Sennheisser IEM3 = Future Sonics Ears EM3?
Feb 25, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #17 of 25
I have a pair of FSI ears (i.e. EM3) and have been using for about 2 months now. I got them to use them with zen xtra and have tried them with several different source including amps and semi highend stereo eqipment (nothing above $3000). Anyway, they do not benefit from amplifiers much even though they seem like they should. Pretty easy to drive but then again zen xtra is capable of driving my alessandro m1s without an amp perfectly fine and I never use it above 16-17 (out of 35 I think). Anyway the EM3s can go up to 20 without really hurting my ears but they do get pretty loud. You do have to burn them in before they start giving you all they have. Burn in took about 20-30 hours of use and it was almost constant use. As far as the foam tips are concerned I don't mind them much. They have great isolation and also after about 10-20 hours take the form of your ear canals more or less. As far as the Senns go I am pretty sure they are the same thing because Senn pays FSI to use their headphones. They are not even rebranded. Oh yeah and the specs listed above a not the correct ones for FSI and unless Senn cheaped out on the wiring (which I highly doubt) they are wrong for Senn too. These are form the sheet that came with my EM3s.

Transduce: FSI
Sensitivity: 118 dB
Frequency Responce: 20 -20khz (used to be 40-20khz in the original spec sheet but it is wrong as far as I know - check FSI's site)
Impedance: 32
Output Connector: Gold 3.5 (1/8") Stereo Plug
Isolation: 25 dB
Color: Neutral Flesh Tone (this one varies)

Btw, I can't believe that someone would find the big foamies too small but I guess some people to have extraordinarily wide ear canals. Anyway, FSI makes custom made soft canal inserst (kinda like the ones that come with the monitors). The soft ends are made of silicon an they pretty much last a life time. They do cost quite some ($135 plus the cost of ear impressions) but you get the most comfortable inserts ever. After all you get what you paid for ...

Feb 25, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cgdef
I have a pair of FSI ears (i.e. EM3) and have been using for about 2 months now. I got them to use them with zen xtra and have tried them with several different source including amps and semi highend stereo eqipment (nothing above $3000). Anyway, they do not benefit from amplifiers much even though they seem like they should. Pretty easy to drive but then again zen xtra is capable of driving my alessandro m1s without an amp perfectly fine and I never use it above 16-17 (out of 35 I think). Anyway the EM3s can go up to 20 without really hurting my ears but they do get pretty loud. You do have to burn them in before they start giving you all they have. Burn in took about 20-30 hours of use and it was almost constant use. As far as the foam tips are concerned I don't mind them much. They have great isolation and also after about 10-20 hours take the form of your ear canals more or less. As far as the Senns go I am pretty sure they are the same thing because Senn pays FSI to use their headphones. They are not even rebranded. Oh yeah and the specs listed above a not the correct ones for FSI and unless Senn cheaped out on the wiring (which I highly doubt) they are wrong for Senn too. These are form the sheet that came with my EM3s.

Transduce: FSI
Sensitivity: 118 dB
Frequency Responce: 20 -20khz (used to be 40-20khz in the original spec sheet but it is wrong as far as I know - check FSI's site)
Impedance: 32
Output Connector: Gold 3.5 (1/8") Stereo Plug
Isolation: 25 dB
Color: Neutral Flesh Tone (this one varies)

Btw, I can't believe that someone would find the big foamies too small but I guess some people to have extraordinarily wide ear canals. Anyway, FSI makes custom made soft canal inserst (kinda like the ones that come with the monitors). The soft ends are made of silicon an they pretty much last a life time. They do cost quite some ($135 plus the cost of ear impressions) but you get the most comfortable inserts ever. After all you get what you paid for ...

what about sound quality?
comparable to ms1 or not ?
or close to ksc35 ?

Feb 25, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #19 of 25
hello,

Actually, you are incorrect cgdef when you say sennhiesser IEMS arent even rebranded.

The 4 OEM pairs I received WIth a ew300 wireless rack setup were indeed labeled sennheisser the same way the koss plugs are labeled right around the driver housing.

Also, the model number IEM3 is prominently displayed on the outer button in the form or a round sticker on both sides.

The labels fall off quickly though as they seem to be some sorta cheap paper labels but they do indeed come rebranded.

and boodi,

think of ksc 35 without the bass impact(but just as flabby and overbearing bass) combined with the sony ex70 treble sound but thinner and you sorta get a pic of the sound of these IEMS.

Feb 25, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #21 of 25
hello,

My opinion on the varying differences of opinion are simple.

The people who like them are coming from el cheapo buds and headphones and just havent heard anything better to thier ears over a length of time.

I guess thier ears are attuned and acclimated to that particular sound and when they hear something new in a similar range of performance, well they get all excited and think this is it for me. The perfect phone.

