Sensaphonic T2XS first impressions
Jan 7, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #46 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcygn
Yes it does seem that at least several folks on this board are happy T2 users, but it's interesting that, including the post that started this thread, the person refered to their T2's in the header as "sensa's" rather than ACS's.

Again, that's great that folks are happy with their gear, i just can't think of a parallel where one company's brand is being conflated this way with another company's. Most people on this list are otherwise very careful about exactly what brand of gear they have. That seems a bit muddled when talking about ACS T2's. Folks seem happy because they have a sensa clone rather than happy because they have an ACS T2. The number of posts that talk about ACS's without mentioning sensa's seem few.

To you other point about where disengenuous:
I agree it seems a bit odd if there's such long time collaboration btwn the owners of Sensaphonics and ACS that a senior player at Sensaphonics would not acknowledge this, but perhaps that's the case: perhaps the love is all on ACS's side?? I'm not sure what is meant by "the owner of Sensaphonics knows what's going on" Have you spoken with him? OR is this what ACS told you?

Posting a review for another company's product, and replacing that product name with your own product's name: does that not seem a bit disengenuous? and then not identifying that you have done this - not saying "this is a product review for Brand X, but we make the same thing so if you like Brand X this is the same" : does that not seem a bit disengenuous? isn't that a kind of plaigarism even, especially when they do not give the source of the sited review? (here it is)
http://(http://www5.head-fi.org/foru...d.php?t=74812)and http://(http://www.hearingprotection...s-reviews.htm)

It also seems a bit odd that the best compliment most people have for ACS is to claim the T2's are effectively sensa's, or they "defy anyone to tell the difference." It all seems just odd. Why can't they be great/as good as/or better than the Prosonics or any other IEM - on their own merits? But it has seemed important to most on these forums to assert that heh, you can get the prosonics from ACS if you're in the UK - they're just called something else. That's certainly why i was interested in them rather than say Westone's Elites, also UK IEMs http://www.pjbox.co.uk/Westone-ES3.htm. Hence the query to ACS to clarify whether or not the comparison is deliberate on their part (the review adaption seems to assert this).

This is great to hear: differences between the products! These are the kinds of things that give one reason to think about one product vs another. The two year warranty also sounds like a plus over what seems to be Sensa's 90 days. Here's another one: the fitting is included in the price of the IEM's with ACS; it's not with Sensaphonics.

It's great that you and Simon have had super experiences with the company. As one of the other posters above says, however, it would be great to be able to say likewise about them, if they would reply to the emails sent. If they're not going to reply to customers or potential customers by email, don't post an email address!

That non-reply also creates the impression that they do not want to engage in a discussion in writing about the similarities/differences with the prosonic. Hence the earlier query does anyone have anything from ACS in writing about this? Or is it all verbal?

If ACS is following up from prosonic, why not be explicit about it rather than seemingly (i stress seemingly) plaigarize another product's review? or have all this back channel talk going on about the two products (phone this person and he'll tell you) rather than putting it out there, since this comparison is obviously a determining factor for many buyers? That should be something to be proud of: we started on the same footing but have made some inovations: here's a comparison chart between us and other leading IEM's. Does that seem unreasonable?

Probably most of us wouldn't care about this whole issue of same as or not same as, but that there are significant denaros at stake - especially when the cost of importing is about the same. I'd much rather work with a local business, too.

Which is also why it would be nice, on another note, if ACS posted a bit more about their product on their web site: like what accessories come with the IEM's, what the specific options on cables are, etc (the sensa's cable on their non-breakaway version looks better and is explicitly teflon, for instance, over the ACS T2i ).

best, and thanks for the info and engaging.
mc

You're being very inquisitive (that's a good point), but also a bit paranoid. You may not know that ACS has been undergoing some significant changes; the last one taking place approximately two months ago, maybe less. The changes have also affected the names of the specific products and total rebuilding of ACS's website (which is still under construction). That review was written by a member of this very site- Lindrone. How can you tell that the company did not get Lindrone's permission to publish his review on their new website. How can you know that Lindrone doesn't have ACS's products. It would be good to ask him personally, but he doesn't frequent these boards anymore.

ACS is not the "clone" of Sensaphonics; in fact one could say vice versa with Sensaphonics technicians being instructed by ACS on different matters. Both companies have been collaborating from times immemorial; if they still continue their collaboration like in the past I don't know.

I have a suggestion- why don't you go to ACS's H.Q., since you are in the U.K., and ask them yourself (or if you still persist get them write an official document for you with signatures and stuff).

