Sennheser HD497's
Aug 15, 2004 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jman999

Head-Fier
I bought the HD497's from Radio Shack a couple days figuring I could return them if I didn't like them. I have them configured the following way:

Chaintech AV-710 flashed to Prodigy--> Onkyo HT-R410 via optical out --> HD497's.

As my first set of headphones I find that it has very good sound quality at least compared to the speakers I was using, but I find that it is a bit lacking in terms of comfort.

They get very warm on my ears after a short while, which I find to be uncomfortable. Unless I have them just right, they creak whenever I move.

Would the HD-580's or 590s be more comfortable?
I'm also considering the Alessandro MS-1's.

All headphone suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Also, will my HTR Receiver be able to drive them properly or do they a need a HP amp?

My budget max. is around $130.

Thanks for your help, Jonathan.

Aug 15, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 5
Hi.
I started off almost the same as you did.
I've had JVC's HA-G55 for use at work and though they may not sound the best, they are rather decent, esp. with an amp.

Anyhow, then I picked up 497 like you did and I was amazed at the detail of the sounds! But like you noticed, they do get warm and irritating around the ears. So I ended up with 535 and boy, are they comfy ... and even better balanced in sound!
eggosmile.gif
I think any of the 5xx or 6xx series would be comfy as they are rather big. Quality is where they differ of course...

Aug 15, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 5
I too started with the 497's. They seem super comfy at first, but it's all downhill from there. Not terrible, but they do get warm after long periods. I recommend the 555's. A nice step up in sound from the 497's and they are AMAZINGLY comfy!

Aug 15, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 5
I didn't find the hd497's uncomfortable compared to the phones I owned before them, but hd580's with the headband adjusted to you head are much more comfortable.

Aug 15, 2004 at 8:58 AM Post #5 of 5
Have never tried the hd497s but do own the ms-1s. Some days I can wear them about 2 hours and hardly know they are on my head but other times I have to keep readjusting them to get a comfortable fit.I use the senn pads as the comfies madd my ears itch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back