Senns and solid state
May 14, 2006 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jbucla2005

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm using my new 580s with a MINT amp and WOW, its as good as using with tube amps, perhaps better. I love how the neutral, accurate, analalytical sound of the amp matches with the warm, relaxed sound of the Senns. I feel like I am really hearing what was intended to be heard and it is listenable and musical too! I would say it does sound flat and not as 3D but still the synergy is awesome. My DT-880s sound bright and compressed with this same amp. I love my new 580s!

May 14, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
Yeah, I'm a solid state man too

Not a big fan of tubes

the only thing im noticing is a little fatigue after a while.

May 14, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #4 of 9
i use my 580's with ss. nice combo, and i get no fatigue. enjoy,
jim

~

May 14, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jim580
i use my 580's with ss. nice combo, and i get no fatigue. enjoy,
jim

~

I have tried the 580's now with my 3 amps capable of driving headphones. One tube integrated amp, one tube headphone amp, and one solid state amp. The SS amp in this case is a MINT (AD8620.) With the 580's I keep coming back to this amp. Together the sound is very balanced and warm and full of the kind of listenability that I usually associate with tubes. The presentation, however, is a bit more two dimensional and analytical but the enjoyment level is extremely high for me because the Senns make the sound lush like tubes usually are. I am very happy.

May 14, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I think the consensus is that the Senn 580/600/650 series are better matched with SS amps. I thought the 600 was excellent with my PIMETA (AD8620).

Honestly I don't really agree with that. I have a tube amp and I think the pairing is excellent and I think you'll find plenty of tube amp owners who would echo my comments, about tube amps and the 580/6X0 series cans. Hence I would call that consensus at all.

May 14, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
Honestly I don't really agree with that. I have a tube amp and I think the pairing is excellent and I think you'll find plenty of tube amp owners who would echo my comments, about tube amps and the 580/6X0 series cans. Hence I would call that consensus at all.

We should have a poll
wink.gif

EDIT: Just posted it
tongue.gif

May 14, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 9
I can listen to my Senns on my GS-1 all day with no fatigue at volume. I need to try a tube amp with them though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back