Sennheiser's new earbud line less efficient?
Apr 20, 2006 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Dr.Sade

100+ Head-Fier
At 64 ohms, Sennheisers new earbud line seems to be moving in the
direction of lower efficiency relative to their old earbud line at 16 ohms
and 32 ohms. The efficiency of some of their old buds is already too low
causing the mids to be too recessed. Are these new buds going to sound
too distant on typical portable players?

Click on the specification parts of this thread.

http://www.style-your-sound.com/

Apr 20, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
These are because of portable use.

There's no way that you can boost a 120ohm headphone with a portable player unless you have a amp, which is an annoying obstacle in the way.

I don't understand your point. My point point is that the 64 ohm buds probably won't sound as loud as the 16 ohm buds, especially in the mid range frequencies. I find that 32 ohm buds don't play as loud as 16 ohm buds at the same volume setting.

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
they may be stepping up aganst the "louder is better" crowd, and dumping efficency for the benefits of sound.

What you are saying makes sense in an amped system but I anticipate that they will sound veiled and distant on a typical unamped portable. Maybe they are anticipating more powerful portable devices that don't require a separate amp? Could be they know something about the future of consumer electronics that I don't.

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 15
Impedance is not efficiency. Efficiency depends on impedance combined with sensitivity. Furthermore, impedance has nothing to do with frequency response or recessed mids. THe sensitivity is not listed in the specs there that I could find, and could be very high. 64ohms should not be a problem for anyp ortable players given decent sensitivity, and in fact is easier to drive in many ways than extremely low impedance headphones because it requires less current (more voltage). The E5cs for example are 110ohms but sensitive enough not to require an amp.

jesse

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 15
For a couple of weeks now, I've had two models from each of the three new Sennheiser lines. The two I've spent the most time with so far are the MX51 Street and the PMX70 Sport, and both of these are 64-ohm--and both are easily driven by both my iPod Shuffle and portable CD players, both seeming quite sensitive actually. As for veil or distance, you've nothing to worry about with regard to either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Sade
What you are saying makes sense in an amped system but I anticipate that they will sound veiled and distant on a typical unamped portable. Maybe they are anticipating more powerful portable devices that don't require a separate amp? Could be they know something about the future of consumer electronics that I don't.

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
Impedance is not efficiency. Efficiency depends on impedance combined with sensitivity. Furthermore, impedance has nothing to do with frequency response or recessed mids. THe sensitivity is not listed in the specs there that I could find, and could be very high. 64ohms should not be a problem for anyp ortable players given decent sensitivity, and in fact is easier to drive in many ways than extremely low impedance headphones because it requires less current (more voltage). The E5cs for example are 110ohms but sensitive enough not to require an amp.

jesse

This comparison of Sennheiser's sensitivity specs shows that at least one new
bud (LX90) may be relatively less efficient than the old bud (PX10).

Old bud PX10: SPL 121db (1kHz/1Vrms) 16 ohms

New bud LX90: SPL 116db (1kHZ/1Vrms) 64 ohms

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 15
jude,
have you spent any time with the "style" line? and what are your thought on the new "twist to fit" system?

can you compare them to the mx400/500 series as well?

thx.

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
For a couple of weeks now, I've had two models from each of the three new Sennheiser lines. The two I've spent the most time with so far are the MX51 Street and the PMX70 Sport, and both of these are 64-ohm--and both are easily driven by both my iPod Shuffle and portable CD players, both seeming quite sensitive actually. As for veil or distance, you've nothing to worry about with regard to either.

How does the MX51 compare to the MX400, MX500, MX550?

How does the PMX70 sport compare to the PX10?

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
jude,
have you spent any time with the "style" line? and what are your thought on the new "twist to fit" system?

can you compare them to the mx400/500 series as well?

thx.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Sade
How does the MX51 compare to the MX400, MX500, MX550?

How does the PMX70 sport compare to the PX10?

It has been a long time since I've had a MX400 or MX500 around, and neither were earphones I'd lived with much--so I can offer little to no help in terms of any direct comparison to those.

I consider the MX51 a sort of PX100 in earbud form--I really like it, and now carry it more often than the PX100, as it's obviously a lot smaller.

redshifter, yes, I've spent some time with a couple of models from the Style line, one being the MX90 VC Style, which is a Twist-to-Fit design. You know how some earphones sound best with a little pressure applied by your fingers? Well, the Twist-to-Fit setup does that for you. You have to take a bit of time to fit them first (it comes with a "fit kit"), but once you have the right bits and pieces chosen for your ears, it locks in nicely, the upper portion applying gentle pressure to the main earphone section.

I've started by focusing mostly on the MX51 Street and the PMX70 Sport, but the MX90 VC Style is definitely next on my list to actually live with, as my early impressions of it are also very good.

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #12 of 15
thanks jude. i've always had a problem with earbud fit, and it sounds like senn has a new approach. too cool.

btw, it looks like your new avatar is the goreki symphony. i love that cd, very emotional.

May 27, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by astranovus
i've just bought the mx90, they are the most comfiest phones i have ever bought, with that little extra atachement thing above the actual membrane

I really like the way the MX90 VC Style fits, too. At the Wadia Meet, that was Todd R's favorite of the few examples of the new line we had there (he said it was the best sounding earbud-type headphone he'd yet heard).

strohmie, however, with his apparently atypical ears (you could actually see his pinnae are shaped different than most), couldn't get the MX90 VC Style to fit, and he tried the different sized fit disks. So, if your ears are freakishly different than normal (just kidding, Jason
wink.gif
), you might want to go with the MX51 Street (or other non-Twist-to-Fit model). I should note that other than strohmie, nobody else I've let use the MX90 VC Style has had a problem getting it to fit after determining the right fit disks for his/her ears.

Jun 7, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #15 of 15
Hi, i was searching for a review of the new line of Sennheiser on the web and i found this page....
biggrin.gif

I'm looking for new earbud for my Iriver H10 (i've the original sennheiser mx400 earbud).....do you think that the MX51 has a better sound of MX400, expecially for the bass, or the best earbud for this range of price are still the Creative EP-630 in-ear?

Thank you very much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back