Sennheiser
Nov 28, 2003 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pomegranate

100+ Head-Fier
I'm probably going to settle for Sennheiser earbuds, MX400, 450RC or 500s, to replace the Apple bundled ones that came with iPod.
I want to know if any of these models do that sound-isolation thing? Cos I want to be able to listen loud and clear, but don't want to have to annoy people around me. Also does any recommend any high-quality but not extortionately-priced earbuds (e.g under £50/$90) available in UK?

Are Sennys really that fantastic, cos they don't seem very expensive for their reputed quality? If they're not isolation earbuds, are there any decent earbuds that are isolation in the price range I've mentioned?

P

Nov 28, 2003 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 5
They won't isolate any more than the stock iPod earbuds. If you want isolation your best bet is to move up to the Shure e2c's or Etys er6's. Both are canal earphones though. The former is just under your budget limit. I don't know of any isolating earbuds, but I may be missing something.

Nov 28, 2003 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 5
I think perhaps I am confused about the def of earbuds. I'm just thinking of any earphones that sit inside your ear without a headband, neckband, or earclips.
The Shures "look" pretty nice, I wasn't too confident about the "normal" shape of the Sennheisers. Does anyone know of a vendor for Shure in the UK?
Question is now, can I find a supplier in time for Xmas??

Thanks once again.

Nov 28, 2003 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 5
Earbuds don't go inside your ear, they are held outside the ear by a natural flap of cartilidge (sp?) of the ear. Canalphones on the other hand go inside the ear and thus are able to isolate.

Nov 28, 2003 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 5
Actually never mind, I've found a UK seller, selling the e2s for £59 plus £5 recorded delivery. This is quite reasonable given that the RRP in the US ($99) converts to £57.50. And they've got them in stock!

EDIT, dammit that was exluding VAT at 17.5%!! Total cost including delivery is £75!! Grr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back