That is until they hear something better down the road and then they say What?

I thought my current stuff was good, but this new stuff just blows it away.

heh.

In short, its just my opinion is all I am saying.

Acoustic performance and tastes vary too much to take anyones word for gospel.

One honest thing to consider about the futuresonics line.

According to Sennheiser USA, Sennheiser is dropping the IEM3 as an IEM and replacing it with the Sharp md33 because of the many complaints they received about the IEM3s performance.

(I am glad I wasnt alone in that sentiment either)

That, if not anything should honestly tell you how well the real performance is on the IEM3.

Especially if some 40 dollar 4 pole to three pole el cheapo conversion bud is considered to be a better performer that the IEM3 overall.

Feb 25, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
i picture them quite awfull/horrible sounding from your description ( soemthing like cheapo earbuds) , strange as somes are liking them

Subjective is the key word here.

I've learned very quickly reading through this forum, that no matter what can I'm researching, I will NEVER get the same opinion across the board. Hawkfire & I obviously disagree on the EM3's sound, but he doesn't know what I hear, nor do I know what he hears.

When it comes to portable listening, and you're not looking for a standard can (over the ear), then no matter which brand you get, and I'm assuming all the way up to ETY5's, that something will always be missing/lacking in the sound. My choice balances my desire for portability and what I consider good enough sound for not wanting full size cans walking around in a mall. No bud/canal can rival a standard can IMHO. So I have found that the EM3's give me enough fullness of sound to satisfy that which I was looking for.

Feb 25, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #23 of 25
hello,

IMO, three days of use isnt even enough to burn the IEM3s in, let alone form a subjective opinion as to thier overall performance.

You might not like them after they burn in or you just might like them all the same.

Point being you might change your mind after your ears become acclimated to the sound and burn in is complete.

And out of curiosity, what cans and IEMS/buds do you have experience with to say this?

No bud/canal can rival a standard can IMHO?

I am just interested in what type of prior can and IEM/bud experience you have to see where you are coming from is all.

Feb 25, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkfire
hello,

IMO, three days of use isnt even enough to burn the IEM3s in, let alone form a subjective opinion as to thier overall performance.

You might not like them after they burn in or you just might like them all the same.

Point being you might change your mind after your ears become acclimated to the sound and burn in is complete.

And out of curiosity, what cans and IEMS/buds do you have experience with to say this?

No bud/canal can rival a standard can IMHO?

I am just interested in what type of prior can and IEM/bud experience you have to see where you are coming from is all.

By the way - I really do enjoy these back and forth conversations, because I learn something new each step of the way.

First the EM3's - without even fully burning them in, I am satisfied with their overall performance, and they are exactly the "form" of cans I was looking for to use with my Zen Micro. I also really like my B&O A8's sound, although they do hurt after a few hours of constant listening.

As far as my comment on buds/canals not rivalling standard over the ear cans, I neglected to use the word "assumption". From an entirely manufacturing standpoint, I just imagine it nearly impossible for a canal/bud to be able to reach the depth of bass a good can can (I really didn't want to say that).

You know I'm a newbie if you've read some other of my posts. My prior can experience is VERY limited. I own Nakamichi SP-7's, Sony MDR-G74SL, Radioshack Titaniums (older - not sure of the model #), and various buds that have come with various audio equipment I've had over the years.

The A8's and EM3's (since I wanted to fulfill my portable listening 1st) are my 1st higher end purchase I've made in a long time. Now I'm looking for a good home metal music can.

Feb 26, 2005 at 11:24 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhlbbs
So imo I think the IE3 give very good value for the price and I am very pleased with My purchase.

Well, at least you are pleased. I got the IE3 yesterday and already sent them back. I mean I knew that they looked like crap before I bought them, but I'm afraid I have to say that they don't sound much better than they look.

The positive thing about them for me were the foamies: quite comfortable, I was sure from the beginning that this is the best sound I can get from those cans.

I can't remember who wrote this, but I have to agree 100%: when you listen to the IE3 you get the impression that there are lows and highs, and the vocals seem to be pushed into the highs, which sounds horrible, at least to my ears. where did they leave the mids?? The second thing that frustrated me: even with loud music, they sounded rather "small". You feel like being in a small room listening to not-so-high-quality music. Oh yeah, and the last thing I have to mention are the deep lows, they sounded a bit muddy to me...

Well, with burn-in or without burn-in, after a few hours listening-time I was completely sure that I wanted my money back. The Sony EX51 sound way better, and yes, even the original IPod earbuds do! I had high expectations concerning the IE3, but they're just a very big disappointment for me.

I guess I have to agree with most of the things hawkfire said about them in this thread...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back