sennheiser's IE8 clicking noise
Jan 18, 2010 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nuclear

New Head-Fier
i got these iem's for about a month now and been using them very frequently like an hour each day and also gave them a few hours of burn during the nights, my problem is that sometimes when i insert the ie8's into my ears pushing them from their back i hear a noise similar to a mouse clicking sound, was wondering if thats normal and if it could cause any damage because im already starting to feel reduced sound quality and hoping thats only a psychological effect this thing has had on me, so.. is it normal and my phones have been damaged?

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 12
Does the sound seem to come from inside the earphones, such as from the driver? ...or from outside the earphone and instead from the seal in your ear canal? If it's the latter, I'd advise to be sure you've tried out all the included tips (there's such a vast array). Of the Sennheiser tips, I have the best luck with either the semi-hard foamies, or the bi-flange silicone ones. There are plenty of other tip options that fit too. You can always try Comply, or UE single flange silicones (these are my favorite by far), or Sony Hybrids (but those are a supreme struggle to wrestle on the nozzles).

Welcome to Head-Fi btw.....

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 12
thanks for greeting me and for your quick reply, the click sound comes from inside the earphones, it sounds like a click one might think comes from an ipod or a mouse click, im pretty certain it has nothing to do with the eartips, i am really worried iv already damaged them, it happens while i force them into my ears pushing them from their back exactly where the sennheiser logo is, please advice me on what might cause that sound and if it caused a potential damage to my iems ://

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 12
hmm if im not wrong, the clicking sound is from your silicon tips. This happened to me when i was using my crossroads woody, nothing wrong with the driver. the sound happens whenever your silicon tips compress. try using another tip that is not silicon made, if you have, the sound shouldn't be there.

Jan 19, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 12
^^ Agreed... try the included black foam tips. I've had much success with those.

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 12
I am not convinced.

It could be the drivers flexing under the increased intra-auditory canal pressure as the air between them and the ear drum is compressed. This is a very very common occurence with IEMs like CX300, Mylarone and I also get it with Hippo VB

Next time you inseert try the following

Use your oppsite hand to pull the pinna of your ear upwards and outwards and open your mouth wide as you insert each IEM. Then allow the pinna to relax and close your mouth in order for the ear canal to form a seal on the IEM tip.

Example, for left ear hold iem in left hand and use ringh hand above the head to lift and pull the pinna out.

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 12
i noticed that the exact noise happens when i tick with my finger on the outer part of the iem, if its what you described as the driver flexing due to high pressure could it have caused any damage? should i send them out for repair ? :X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back