Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 13, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #4,126 of 4,141
Has anyone ever tried running the 650 with a subwoofer for kicks? The results are kind of amazing.

Edit: After playing around I decided against it, got some crazy phasing that just didn’t sound great. Was an interesting “what-if” for a few moments though.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #4,127 of 4,141
I have, and it's always fun to experiment, but maybe for a more intentional setup you could use some high-pass filtering techniques to help it integrate better. At the end of the day, I prefer a single driver.

Aug 13, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #4,128 of 4,141
Mogami Star Quad is ok, but it’s a common microphone cable... decent but not the max possible quality. Many aftermarket cables are just side grades. You may or may not hear much difference from the Mogami to the stock Sennheiser cable (I haven’t compared these two, but I may have made a comment over three years ago when I got a mogami cable to replace my stock AKG cable), but it will probably be a little heavier and less pliable.

I agree with @Joe Garfield, cable downgrades/upgrades are audible, but lower end amps and other gear in the signal chain can add their own artifacts that mask the effect of the cable. Tubes or solid state amps can both be high quality, and there are many great options out there.

I ordered the Mogami to use as an extension with the stock cable. Just trying to avoid losing too much SQ over stock cable alone. My existing extension sucks the life out of my new hifi system.

Aug 15, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #4,129 of 4,141
Has anyone ever tried running the 650 with a subwoofer for kicks? The results are kind of amazing.

i did a long time ago, but my arms got tiered holding two subs next to my ears.

Aug 15, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #4,130 of 4,141
i did a long time ago, but my arms got tiered holding two subs next to my ears.
giphy.gif

Aug 16, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #4,131 of 4,141
I ordered the Mogami to use as an extension with the stock cable. Just trying to avoid losing too much SQ over stock cable alone. My existing extension sucks the life out of my new hifi system.

There is audible high frequency loss using Mogami 2893 over a 20 ft extension, with HD6xx and Bottlehead Crack. IDK if 'loss' is the right word, it sounds more like a change in decay or dynamics of high frequencies. I ordered the extension pre-made so I'll have to open it up and see how it's wired. Potentially 2893 can have 3x capacitance of standard mic cable depending how it's wired.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #4,132 of 4,141
Hey guys. I'm interested in getting a Drop HD6xx. How often does Drop usually do these runs? The current run is finishing in 3 days, and I wonder when the next run will be and if Drop will do a Thanksgiving/holiday special pricing (did Drop ever do that)? Thanks!

Jun 15, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #4,138 of 4,141
After montsh using the HD 650 I have to say that i think they are the best headphones ever, nothing to say, I felt in love with them in every sense, i love electronic music and the bass for an open can is tight and strong and amazing.

The details in the mid range and de highs that aren't harsh at all is like a design made just for my music taste.

Can be happier, i really think that the get better with 100/200 hours of burn in, i feel that the instrument separation gets wider and the bass punchier, Really noticiable for my ears.

I also own sony xm4, sennheiser hd25, Piooner HDJ X10 and v-moda m100, all those headphones are miles away from this in every aspect.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #4,139 of 4,141
Hello guys,
I own the hd6xx and the LCD2 rev2 paired with the Ifi Zen can signature headamp. After listening to the Focal Elex I found my two headphones sleepy and dull. Do you guys think if I should buy a new bigger and better amp? I think my Zen Can sig that may causes the sleepy problem . Because when pairing the LCD2 with my second amp Arcam Rhead the headphone doesn’t sound sleepy at all. But the Rhead cannot drive my HD6xx . And it seriously lacks the definition and slam that the Ifi amp gives to the headphones.
Can you guys recommend me a good sub $500 headamp that is not compressed (like Schiit ss amps) at the same time a bit more agile than the Ifi Zen Can signature? Otherwise I should just order an Elex for $600 , keep my little amps and hope that Focal headphone will not stop working in a few years.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #4,140 of 4,141
Hello guys,
I own the hd6xx and the LCD2 rev2 paired with the Ifi Zen can signature headamp. After listening to the Focal Elex I found my two headphones sleepy and dull. Do you guys think if I should buy a new bigger and better amp? I think my Zen Can sig that may causes the sleepy problem . Because when pairing the LCD2 with my second amp Arcam Rhead the headphone doesn’t sound sleepy at all. But the Rhead cannot drive my HD6xx . And it seriously lacks the definition and slam that the Ifi amp gives to the headphones.
Can you guys recommend me a good sub $500 headamp that is not compressed (like Schiit ss amps) but a bit more agile than the Ifi Zen Can signature? Otherwise I should just order the Elex for $600 , keep my little amps and hope the headphone will not stop working in a few years.
Do not try to solve a headphone problem with a different amp. If you prefer the Elex, buy the Elex. An amp will not solve the problem you mentioned. An amp should amplify, not change the sound signature of a particular headphone.
I own the HD6XX and the Focal Clear MG. The MG is more dynamic, the 6XX warmer and more laid back. My Mojo2 DAC or iFI Zen Can Signature will not change either headphone’s sound signature. If you live the 6XX sound but would prefer a livelier headphone and if you have the money, go for the Focal Clear MG. Maybe the Elex does the same kind of upgrade with similar sound signature and livelier sound for less $, I cannot say I haven’t heard the Elex but it’s quite possible, being a Focal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back