Sensa regret?
Jul 20, 2005 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bender13

Head-Fier
Just placed an order for the Sensa's after trolling this board for many months. Should I have gone with the UE-10's? After using E-5's for the last year, I figured I should upgrade and went with the Sensa's. I decided to buy the Sensa's because they supposedly have a more organic sound, which I like. I think the Ety's 4's are just too analytical. But I'm kind of fearing that I'm going to miss the third driver. Am I being silly? I really hope so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 20, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bender13
Just placed an order for the Sensa's after trolling this board for many months. Should I have gone with the UE-10's? After using E-5's for the last year, I figured I should upgrade and went with the Sensa's. I decided to buy the Sensa's because they supposedly have a more organic sound, which I like. I think the Ety's 4's are just too analytical. But I'm kind of fearing that I'm going to miss the third driver. Am I being silly? I really hope so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have both the sensa and the ue10. I took me 6 months to finally decide but I've chosen the sensa. They have some slight highend rolloff but I use treble boost to fix that. Even though the ue10 have two bass drivers, I don't think it has the same impact and texture that the sensas have. The sensa have more of a Grado bass, quick and impactful while the ue10 have a hd650, a little deeper but not as exciting.

The sensas do sound more natural and organic than the ue10. The ue10 has great detail but it just doesn't have enough warm and subtance to them. They don't flow as well. They are much drier.

I bought the sensa first and then the ue10 because I was unhappy with the sensas because I purchased the Grado RS-1 and thought the ue10 would be a better choice. After listening to both on my home system the other day, the sensas (w/treble boost) sounds pretty close to the RS-1. Actually closer than I thought the would. They were just missing a little bit of the airy sound and the extra sparkle. But the overall sound was very close. Same warmth and same bass impact.

I think you'll be very happy with them. They also work better straight out of a portable than the ue10. I use my with a SR-71 which gives them more bass impact, better soundstage, and an even more natural sound but is definally not needed.

Jul 20, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 15
wow, i have not been here in a while...

i am happy to hear you finally settled on the sensas iamdone.

i went to a headfi meet a few weeks ago and i got a chance to hear someone's ue-10 and directly compared them to my sensas. (i also got to hear 2 orpheuses and 3 r-10's.)

basically, the ue-10 sound good, but definitely are dry and boring in a direct comparison the sensas.

the sensas never seize to amaze me when i listen to them, and i am convinced they are the best possible sound you can have on the go...and they are certainly the most comfortable. the ue material is much less comfortable against the ear in comparison.

do i think you should be regretting your sensa purchase. no, i don't think so.

Jul 20, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster22
i am happy to hear you finally settled on the sensas iamdone.

Yeah it took me a awhile. The main problem was I was just listening to the detail, the highs, or just parts of the music and not comparing the music as a whole. I put on some albums the I knew quite well and just listen to how the whole thing sounded. Something about the ue10 didn't sound right.

The main problem I always had with the sensas was there slight highend rolloff and refused to use the ipod eq. After testing the sensa eq'd with treble boost compared to the ue10 flat, the sensas were the clear winner. So far I haven't heard any distortion and the amp gives them the perfect balance. Without the amp, I could see someone thinking the treble boost might be a bit much. I'd probably still use the boost even without the amp. I think I just prefer a bright sound.

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:55 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

... i am convinced they are the best possible sound you can have on the go.

Nope. That would be the PS-1.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:30 AM Post #6 of 15
After a good night's sleep and after reading the posts from last night, I must say that I'm feeling a lot better about going with the Sensa's. If they can match 650's and even be mentioned with the RS-1's, I can't have made that much of a mistake. In addition to which, anything that sounds "analytical" or "sterile" is something from which I would like to stay. Now the waiting... I only hope that my DT-880's out of the SR-71 can appease me until then.

Thanks again for all the posts, it's like a support group here.

Jul 20, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 15
Since you already have the SR-71, you be amazed at the pairing.

Give yourself about a week to figure out how to put them in correctly. The grippy material makes it a little hard to twist in sometimes.

Jul 20, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 15
I have to add that I think that in reading side by side comparison's of the two they are very alike. I find that I use the bass boost on my Ue-10s with SMv3, and enjoy the sound. Although I think adding to the bass is coloring the sound, I enjoy it. When I am at the office or at home I perfer the not to use the bass boost.

Anyways both are truly great headphones and better then all other canals beside UM3s. So I think you will be happy with your purchase.

iamdone, I am quietly waiting your return. This is the longest you have left the house, I am starting to get worried. lol..

Jul 20, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #9 of 15
sensas... sans régret
tongue.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
evil_smiley.gif

Do you actually wear these in public? I can sort of see using Grados at work but not walking, or on a bus or plane. I would love to use the RS-1 on the go but it would look odd, have no isolation, and my work might question whether I'm working or just listening to music all day. Plus you'd have to worry about weather damage.

Jul 20, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #11 of 15
eh, to be honest, i have been using the treble boost on my ipod with the sensas for a while now...i can't go back to listening without it.

i've definitely said i don't believe in eq'ing in the past, but the more you learn the more open you become and the more you realize what you actually want to hear in your music. it just took me some time to realize. i have yet to find another headphone or speaker that really equals the sensa-ipod sound. almost all other music i hear anywhere else...i'm just thinking..."man! i wish i could be listening to this on the sensas!"

Jul 20, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
evil_smiley.gif

you're silly.
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
Do you actually wear these in public?

Usually I don’t wear headphones while walking. In the train, yes. But only bec. I use the train at times where not much other people are around. If it is crowded, I don’t use open phones. Don’t want to disturb the others.

Quote:

you're silly.
biggrin.gif

Can't deny that.
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #15 of 15
Just came back from the audiologist and must say that getting the impressions was pretty crazy. Keeping your mouth open and not hearing anything is an odd feeling. Not bad, but not something I really want to do again.

Now the waiting begins... I can't wait to put them in for the first time and hear music entirely differently. Am I crazy to think that there is going to be a monumental difference from my E-5's? Guessl I'll have to wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back