I've ever heard. I only pick up my Sensa's when I a hit the road.

david

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #58 of 63
Also, I should mention that the person I am dealing with at Sensaphonics kind of told me they really don't thrive in the "audiophile" market because audiophiles tend to be very difficult to satisfy! My heart sank because I am one who is not so satisfied but as I wrote before, I will stick with these until I can justify a change and even then, still use them when performing since the vocals forward and sibilant nature of the mids can be helpful when staying on key/rhythm...even though accuracy is really what would be most helpful in the end.

david

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #59 of 63
I got my pair amost the end of last year. The more I listened to them, the more I had to agree with Lindrone's review.

As talk about "Thin bass, sibilance, metallic sounding", I can only say None of them absolutely.

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #60 of 63
Quote:

Well, I am pretty new to describing what I hear. My main frame of reference is listening my music with balanced Denon D2000s and SE DT880's via an RSA B-52 which has the most balanced and luscious sound I've ever heard. I only pick up my Sensa's when I a hit the road.

david

I remmenber B-52 is a tube amp. Someone told us that dual-drive can not pair well with tube amp. The high will be cut off and the low distort, the mids will sound very standout. is it ture?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back