Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 17, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #3,751 of 4,141
I love teh HD6xx for music, but for gaming I tend to go with my Monolith M560 with XBR 500 earpads because the soundstage is so much wider makes gaming more fun to me. But for most genres of music I prefer 6xx a lot, if it just had a smidgen bigger soundstage it would be perfect.

Dec 17, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #3,752 of 4,141
That's interesting considering i have the 558's and was listening to them when i got my MK3's. It was definitely a love at first listen for me. I found a cable (WH-1000x) that i can use with my lg v20 case on but they still barely get loud enough with this phone!!

I pulled out my T50RP MK3 and plugged them into my V20 with a V-Moda cable and noted that on the same exact song titles, the volume on Spotify require me to turn it up to max while max volume on Tidal via the CapTune app is TOO LOUD and to match volume with Spotify I have to go down to 60.

Dec 18, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #3,754 of 4,141
Hi Folks

Quick question.. I have a pair of HD6XX (ordered in June 2017 and arrived in early December 2017) which I use daily at home. I am considering to get a second pair as spare set, to be kept sealed and in storage till my main pair dies on me. I do that for IEMs as there are more points of failure for IEMs (smaller more breakable parts, to be used when I am out of home / travelling which increases the risk of breaking). I actually purchased 2 pairs of Ultimate Ears TF10s back in 2011 (Amazon black friday sale) and the first pair died on me in 2016 (classic pin broke and stuck inside), lucky me I have a spare pair of TF10 which I am using now. Nothing seems to have "melted" or distinterated on my second pair of TF10 after kept in storage for 5 years or so.

Do people generally buy a "spare" set of headphones like these to be kept as a backup? My main concern is that the earpads will disintegrate over time, and my HD6XX is to be used strictly on a home use basis, I wonder how long my main pair of HD6XX will last before I have to break open the spare set of HD6XX to use it.

I am located in South East Asia, so the weather here is hot and humid for those who want to know. I was thinking of throwing a few packs of Silica packets to absorb moisture before sealing the Massdrop box again for storage.

I know, I could save up the USD199 from this HD6XX Massdrop and get other headphones in the future, but I am the kind of person who hate changes and I tend to stick to using something same for a long time..

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #3,755 of 4,141
Hi Folks

Quick question.. I have a pair of HD6XX (ordered in June 2017 and arrived in early December 2017) which I use daily at home. I am considering to get a second pair as spare set, to be kept sealed and in storage till my main pair dies on me. I do that for IEMs as there are more points of failure for IEMs (smaller more breakable parts, to be used when I am out of home / travelling which increases the risk of breaking). I actually purchased 2 pairs of Ultimate Ears TF10s back in 2011 (Amazon black friday sale) and the first pair died on me in 2016 (classic pin broke and stuck inside), lucky me I have a spare pair of TF10 which I am using now. Nothing seems to have "melted" or distinterated on my second pair of TF10 after kept in storage for 5 years or so.

Do people generally buy a "spare" set of headphones like these to be kept as a backup? My main concern is that the earpads will disintegrate over time, and my HD6XX is to be used strictly on a home use basis, I wonder how long my main pair of HD6XX will last before I have to break open the spare set of HD6XX to use it.

I am located in South East Asia, so the weather here is hot and humid for those who want to know. I was thinking of throwing a few packs of Silica packets to absorb moisture before sealing the Massdrop box again for storage.

I know, I could save up the USD199 from this HD6XX Massdrop and get other headphones in the future, but I am the kind of person who hate changes and I tend to stick to using something same for a long time..

If it were me, I'd just buy a spare set of pads...

Dec 18, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #3,756 of 4,141
Hi Folks

Better off to have a variety of headphones. They will probably last you a life time, and even if they don't it is not the end of the world. The HD6xx do not have a very wide soundstage, so I recommend you get some cans that have a wide soundstage so you can have a different flavor to your music. Also if you are using a crappy amp with the HD6xx buy a Magni 3 amp instead for $99, it pairs really well with it. 3 watts mmm nom nom

Dec 18, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #3,758 of 4,141
The 6XX is the bargain of the century. Loving mine.

geuIwT.jpg

Dec 18, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #3,759 of 4,141
Better off to have a variety of headphones. They will probably last you a life time, and even if they don't it is not the end of the world. The HD6xx do not have a very wide soundstage, so I recommend you get some cans that have a wide soundstage so you can have a different flavor to your music. Also if you are using a crappy amp with the HD6xx buy a Magni 3 amp instead for $99, it pairs really well with it. 3 watts mmm nom nom

I agree. Thanks for your input. In fact, I do have a pair of HD598SE (open can version) as well. I may just stick to one any only pair of HD6XX and swap around at home.

Dec 19, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #3,760 of 4,141
While, can't deny it, I see why the HD650/6XX are so well considered, they live up to the hype: better clarity than the flagships I own, great soundstage and smooth across the entire frequency spectrum. They're the only headphones this year that do the new War On Drugs album justice, with its loud, complex and rough mix they don't distort and the imagining is outstanding, it's amazing to hear the separation work out of such tiny drivers with such articulation.

I'm going to be busy this weekend.

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #3,761 of 4,141
I know this is something I could easily read this thread to answer but I enjoy the engagement of this community so I like to ask silly questions anyway:
What's a suggested amp for under a thousand dollars to pair with the 650? If it matters I have eclectic tastes and listen to a lot of modern rap, r&b, rock, electronic. They sound great single ended out of my FiiO X7-2 but I'm thinking a desktop amp is worth investing in: even at high gain they're a little quiet. Sound stellar though.

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #3,763 of 4,141
I know this is something I could easily read this thread to answer but I enjoy the engagement of this community so I like to ask silly questions anyway:
What's a suggested amp for under a thousand dollars to pair with the 650? If it matters I have eclectic tastes and listen to a lot of modern rap, r&b, rock, electronic. They sound great single ended out of my FiiO X7-2 but I'm thinking a desktop amp is worth investing in: even at high gain they're a little quiet. Sound stellar though.

Have you tried out the X7ii amp?

Shane D

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #3,765 of 4,141
You will have a large choice of amp under $1K.
My own setup is all Little Dot: CDP1-DAC_1-MKIVSE-HD6XX. Volume and sound quality is no problem with my setup!
I was lucky I got this package of LD used for under $500.
That's an upper limit. If I could get 90% of the performance for like five hundred bucks I'd likely go that option.

What's the retail price on your output chain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back