Sensaphonics 2x-S ordered
Apr 22, 2004 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Tyson

Headphoneus Supremus
Wallet? What wallet? I had to sell my wallet (now that it's empty), along with all my other wordly possessions, to finance my headphone addiction.

My only regret is I don't have enough money to get both the 2X and the UE 10
eek.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 14
LOL.. 2X-S and UE-10 Pro ordered in the same day... (gorman posted he ordered the UE-10 Pro)

I don't think it'll be as much of a Shure versus Ety thing though...

An interesting point was brought up the other day by another Head-Fier to me... which I knew, but just often neglected to mention or think about. Fundamentally there's no different balanced armature drivers on the market. As Bangraman said a while back, he speculated the parts all came from the same place anyway.

Through some conversations and secondary sources, the balanced armature drivers for all canalphone manufacturers pretty much come from the same place. The only difference is the size of the diaphram, otherwise there's no material differences. So unlike headphones, which utilizes different driver diaphram and magnets and such, almost all canalphone uses the same components.

It's just the tweaking on top of that to get the type of sound signature a company wants...

Of course, there's a big difference between dual and single drivers, less of a different between dual and triple.. just as if there's ever going to be a quad driver canalphone one day.. there'd be even less of a difference
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 14
lindrone said:
LOL.. 2X-S and UE-10 Pro ordered in the same day... (gorman posted he ordered the UE-10 Pro)

I don't think it'll be as much of a Shure versus Ety thing though...

An interesting point was brought up the other day by another Head-Fier to me... which I knew, but just often neglected to mention or think about. Fundamentally there's no different balanced armature drivers on the market. As Bangraman said a while back, he speculated the parts all came from the same place anyway.

Yup, that other Head-Fier be me!

This knowledge came to me after an extensive interview and fitting for the 2X-S at Sensaphonic. I already own earmoulds, manufactured by Sensaphoic, for my Ety 4s, and have been so impressed by the comfort, fit, and isolation. I, after spending time with Michael, just had to take that extra step.

Apr 23, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 14
Its amazing how much difference in sound a tip/fitting can make. I just got in a set of Ety Tri-Flange tips and put them on the E5's and in a lot of ways addressed some of the things I was unhappy with, namely the very high frequencies are more prominent while keeping sibilance down. Nice. But I anticipate the Sensaphonics being even better sounding, and the fit/comfort/isolation to be outstanding (compared to the Ety-tipped E5's, the comfort is merely good, and the isolation merely decent.

Apr 23, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Its amazing how much difference in sound a tip/fitting can make. I just got in a set of Ety Tri-Flange tips and put them on the E5's and in a lot of ways addressed some of the things I was unhappy with, namely the very high frequencies are more prominent while keeping sibilance down. Nice. But I anticipate the Sensaphonics being even better sounding, and the fit/comfort/isolation to be outstanding (compared to the Ety-tipped E5's, the comfort is merely good, and the isolation merely decent.

Yup, the Ety tri-flange tips are now my favorite tips for my E5's. Less "murky" sounding compared to the stock E5 tri-flange sleeves, but less sibilance compared to the medium grey soft-flex sleeves that were my prior favorite E5 tip. You can also play around with the tip length of the Ety tips simply by not inserting them all the way on the E5 nozzle. This provided a better seal for me while still providing a very nice overall sound.

Apr 23, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 14
That's definitely one thing I don't miss about using universal fit canalphones.. I just don't have to worry about playing with the tips and optimizing them for sound anymore.

Apr 24, 2004 at 10:48 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmascatello
Count me in as a member of IEMs Anonymous.

ROTFL!!! You earn a major laugh point here! Yes, you definitely do!
rovatfl.gif

Apr 24, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #10 of 14
Wow, seems like there's an influx of people into $1000 canal phone. A year ago, ety is the highest you can get. I wonder if etymotic would come up with dual or triple driver canal phones that cost much less targetting consumers instead of muscians.

Apr 24, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 14
I would love to see Ety come out with a dual-driver ER-series IEM to compete with the E5. There is something to be said about their distinct and detailed sound. My largest complaint with the ER-4 was its tendency to get fatiguing during listening sessions over 90 minutes. One would hope that a dual-driver hi/lo model would enable a flatter frequency response and potentially a bit more bass. I would not want an E5-clone from Ety, but rather an advanced IEM that is a more refined cousin to the ER-4. It seems that the custom molded IEMs are marrying the best of Shure and Ety, how long will it be before we see one of these two universal-fit manufacturers try and span the two sounds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back