Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 14, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #3,736 of 4,141
Dec 15, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #3,737 of 4,141
Onto it, thank you. Have asked Dekoni if they have something of quality to fit my lovely old HD540Rs as well. How do you find the HD6XX with the Jotunheim and Mimby? I have a Magni 3 which is fab with my HifiMAN HE400S cans, via Kimber USB to MusicStreamer II+ and pure silver cables to the Magni 3, a brilliant combo. I'm going to add a Mimby to the system early next year.

Dec 15, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #3,738 of 4,141
Hi all!

I've had the 6XX for two days now. I just have to say, I get what all the fuss is about when it comes to the 650/6XX. This is an outstanding headphone in every way I can think of, and I can understand how this could be endgame for a lot of people. I didn't expect to have such a positive response to these: I'm very surprised!

Dec 15, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #3,739 of 4,141
Onto it, thank you. Have asked Dekoni if they have something of quality to fit my lovely old HD540Rs as well. How do you find the HD6XX with the Jotunheim and Mimby? I have a Magni 3 which is fab with my HifiMAN HE400S cans, via Kimber USB to MusicStreamer II+ and pure silver cables to the Magni 3, a brilliant combo. I'm going to add a Mimby to the system early next year.
It reminds me of an audeze with a hybrid tube amp actually. It would get the job done for most people but I think I'd like a bit more soundstage tbh, which I think is down to the headphones because I know these have a rep for being more on the narrow side. But the price is hardest to beat for this level of quality.

Dec 15, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #3,740 of 4,141
Anyone tried the Dynmat mod, but didn't remove the spider cage? I just want to tighten up the bass a little without changing the FR.

Dec 15, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #3,741 of 4,141
Hi all!

I've had the 6XX for two days now. I just have to say, I get what all the fuss is about when it comes to the 650/6XX. This is an outstanding headphone in every way I can think of, and I can understand how this could be endgame for a lot of people. I didn't expect to have such a positive response to these: I'm very surprised!
I used to own a pair of HD650s a few years ago and the sig will change a bit as they run in, smooth out and the bass will loosen up and become more expressive. Took weeks for mine to do that, but it is more subtle after 40-50 hours or so. Not that it's dramatic anyway, but the freeing up of the sound stage will happen on good recordings, I remember some surprising things happening to the final stages of the live concert "Two Men With The Blues" by Willie Nelson and Winton Marsalis that I haven't been able to quite reproduce since, despite improvements in other areas.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #3,742 of 4,141
Anyone tried the Dynmat mod, but didn't remove the spider cage? I just want to tighten up the bass a little without changing the FR.
Not on the Senns, only on my Denon AH-D1000s :) Being subtle with the DynaMat is the key and now that I have new ear-pads on them, with new cables, the effects of the mods are quite dramatic!

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #3,744 of 4,141
Just got mine today, I even got lucky as I somehow didn't have to pay the French customs

DRKPptgXUAAJbkz.jpg:large

DRKSX7GWsAIeKlq.jpg:large

Dec 16, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #3,745 of 4,141
Watch out, the HD 6XX only grows on you with time! Was bothered by the veil at first, but then the midrange kicks in and it's forgiveable.

They certainly do. I sold my HD800S and THX00 PH because I just use the HD6XX all the time. The veil doesn't bother me, because when I try my Oppo PM3 the HD6XX sound positively lively in comparison. Guess I'm more of a mids guy these days.

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #3,746 of 4,141
I guess y'all can count me as one who does not hear a 'veil'. It could be my amps, but so far the 6XX has more clarity and balance than my Meze Neo 99's or my Hifiman HE-400i's. Which is saying a lot.

Really: these are superb headphones, at least on the rigs in my signature.

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #3,747 of 4,141
Hey guys, do you think hd6xx is worth buying if I have t50rp? I´m considering jumping on the massdrop deal.
Hey, this is only my second real post. I just bought the t50rp mk3 and I received my 6xx yesterday! l was slightly disappointed at first.. but I just really love the sound of the mk3, my first planars! I think the 6xx are opening up though, or I'm opening up to them! Im still waiting on my magni 3 and my modi 2 uber will come early next year so I listened to both out of my macbook.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #3,748 of 4,141
Hey guys, this my first post in a thread tnoam

Hey, this is only my second real post. I just bought the t50rp mk3 and I received my 6xx yesterday! l was slightly disappointed at first.. but I just really love the sound of the mk3, my first planars! I think the 6xx are opening up though, or I'm opening up to them! Im still waiting on my magni 3 and my modi 2 uber will come early next year so I listened to both out of my macbook.

It may be that your brain needs time to adjust to the sound signature of the 6XX.

I remember having a somewhat opposite experience -- being slightly disappointed when I first listened to the T50RP MK3, my first planers, after having my Sennheiser HD 558 as my primary headphones for a while. I thought, "different, but not better than my HD 558."

But as I listened more to the T50RP MK3, I began to appreciate it as definitely superior in many respects. I got the HD 650 much later, and to my ears, the 650 are overall definitely better than the T50RP MK3.

Dec 17, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #3,749 of 4,141
It may be that your brain needs time to adjust to the sound signature of the 6XX.

I remember having a somewhat opposite experience -- being slightly disappointed when I first listened to the T50RP MK3, my first planers, after having my Sennheiser HD 558 as my primary headphones for a while. I thought, "different, but not better than my HD 558."

But as I listened more to the T50RP MK3, I began to appreciate it as definitely superior in many respects. I got the HD 650 much later, and to my ears, the 650 are overall definitely better than the T50RP MK3.
That's interesting considering i have the 558's and was listening to them when i got my MK3's. It was definitely a love at first listen for me. I found a cable (WH-1000x) that i can use with my lg v20 case on but they still barely get loud enough with this phone!!

Dec 17, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #3,750 of 4,141
Okay, after listening A LOT this weekend, these are simply amazing.

But I have one major gripe: they need substantial volume to sound their best. Way louder than I tend to listen to for long sessions. But if they don't have decent volume, I'm guessing 90 dB or higher, they do tend to sound flat, and with a veil, I guess.

But man, Opeth's Blackwater Park just sounded as good as I've ever heard it, regardless of source or equipment. Just a little too loud for these 54-year-old ears.

Regardless, these are keepers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back