Sennheisser HD25 and iPod Nano
Oct 31, 2009 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

badhorsy

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
just looking for a bit of advice.

I've just purchased a new set of Sennheisser HD25s for use both on the move (with my iPod) and at uni (with my MacBook).
One thing that I've noticed is that the sound quality is a little different in moving between the two devices - the sound is absolutely outstanding when plugged into my laptop, but when plugging into my ipod the sound quality drops slightly (don't get me wrong, it's still good, just not as good as the laptop).
I'm thinking that this is probably just due to the difference in impedance between the two devices? Has anyone had any experience with this, or can recommend a fix to improve the ipod sound?

Thanks

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 4
You've discovered the reason that people buy amplifiers for portable sources.

And it's impressive that you've done so, because for my money the HD25 is one of the most remarkably easy-to-drive headphones there is (it certainly survives unamped sources better than anything else in my collection, bar none except earbuds and IEMS (and not even all of those)). Congratulations (quite seriously) on your discerning ear.

(Your surmise is right, or at least roughly right. The MacBook can supply more current to the headphone than your iPod can, so in effect it has lower output impedance than the iPod does.)

As for what you can do about it, you've probably guessed the answer: get an amp for your iPod. Of these I have my own favorites and recommendations, but I'm not familiar with the more recent crops. Others who are can probably help you more. What would be your budget and your size/weight requirements?

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for your advice!

Yeh, I kind of suspected that a headphone amp might be the answer - it's an area I really know nothing about!

Ideally I would want something ultra portable, I use my ipod in commuting. I don't really want to spend more than 50 pounds either, my bank balance is already suffering due to the HD25s!

Is it possible to get something portable in that price range? Also, would the headphone amp improve the laptop sound also?

Thanks again.

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 4
For your laptop a amp/dac would be a good choice.
If you want something you can carry around I guess the nuforce icon or the fiio E7 are your only two choices (the fiio isnt out yet). you'll have to save a bit but then again the E7 isnt coming out before xmas.
Amping an laptop headphone out is a bad idea, all the little imperfections it has will get louder and more noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back