Senns and Metal
Jul 7, 2007 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ace o' Spades

500+ Head-Fier
Just out of curiosity, how many of you use Sennheisers for meal, hard rock, or punk?

I do, I love my HD580s for metal, especially older recordings like "Ride the Lightning" and "We Sold Our Souls For Rock and Roll", but they especially shine with Guns n' Roses IMO. Also pretty good for punk, but my Grados are better for that.

So, who else?

580smile.gif
600smile.gif
280smile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 8
My computer soundcard has a slightly bright signature, or at least brighter than my main amp, so for those CDs that are too mild with my HD600 through my normal amp; or almost too bright with my MS2i, then the soundcard with the HD600 does the trick!

Choice is good!

Jul 7, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 8
I also had the HD580s, and didn't like them for metal or rock music. To me, there was no excitement in their sound when listening to those genres. Liked them very much with electronic music, though
580smile.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 8
I think my hd595s sound absolutely excellent with metal; Therion's Gothic Kabbalah album sounds brilliant in comparison to how it did on the hd212s I had before. The deep, smooth bass combined with the general presence of everything else works beautifully.

I did mess with my amp a bit to get them to sound so great, though. Pushing up the lowest and highest EQ bars (of 8) up one notch and then putting BBE onto 2/3 power. Without some amp tweakage metal did admittedly lack punch and life.

Edit: Oh, my spelling.
frown.gif

Jul 8, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 8
From what I've seen here, Senns are good for metal until you've heard metal through a Grado. Maybe one day I'll have the pleasure.

Until then, rock and metal sound just brilliant through my current home setup, which includes the HD595.

Jul 8, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 8
I do not use my headphones based on genre but on mood. When Im working at the office or busy with something, Sr 325i's. When Im trying to relax, I reach for the HD 600s.

Jul 8, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #8 of 8
When I'm trying to think of something, I stop listening to metal altogether.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back