Senni HD 520 II
Sep 23, 2004 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dbecks

New Head-Fier
So I was given these by a member of family, Anyone know the history and what they are known for either way? Especially if they are any good, one thing I have noticed is directly in my iPod it requires full volume to hear well even in the quiet of my apartment.

Sep 23, 2004 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 8
The brand (Sennheiser) is very popular, but I guess it's some old model which is why there might not be a lot of information available. iPod probably hasn't got enough juice to drive such phones although it might be because of the volume cap on euro ipods if you have one.

Sep 23, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 8
Yah, Im sure its an early model I have not been able to stumble upon any information regarding what its comparible to if anything now, just trying to figure things out. I guessed it was underamped so the quest to find new phones/amp continues

Sep 23, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 8
I have HD530-II so it's pretty relevant. Well... they are not my cup of tea, but as I only have these and Beyer DT880 I uae them sometimes. They have decent bass, comparable to the beyers, but someow bloated (esp. midbass). The lower bass is weaker than beyers but the mid and high (?) bass is more present. The highs are not comparable to the beyers and also the soundstage and the feeling of space and the transient responce. But I thind they are for Sennheiser fans with the muffled highs and strong bass. There is also some review about HD540-Gold - http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...hlight=pageant

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #8 of 8
The HD520-ii has been my favorite headphone for the last two decades. It is a little light in the bass region, but otherwise heavenly. I recently auditioned headphones from Hifiman, Audeze, Oppo, and others, and compared them to the HD520ii as a reference. IMO, the only thing some of those $400-1000 cans had over the Senn was fuller bass. (I ended up buying an HD600)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back