Sennheisers sending me to sleep
Jan 25, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #46 of 48
I'd have to say out of all the headphones I have tried (A900, AD700, AKG271S, HFI-780), I liked the sound from the K701 the best, INCLUDING the bass. This is coming off my Heed. AND I have tried these from my Zero with LT1364 and Moon. The K701 sounds thin coming from my Zero. Instead, the Heed manages to make the sound fuller and bassier on the K701. Now, I don't find a lack of bass at all. Listening to Pink Floyd's Waiting for Worms where there's a constant bass drum kick, I can hear it clearly and deeply. I seem to hear and not feel the bass, but I suspect that is because of the separation between the ears and the drivers due to the pads as well as the openness of the headphones. The quantity is there, though. Just not feelable. I hear and feel more quantity from the HFI-780, but again, I suspect it's due to being closed and drivers are right in front of ears. May as well wear earbuds. The HFI-780 sounds very processed when compared to the K701. The A900 manages to come closer to the K701, but the clarity of sound just isn't there to match.

All in all, the K701 matched with the Heed (only tried against Zero with LT1364 and Moon) sounds the closest to a real performance, including bass.

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #47 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioneer31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any agreement on their sound signatures? or definition of terms? To me recessed mids is hearing Sting as though he's 1/2 a mile away. The only models that people tend to agree on sound signatures are the Grados, particularly the cheaper ones.

From what I've read, people say

AKG 601 is good all rounder
AKG 701 has no discernable 'sound'
DT880 has recessed mids but fantastic detail
ATH AD900 has great bass
ATH 700 similar to 900.

BTW are there any UK online retailers who do returns? Surely they can't expect you to pay £200 for something you've never heard. When you buy a TV they let you watch it.......

If your in the UK then buy your headphones from Amazon UK.

They have a fantastic no quibble exchange and return policy.

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #48 of 48
FWIW, the HD580s are my reference, and I bought the AD700s as an alternative. They're good in that role. Not nearly as smooth (your "boring?"), lacking the impact in the bass, but the bass is there, and the upper mids and trebles are forward, detailed, if a bit grainy compared to the 580s. Great sound stage. Nearly as good as the Senns. A special side benefit is my Mac laptop can drive them with authority straight out of its headphone jack. Nice for listening around the house.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back