As I said their website is still under construction and it is indeed not very detailed about the products. When you order T2PRO you get the same stuff (almost) as when you order 2-XS; that is: monitors, a waterproof "pelican" case, a smaller case to store your IEM's on-the-go (now you probably don't get the blue, plastic case with "Sensaphonics" written on it, but instead you get a nice, black, leather case with "ACS"), wax pick and instructions (shirt clip and some cream are optional I guess). The stuff you get also changes as more than two months ago the black case was not an option.
The option for T2PRO's cables are exactly the same as for Sensaphonics 2-XS (a teflon-braided cable or a break-away cable). T2i is a brand new alternative and the cable is longer, it's very soft, doesn't have "memory wires" and it gives you another option to wear the IEM's like T2PRO (over the ear) or just with the wire hanging down; I guess it's made of nylon and the default colour of the cable is white (it's a commercial version).

In conclusion: the IEM's I have from ACS are ultra-awesome whatever name they have. If you decide to get one of these you can count on great service and professionalism.

And BTW it is Prophonic, not "prosonic".

Jan 7, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #47 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by root

And BTW it is Prophonic, not "prosonic".

That is why I think you should chance your signature one more time, root.

Correct spell is ProPhonic as said, and not ProPhonics
icon10.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #48 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfB
That is why I think you should chance your signature one more time, root.

Correct spell is ProPhonic as said, and not ProPhonics
icon10.gif

Well, not really. In fact both ProPhonic and ProPhonics are correct; it depends on the way in which you treat IEM's/headphones, etc., that is as a single entity or a device composed of two monitors.

I think I will leave it unchanged for the time being. It would probably be even more appropriate to name them ACS T2PRO and ACS T2i (or ACS's T2PRO and ACS's T2i).

Jan 7, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #49 of 74
Quote:

It would probably be more correct to name them ACS T2PRO and ACS T2i (or ACS's T2PRO and ACS's T2i).

I'd second this. Though you must admit it took you quite a while to come to this conclusion.
eggosmile.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #50 of 74
Well, not really either.
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #51 of 74
I use Sensaphonics in my sig becauase ACS will mean nothing the the 85% of this forum who are in the US. I use the name so that people will understand what I have, that being the same thing as the Sensa.

Simon

Jan 7, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #52 of 74
Quote:

YI'm not sure what is meant by "the owner of Sensaphonics knows what's going on" Have you spoken with him? OR is this what ACS told you?

Bob Bieny had come back from a meeting in the US with Mike Santucci when I met him at his office in the Hearing Healthcare building.

Quote:

It also seems a bit odd that the best compliment most people have for ACS is to claim the T2's are effectively sensa's, or they "defy anyone to tell the difference."

The parts used and the manufacturing process are identical. The are EXACTLY the same IEM. ACS get the same parts as Sensa. We are not claiming they are effectively Sensas, they are absolutely in every way identical.

Quote:

Which is also why it would be nice, on another note, if ACS posted a bit more about their product on their web site: like what accessories come with the IEM's, what the specific options on cables are, etc (the sensa's cable on their non-breakaway version looks better and is explicitly teflon, for instance, over the ACS T2i ).

The ACS wesbite used to have images, technical details and the packaging options. I believe they are re-developing the site. Here are the details that I have:

The T2XS combines a micro transducer for powerful bass response integrated with a second micro transducer for clear mid and high frequency reproduction. The dual speakers are constructed in a super soft silicone material instead of plastics providing increased comfort, isolation, bass response and transducer durability. Silicone material and durable Teflon coated wire that is permanently fixed to the monitor also increase durability.

The T2XS requires less sound output because the silicone material isolates 26dB from ambient sound.

The T2XS is highly recommended for musicians who want the ultimate in dual speaker sound quality, safety, comfort and cosmetics in a soft material.

Type: Custom-molded with soft silicone full shell
Drivers: Knowles ED-9689 / BK-1957
Frequency Response: 20-16,000 Hz
Impedance: 27 ohms nominal
Sensitivity: 109dB for 1 mW
Weight: 1 ounce
Cord Length: Standard 50" (permanent cord, custom lengths available)
Supplied Accessories: Hard case, shirt clip, cleaning tool, 1/8" to 1/4" adaptor, pocket storage pouch.

And this is from the Sensa site:

Type: Custom-molded with soft silicone full shell
Frequency Response: 20-16,000 Hz
Impedance: 27 ohms nominal
Sensitivity: 109dB for 1 mW
Weight: 1 ounce
Cord Types:
1. Continuous Teflon: Standard 48"
2. Teflon with Break Away Cord: Standard 50" (custom lengths available)
Supplied Accessories: Hard case, shirt clip, cleaning tool, 1/8" to 1/4"
adaptor, pocket storage pouch

I am pretty sure Sensa would have sued ACS for copying their web test verbatim (or near enough) if nothing else.

