Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 2, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #3,182 of 4,141
  Does it come with tubes? 

It sure does! Sounds quite good with the included tubes, you can spend crazy sums of money to get it to sound better. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #3,184 of 4,141
Thanks!

Regarding upgrades: Such as the power cable they sell?

Definitely get the speedball upgrade. I'd start reading the tube rolling thread as well for it. I wouldn't spend tons on new tubes for it, but you can change the sound a bit. Tubes are a lot of fun for sure.

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #3,185 of 4,141
Definitely get the speedball upgrade. I'd start reading the tube rolling thread as well for it. I wouldn't spend tons on new tubes for it, but you can change the sound a bit. Tubes are a lot of fun for sure.

Yeah, everything I've read says the speedball is worth it, and at this price I think it's a no brainer to get it at the same time. Now the question is: Do I build it with the speedball right away or build it to stock specs, and add the speedball after having a good listen..hmmm I'll probably hold off on going down the tube rolling rabbit hole for now, but I'm sure I'll end up there down the line.

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #3,186 of 4,141
I decided to go for it without the speedball to begin with. I will treat myself to the upgrade in the future when I feel like I want a change. I love the amp without the speedball, and I have read in a few places that it helps with the speed of the amp, but you lose out on some of the warmth. Personally, I am very happy for now and will get the speedball probably in a year or so. It's probably worth getting it at this price though.

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #3,187 of 4,141
Yeah, everything I've read says the speedball is worth it, and at this price I think it's a no brainer to get it at the same time. Now the question is: Do I build it with the speedball right away or build it to stock specs, and add the speedball after having a good listen..hmmm I'll probably hold off on going down the tube rolling rabbit hole for now, but I'm sure I'll end up there down the line.
The Speedball upgrade can be done at any time. The price is great to buy it now and then upgrade later. I bought a Crack that was already built and for the price of the kit now (I consider myself very lucky) and bought a Speedball and was ready to install but having it out on loan one of the leds died so now I bought one to build myself and new leds for the other so I will have a good A/B reference point. The Crack was made for the 6xx's though awesome thru it.

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #3,188 of 4,141
I decided to go for it without the speedball to begin with. I will treat myself to the upgrade in the future when I feel like I want a change. I love the amp without the speedball, and I have read in a few places that it helps with the speed of the amp, but you lose out on some of the warmth. Personally, I am very happy for now and will get the speedball probably in a year or so. It's probably worth getting it at this price though.

I did the same thing for mostly the same reason. If you know you're going to eventually get the speedball it's probably worthwhile to just do it now, but the discount isn't as large and realistically it will probably take a while before I have a free weekend to build even the base amp.

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #3,189 of 4,141
  IMO the crack takes these cans to another level, as well as the HD600. They were made for each other. The DIY is not for everyone though. You need a decent soldering iron for sure.

I'd like to buy the Crack kit but don't know anything about how to put it together, is there a way to buy it pre-assembled or have someone else do it for me?

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #3,190 of 4,141
All good info, thanks. I'll most likely just grab the speedball now, but wait to install so I can hear the difference. Was checking out the crack thread and there are some really nice assembled units that people have put together. Will definitely use that as some inspiration. I'll probably need to get another desk too just so I can have a place to put the dang thing; It's huge!

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #3,191 of 4,141
I'd like to buy the Crack kit but don't know anything about how to put it together, is there a way to buy it pre-assembled or have someone else do it for me?
I don't think they offer that option. I will be selling my other after I get mine built.

Mar 3, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #3,193 of 4,141
By Crack & Speedball now. Enjoy stock Crack then install SB later. It is NOT recommended to build Crack with SB at same time. Bottlehead actually says "Don't do it!" because if you assemble it & have to troubleshoot a problem you will have to remove SB to test.
Stock Crack sounds FANTASTIC!!

Mar 3, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #3,194 of 4,141
How does the crack sound compared to the Jotunheim? Just curious if anyone's heard both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back