Sensaphic 2x-s vs. e500
Sep 29, 2006 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

wsilvio

500+ Head-Fier
So I was planning on getting custom sleeves for my e500's, but my audiologist mentioneted the sensaphonics 2x-s. Are they better than the e500's. Maybe better isn't the right word. I know some people say they sound similar to er4p/s. I also own a pair of er4s and like those as well, but they need more bass and decay. I listen through a hornet amp conneted to a 4g ipod with a cryo LOD. I will have my imod ipod in a couple of weeks. I'm very serious about music as I'm a musician myself. I spend a lot of time in planes and trains, and am trying to (within reason) put together the best portable rig I can. I listen to lossless and high bit rate aac formats. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

will

Sep 29, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 32
if u get sensas, be prepared to throw dump it every 2 years. but my guess is that its gonna sound better than the e500

Sep 29, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 32
2X-S sound nothing like Ety ER4's. I find it odd anyone would say that.

ER4's are on the faster, thinner and treble tipped side of things. Sensas aren't particularly fast, are thicker/warmer and bass emphasized.

As between E500 and 2X-S, I like the E500 plenty, but I don't find it to resolve as much inner detail (it does resolve edges better) as well as the Sensas. There's also a smoothness in addition to that detail that the E500 can't quite match. I find the 2X-S to be more laid back in the treble. The E500 is more upfront.

As for replacing them every two years... heh, seems to be true over here with mine as well. Mine have needed to be replaced a few times now. Dunno if a few of us have just gotten unlucky, but it is what it is.

(waits for the usual Sensaphonics defenders to arrive...)

Best,

-Jason

Sep 29, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig
if u get sensas, be prepared to throw dump it every 2 years. but my guess is that its gonna sound better than the e500

Not true. I've had mine over two years. However it's true that Sensa has made their policies such that it discourages end consumers to buy. As for being bass emphasised, I don't find that to be true. They are right down the line. It's just that the etys don't stand up so well when compared. The sensas have a fuller sound, tonal repoduction (instruments sound like themselves) is way more accurate, decay is about 1000x more realistic, and the imaging is just awesome.

The etys compared are one-dimensional, the notes fall off unnaturally, as for instance, notes in music don't happen independently of each other, but they happen like that according to the etys, and there is no real extension of the dynamic range. It's all compressed as - this note is treble, this note is mid, this note is kinda sorta bass. There's no depth in the reproduction of how that actually occurrs in reality.

The sensas aren't the only ones. There's the ACS 2t-i, which is an updated Sensaphonic, there's the ES2 or 3, there's the UE10. Certainly one of those will do you better than a universal fit if you're game.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2006 at 10:26 AM Post #8 of 32
Shure E500: Good Soundstage, Analytical, excellent high, can be a bit harsh, sensitive, deep bass not as tight, not as good isolation. If you like the sound quality of foamies, E500 could be more comfortable, but still acoustic isolation is not as good as Sensaphonics. IMO.

Sensaphonics: Very Smooth, musical, warm, very deep and tight bass, high is not as much as Shure E500, excellent acoustic isolation, Amazing Comfort. If you have a great fit, it will be very comfortable.

Oct 1, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 32
I have to scratch my head when I hear Sensas called dark. If by dark you mean not bright, then yeah I'll buy that, but I've heard brighter in an IEM, such as the etys.

But I've not heard the E500, and they're not anywhere near my list of IEMs to get, what with the sound leakage feature, so I'm just discussing here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #10 of 32
Ah, right on time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Not true. I've had mine over two years. However it's true that Sensa has made their policies such that it discourages end consumers to buy. As for being bass emphasised, I don't find that to be true. They are right down the line.

Interesting. I remember hearing (so it is hearsay) that Mike Santucci voiced the Sensas with a nice little bass boost, since that's what the consumers seem to like. Regardless, the Sensaphonics are certainly not "right down the line" relative to all the other headphones (iem or otherwise) I've owned. They fall clearly in the HD600 (though with a bit more treble) side of things.

Anyway, re E500 and Sensaphonics, just to be clear, I do find the Sensaphonics to be more rewarding because I find the E500 to gloss over inner texture at the expense of defined edges. I think the E500 are quite good, but I don't think they're in the same class as the Sensas.

As for any sound leakage feature, I have no idea what that refers to. Unless its the PTH device. Though it is true the soft-flex sleeves are not as isolating as say custom molds or foamies.

Best,

-Jason

Oct 3, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Ah, right on time.

Interesting. I remember hearing (so it is hearsay) that Mike Santucci voiced the Sensas with a nice little bass boost, since that's what the consumers seem to like. Regardless, the Sensaphonics are certainly not "right down the line" relative to all the other headphones (iem or otherwise) I've owned. They fall clearly in the HD600 (though with a bit more treble) side of things.

Anyway, re E500 and Sensaphonics, just to be clear, I do find the Sensaphonics to be more rewarding because I find the E500 to gloss over inner texture at the expense of defined edges. I think the E500 are quite good, but I don't think they're in the same class as the Sensas.

As for any sound leakage feature, I have no idea what that refers to. Unless its the PTH device. Though it is true the soft-flex sleeves are not as isolating as say custom molds or foamies.

Best,

-Jason

How would you compare the e500s to the Sensas in terms of fit/comfort?

Oct 3, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #12 of 32
Well sorry I don't agree with you. Sound doesn't happen like that in real life, which is more what the sensas are about trying to reproduce. It's the core of what these kind of iems are about doing. If they weren't accurate about live performance, they'd be useless for their intended purpose.

If you search about the E500s, there were some angry/confused/curious headfiers since their E500's seemed to leak sound. I don't know why, or if it's a feature or a defect that effects some or all E500's. I wasn't around for the conclusion of that one, but it's around here somewhere.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Ah, right on time.

Best,

-Jason

Oct 4, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #13 of 32
So I went ahead and got some sleeves for the e500's. I should have them in a couple of weeks. I'll let you guys know how they work out. While at the audiologist, I convinced my wife to get molds for custom sleeves for a pair of er-4's that I gave her.
280smile.gif

Oct 13, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #14 of 32
I'm not actually interested in the Sensas, but the ACS T2Pro (very similar). Are the highs rolled off at all with the Sensas? I feel that the E500 have slightly rolled off highs. Will the Sensas be more resolving (ie reproduces nuances in the sound better, such as the coarse bow-rosin-on-violin-string sound)? Are there any Classical music lovers that use Sensas? I'd imagine detail is extremely important with classical music. No one wants an IEM to produce fake, smooth sound when in real life, it's supposed to sound more rough on the edges.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 13, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #15 of 32
It depends on who you ask, if you ask me, and a couple of friends of mine who have sensas but don't post here...you know who you are if you're reading this
wink.gif
... the Sensas aren't rolled off. They're just on the money and that's that. However, ask some others, and they'll shout to the hills that they are the very definition of rolled off. I say I'm right, they say they're right. What can ya do?

I'll throw in my vote for not rolled off. The ACS has apparently better tuned drivers, so that should be a different beast. I'd hazard a guess that the highs won't be something to worry about, but it's just a guess.

Can I ask why you're going for the pro when the 2i has the thinner more portable cable and apparently the same drivers as the pro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back