Simon

Jan 7, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #53 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by sclamb
I use Sensaphonics in my sig becauase ACS will mean nothing the the 85% of this forum who are in the US. I use the name so that people will understand what I have, that being the same thing as the Sensa.

Simon

Time to change that, don't you think so? If I'd drive an Opel and post on a British car related forum I'd by no means quote to drive a Vauxhall there.

Jan 8, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #54 of 74
What an interesting discussion. I will throw in some additional info just to keep everything ticking along. My position on this is that ACS are fantastic, have answered every email I've sent them and that each of the three custom fitted items I've purchased from them have fitted/performed perfectly without any refits.

Background on this discussion, just to taint Sensaphonics whiter-than-white attitude to their products and how what they sell is absolutely unique and original etc. Sensa have a history of taking other company's products and making them their own, as part of their complete customer service strategy. I will offer two examples of this :)

If you take a look at http://www.sensaphonics.com/iv.html you will see the details of the 'old' prophonic IV, which is apparently, if you believe the marketing spin, unique and the first of it's kind etc etc, but was actually the Etymotic ER4 driver repackaged with a detachable wire and fitted into a custom earmold.

The product concept was developed in conjunction with Etymotic, the two companies already having a commercial relationship via the ER15 custom hearing protection which forms part of Sensaphonics service offered to musicians. The ER15 product is a combination of a patented Etymotic filter fitted to a soft silicone earmold developed in europe by Elcea labs.

The Sensa website talks about them manufacturing the 'Sensaphonics ER-9/15/25™', but they did not develop them, they simply formed a commercial partnership with Elcea to manufacture and rebrand the existing Elacin Ear protection product (the industry standard for musician's earplugs) in order to support Sensaphonics marketing strategy.

ACS are the UK office of Elcea Labs and their client list of famous musicians is reasonable given that most musicians will have the ERxx Musicians Earplugs which are distributed worldwide using Elcea's Elacin brandname.

Now, Sensaphonics started using the soft silicone for their IEM in 2000 and ACS/Elcea have a published a published review of soft silicone IEMs using Knowles drivers from 1999 and additionally a headfi search reveals that the Elcin soft IEMS were comfortable for Winty in 1998.

I believe that Sensaphonics were asked by their clients to provide a softer, more comfortable IEM, and knowing that ACS/Elcea had expertise with soft IEMS, they went to them and Elcea developed the dual driver soft silicone IEM and trained them to produce it. Sensaphonics then licensed it in the same way that they had done for the ER-9/15/25.

As to why Doris would deny a connection to ACS, well maybe she only knows them as Elcea UK or as Advanced Communication Solutions Ltd. Other explanations are Weird Company Policy, Greed, Confusion or a pedantic insistance that if they are manufactured by Sensaphonics then they are Sensaphonic Prophonic X2S because they can then guarantee the production methods and quality, but they can't be sure of the ACS version because ACS may have changed their production methods since the original deal with Sensaphonics.

Now can we get back to talking about how good they sound?

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:37 AM Post #55 of 74
Thanks for the good info.

It would be nice, if UK 'sensa' owners would have a get-together to discuss the sounds of various 'sensas' and analyze the innards visually (the silicone is transparent?)

Maybe after that we'd have some idea as to what models & drivers are out there and how different they sound from each other.

Jan 8, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #56 of 74
Quote:

You're being very inquisitive (that's a good point), but also a bit paranoid. You may not know that ACS has been undergoing some significant changes;

Surely that's easy enough to post on a company website? "more info coming?"

Quote:

How can you tell that the company did not get Lindrone's permission to publish his review on their new website. How can you know that Lindrone doesn't have ACS's products. It would be good to ask him personally, but he doesn't frequent these boards anymore.

I don't know that lindrone didn't give his consent; i don't know that he did. That's the point. The ambiguity leads to the kind of questions i've raised - questions normal for people who don't have your background knowledge. Standard practice is to acknowledge adaptation. Most corporate websites when they post reviews give the source of the reviews to support credibility. Maybe ACS should fire their webster for poor product (mis)representation.

Quote:

I have a suggestion- why don't you go to ACS's H.Q., since you are in the U.K., and ask them yourself (or if you still persist get them write an official document for you with signatures and stuff).

Is that really the job of the customer/client?

Quote:

When you order T2PRO you get the same stuff (almost) as when you order 2-XS; that is: monitors, a waterproof "pelican" case, a smaller case to store your IEM's on-the-go (now you probably don't get the blue, plastic case with "Sensaphonics" written on it, but instead you get a nice, black, leather case with "ACS"), wax pick and instructions (shirt clip and some cream are optional I guess). The stuff you get also changes as more than two months ago the black case was not an option.
The option for T2PRO's cables are exactly the same as for Sensaphonics 2-XS (a teflon-braided cable or a break-away cable). T2i is a brand new alternative and the cable is longer, it's very soft, doesn't have "memory wires" and it gives you another option to wear the IEM's like T2PRO (over the ear) or just with the wire hanging down; I guess it's made of nylon and the default colour of the cable is white (it's a commercial version).

