Sennheisers and closed back headphones
Feb 27, 2015 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SKisaGooner

New Head-Fier
The word is that if you're looking for closed back headphones, Sennheisers are one of those brands that you should avoid. It seems like people have the impression like Senns are only good for open backs. However closed back headphones like the popular HD 280 and the new HD 380 seems to be favoured by a lot of people

So where did this word come from and why does it exist?

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 8
I don't see why anyone would avoid closed Sennheiser headphones. I used to have a set of their EH2200 model and I was really pleased with its sound quality. All the highly regarded models are open backed now. The headphone market is saturated and the opinions of millions of people who buy headphones can sometimes be misleading.

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 8
  The word is that if you're looking for closed back headphones, Sennheisers are one of those brands that you should avoid. It seems like people have the impression like Senns are only good for open backs. However closed back headphones like the popular HD 280 and the new HD 380 seems to be favoured by a lot of people

So where did this word come from and why does it exist?

First I think we should establish that it indeed exists.... Any sources for the "word" - because that is quite the wrong statement that everyone with an Momentum, HD25-1, Amperior, DJ6,7,8 and plenty of other models can confirm....

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 8
I had a pair of HD280's for a number of years and I was pretty disappointed with their sound. Closed headphones in general tend to have a lot of issues with sound, regardless of brand. You either get something with weird treble, or you get boomy midbass.

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 8

First I think we should establish that it indeed exists.... Any sources for the "word" - because that is quite the wrong statement that everyone with an Momentum, HD25-1, Amperior, DJ6,7,8 and plenty of other models can confirm....

My friend said it when he notice that I had some brand loyalty for Sennheiser. I took it with a pinch of salt, until when I went to my local headphone store (Jaben) and they said they don't stock many closed back Senns because they're not that good at it. Showed me Audio-Technicas and Shures instead, though I forgot which model, I didn't like them both.

I had a pair of HD280's for a number of years and I was pretty disappointed with their sound. Closed headphones in general tend to have a lot of issues with sound, regardless of brand. You either get something with weird treble, or you get boomy midbass.

That's sad to hear because I was thinking of getting the HD 280. I haven't auditioned it, but I heard the sound is meant to be neutral, flat response. Any chance that that's the kind of thing you don't like?

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 8

My friend said it when he notice that I had some brand loyalty for Sennheiser. I took it with a pinch of salt, until when I went to my local headphone store (Jaben) and they said they don't stock many closed back Senns because they're not that good at it. Showed me Audio-Technicas and Shures instead, though I forgot which model, I didn't like them both.

That's sad to hear because I was thinking of getting the HD 280. I haven't auditioned it, but I heard the sound is meant to be neutral, flat response. Any chance that that's the kind of thing you don't like?

Nope, my headphones are HD600's, K702's, and DT250's, all of which are intended to be "flat" and "neutral," which is what I look for in a headphone (they all do this to varying degrees as nothing is really flat). For some reason, people describe the M50's, HD280's, and SRH 840's as "flat" or "neutral;" I have personally owned all 3 of them and I assure you that they sound absolutely nothing alike, and sound nothing like any of my other headphones which are also "neutral." I think people just see the words "monitor headphones" and then the head fi echo chamber kicks in and they just keep repeating the words "flat response" even if they haven't heard them. Also, "flat response" often seems to be code for "these headphones don't have any bass," which is really something you have to look out for. Truly "neutral" headphones can sound musical and have bass. Most monitoring headphones just have a ton of treble to make people think they are more detailed.

The main issue I had with the HD280's was that they simply didn't sound very full and musical, and they have a significant dip in the midbass which makes bass guitar sound very recessed. The overall sound of the HD280's to me was pretty cold and mechanical sounding because of the treble emphasis. To be fair I haven't owned the HD280's for a few years, but I was never really impressed by their sound and often had to rely on pretty heavy EQ to get them to sound good to me.

However, I am very satisfied with the 250 ohm DT250; they have a very full sound and better bass extension than the HD600's, while still maintaining detailed treble and midrange. In some ways, they sound more neutral than the HD600's because they don't have the bass rolloff that open cans are often plagued with (other than planar magnetics). The issue with closed headphones is that they often have peaks in the bass that makes them sound boomy

Mar 1, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #7 of 8
  The main issue I had with the HD280's was that they simply didn't sound very full and musical, and they have a significant dip in the midbass which makes bass guitar sound very recessed. The overall sound of the HD280's to me was pretty cold and mechanical sounding because of the treble emphasis. To be fair I haven't owned the HD280's for a few years, but I was never really impressed by their sound and often had to rely on pretty heavy EQ to get them to sound good to me.

Maybe you expected a little too much from a relatively cheap pair of cans?

It's sad to hear this from you, but I guess it's a good reality check after being mesmerised by good reviews throughout the Internet. I'd have to listen for myself.

What do you think "neutral, flat response" should sound like ideally?

Mar 1, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 8

Maybe you expected a little too much from a relatively cheap pair of cans?

It's sad to hear this from you, but I guess it's a good reality check after being mesmerised by good reviews throughout the Internet. I'd have to listen for myself.

What do you think "neutral, flat response" should sound like ideally?

I didn't expect anything from them; they were my first non cheap headphones a long time ago. To be fair I haven't owned anything in that price range since, but there are probably better options for not a lot more.

I don't really care so much about absolute flatness in headphones as I care that the headphones sound realistic and natural. I have used headphones that simply don't render instruments or other audio realistically; cymbals don't sound like they should or vocals are recessed or have the wrong timbre. Ideally, a "neutral" headphone shouldn't have a realistic sound, at least in my opinion. Even the HD800's, which are very detailed, don't sound as realistic as they should to me because of their treble emphasis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back