Sensa or custom UM2s?
Jul 19, 2005 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

spencexxx

100+ Head-Fier
I think I have read almost every post on this site...although I don't write too much.
Its really interesting to narrow everything down and read opions...and to complain about sucky Bose and Sonys. I am in need of a new pair of IEMs...well, I guess my first pair, since I now have sonys...and they don't count.
I think I have read everything on headfi and the rest of the web and am torn between the Westone UM2s and the Sensa softs. Being in Germany, I don't have a chance to go to Meets or try things out...
I guess I would like to know if anyone has compared the custom molded UM2s with the Sensas. Something tells me the the extra $500 or so
might not give you that much of a difference, but I would like to hear from people who might have both.
I can't "afford" either, but that doesn't mean I won't spend the money!
Thanks lots!

Jul 20, 2005 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 11
Sensa outperforms UM2 by a wide margin (Clarity, soundstage, Bass Impact, and detail). However, you mentioned it is your first pair canalphone. Therefore, you might want to try UM2 first, and then upgrade to sensa in the future. Some people just do not like things sticking in the ears. However, if you want the best, there is no question to not go for sensa.

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:20 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
Sensa outperforms UM2 by a wide margin (Clarity, soundstage, Bass Impact, and detail). However, you mentioned it is your first pair canalphone. Therefore, you might want to try UM2 first, and then upgrade to sensa in the future. Some people just do not like things sticking in the ears. However, if you want the best, there is no question to not go for sensa.

do you have um2 and sensas ?
[size=xx-small]none of them appearing in your signature [/size]

Jul 20, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 11
Since it doesn't seem like money is the issue, a more appropriate question would be Sensas or ES2's. I've got to imagine the ES2's are to the UM2's what the UE5c's are to the UE Super.fi Pro's.

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 11
Well I think we can reach agreement there is a big difference from the Westones to elite level of canal headphones.

I think you would have to research which type you would want to have. Ue-10s, Sens, or West's. There is more then enough about each if you do a search.

Jul 20, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 11
While I have not owned the UM2, I have owned the E2c, E1c, and for over a year the UM2 sibling E5c (also auditioned the Ety 4p for a week) the Sensa's stomp on all of them. I see no glaring flaws in the presentation of sound of the Sensa while with each of the other IEMs there was something defiantly wrong with the sound imo. I always liked the E5c's attack and they were somewhat fun phones but they had muddy bass (compared to upper level headphones) and repressed highs (compared to upper level headphones). The etys on the other hand were very thin and did not sound too good out of a portable but did work pretty well out of my home system at the time (EMU 1212 to PPA amp).

Just know that if you do order the Sensa it is not really instant gratification like buying a non custom IEM. It take about a month from when you send in your custom molds into the lab for them to be created and another month if you need a remold of either of you ears. I ordered mine in late December and did not get them back until early February and I needed a redo on the right side and it took 3 more weeks. When you buy a normal IEM, you get them a week later and just plug it in. In my opinion if you do not mind the wait the product you get it far better the generic IEMs on the market today.

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for the opinions...I have searched and read a lot, and the Sensas seemed to be the better rated phones of the premium brands. I'd say 90% of the reviews of the UM2s are positive...and moreso with the custom molds on them. I live in Germany so it is a littlle annoying to deal with the molding situation due to overseas shipping, but not out of the question. There are also not a lot of dealers and chances to try out even the most basic phones such as Shure (lack of Best Buy and Target, you know) I have pretty much decided that I should start with The UM2s, but wanted to know about percieved or real differences...diminishing returns and all!

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by spencexxx
Thanks for the opinions...I have searched and read a lot, and the Sensas seemed to be the better rated phones of the premium brands. I'd say 90% of the reviews of the UM2s are positive...and moreso with the custom molds on them. I live in Germany so it is a littlle annoying to deal with the molding situation due to overseas shipping, but not out of the question. There are also not a lot of dealers and chances to try out even the most basic phones such as Shure (lack of Best Buy and Target, you know) I have pretty much decided that I should start with The UM2s, but wanted to know about percieved or real differences...diminishing returns and all!

I think thats a good decision, The UM2's are pretty impressive and any upgrades in that price range are usually significant

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 11
RIght now I have the UM2's with the custom molds. I really like them and have no outright complaints (like I did with all the IEM's listed in my sig block).

I'm very tempted to go 'all the way' and get a pair of Sensa's myself. Or the ES2's (I've decided against the UM-10's). My question is how much of an improvement can I expect?

At some point, the MP3 files has got to become the weak link. If I never go to a lossless compression, will I notice a difference to justtify the price? Perhaps upgrading from my Zen Micro would be a better idea?

Questions.......questions....questions
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by king896
Just know that if you do order the Sensa it is not really instant gratification like buying a non custom IEM. It take about a month from when you send in your custom molds into the lab for them to be created and another month if you need a remold of either of you ears. I ordered mine in late December and did not get them back until early February and I needed a redo on the right side and it took 3 more weeks.

Let me say this about the Westone UM2s. I got my ear impressions done in San Diego on a Friday. I received my custom molds the following Friday from Westone in Colorado. That's 1 week including shipping both ways!

I know that isn't going to help much for Europe, but it should not take a few months, maybe a few weeks if you went with Westone.

BTW I love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back