Thank you, that's really helpful. The above is why boards like this are so useful: to get the real story on the product - does it meet advertized expectations - and also to comment on the reliability of support and customer satisfaction. Thank you for your time.

Jan 8, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #57 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
Thanks for the good info.

It would be nice, if UK 'sensa' owners would have a get-together to discuss the sounds of various 'sensas' and analyze the innards visually (the silicone is transparent?)

Maybe after that we'd have some idea as to what models & drivers are out there and how different they sound from each other.

The innards but would be fine, but a sound comparison would be very subjective since we cannot obviously listen to each others IEMs. I think we would all say they sound stunningly good.

Simon

Jan 8, 2006 at 11:02 AM Post #58 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfB
Time to change that, don't you think so? If I'd drive an Opel and post on a British car related forum I'd by no means quote to drive a Vauxhall there.

I have now changed my Signature to ACS T2XS. I am a proud and happy owner of the T2XS and I am pleased that I dealt with ACS and not Sensaphonics, a) because I am in Europe and b) because ACS were a pleasure to deal with.

Simon

Jan 8, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #59 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRich
What an interesting discussion. I will throw in some additional info just to keep everything ticking along. My position on this is that ACS are fantastic, have answered every email I've sent them and that each of the three custom fitted items I've purchased from them have fitted/performed perfectly without any refits.

Background on this discussion, just to taint Sensaphonics whiter-than-white attitude to their products and how what they sell is absolutely unique and original etc. Sensa have a history of taking other company's products and making them their own, as part of their complete customer service strategy. I will offer two examples of this :)

If you take a look at http://www.sensaphonics.com/iv.html you will see the details of the 'old' prophonic IV, which is apparently, if you believe the marketing spin, unique and the first of it's kind etc etc, but was actually the Etymotic ER4 driver repackaged with a detachable wire and fitted into a custom earmold.

The product concept was developed in conjunction with Etymotic, the two companies already having a commercial relationship via the ER15 custom hearing protection which forms part of Sensaphonics service offered to musicians. The ER15 product is a combination of a patented Etymotic filter fitted to a soft silicone earmold developed in europe by Elcea labs.

The Sensa website talks about them manufacturing the 'Sensaphonics ER-9/15/25™', but they did not develop them, they simply formed a commercial partnership with Elcea to manufacture and rebrand the existing Elacin Ear protection product (the industry standard for musician's earplugs) in order to support Sensaphonics marketing strategy.

ACS are the UK office of Elcea Labs and their client list of famous musicians is reasonable given that most musicians will have the ERxx Musicians Earplugs which are distributed worldwide using Elcea's Elacin brandname.

Now, Sensaphonics started using the soft silicone for their IEM in 2000 and ACS/Elcea have a published a published review of soft silicone IEMs using Knowles drivers from 1999 and additionally a headfi search reveals that the Elcin soft IEMS were comfortable for Winty in 1998.

I believe that Sensaphonics were asked by their clients to provide a softer, more comfortable IEM, and knowing that ACS/Elcea had expertise with soft IEMS, they went to them and Elcea developed the dual driver soft silicone IEM and trained them to produce it. Sensaphonics then licensed it in the same way that they had done for the ER-9/15/25.

As to why Doris would deny a connection to ACS, well maybe she only knows them as Elcea UK or as Advanced Communication Solutions Ltd. Other explanations are Weird Company Policy, Greed, Confusion or a pedantic insistance that if they are manufactured by Sensaphonics then they are Sensaphonic Prophonic X2S because they can then guarantee the production methods and quality, but they can't be sure of the ACS version because ACS may have changed their production methods since the original deal with Sensaphonics.

Now can we get back to talking about how good they sound?

Thanks for this super background info. That helps put a lot into perspective - like who's licensing from whom. Very much appreciated (how on earth did you collect all this material?).

I concur: let's get back to talking about how good they sound - and what sets them apart from other IEM's

Am i correct that the 2 year warranty is one and that the filters are the other?

Thanks again, all. Hope ACS appreciates the custom of such effective advocates

best
mc

Jan 8, 2006 at 11:47 AM Post #60 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by sclamb
I have now changed my Signature to ACS T2XS. I am a proud and happy owner of the T2XS and I am pleased that I dealt with ACS and not Sensaphonics, a) because I am in Europe and b) because ACS were a pleasure to deal with.

Let's make the proper name famous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back