Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 30, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #1,516 of 4,141

Thank you for the review. Like the funny tone it started with. Yes, a good tube amp would work better than Vicodin when you are in pain 
bigsmile_face.gif
. So the bottomline is, the reviewer found the nobsound amp to be the best among the three.

This review had bad things to say about the V2 amp. I wonder if it is because of the tube they used. Would changing the tube improve the sound, or are there other issues like noisy power supply or other poor components.

Just buy the Nobsound :) it is decent for the price

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #1,517 of 4,141
I ordered the Corpse balanced cable. He was formally making them for HeadRoom and struck out on his own (but still sells through HeadRoom). I got it for $85 with their coupon code. It's a stock 650 cable terminated for balanced use.

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #1,518 of 4,141

Just buy the Nobsound :) it is decent for the price

Thanks. I saw another newer amp on amazon from the same manufacturer. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I19SBPM/ref=psdc_537344_t2_B014FASL1A?th=1
This one, NS-01E is smaller, cuter 
redface.gif
and has only one tube instead of two. They both have the same price and same power output. I am now wondering which one to get, the original NS-08E or the new NS-01E. Has asked in the NS-08E forum too.

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #1,524 of 4,141
Just buy the Fiio A5. It's better than descent for the price.

I am not a fan of Fiio, audio is subjective, I would take a decently rated cheap tube anyday over solid state. I like tube sound though, so meh

The thing is, I already have a Cayin C5, so getting another portable amp in the same price range is not doable. The reason I am thinking about the nobsound is the tube part and the high power. I have never used a tube amp before and would like to try one without investing a lot. If it's garbage, it's $50. BTW, if it sounds garbage, it could be the poor quality stock tubes in some of them. There has been some discussion about it in another forum.

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #1,525 of 4,141
The thing is, I already have a Cayin C5, so getting another portable amp in the same price range is not doable. The reason I am thinking about the nobsound is the tube part and the high power. I have never used a tube amp before and would like to try one without investing a lot. If it's garbage, it's $50. BTW, if it sounds garbage, it could be the poor quality stock tubes in some of them. There has been some discussion about it in another forum.

I own 3 amps, they are all tubes, I can't speak for the Nobsound, but every review I have read on it says it does give a little bit of that tube magic. For $50 it isn't the end of the world, also you can refund if it isn't to your taste, just wait for HD6xx to arrive before you order it, cause who knows how late shipping will be on this drop, they haven't updated at us at all lol

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #1,526 of 4,141

I guess the video explains it, right?

Does it?  All I saw is arrogant electronics nerds making fun of audiophile nerds and making fun of an amp for using tubes as a buffer instead of as a full tube amp.  

Oh, and LEDs.  It has LEDs to look cool so therefore it must sound bad because audiophile nerds are stupid and will buy anything, says the electronics nerds.

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #1,527 of 4,141

Does it?  All I saw is arrogant electronics nerds making fun of audiophile nerds and making fun of an amp for using tubes as a buffer instead of as a full tube amp.  

Oh, and LEDs.  It has LEDs to look cool so therefore it must sound bad because audiophile nerds are stupid and will buy anything, says the electronics nerds.

Heh, it is nice to not be alone for once.  Cheers mate, good holidays to you

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #1,528 of 4,141
I ordered the Corpse balanced cable. He was formally making them for HeadRoom and struck out on his own (but still sells through HeadRoom). I got it for $85 with their coupon code. It's a stock 650 cable terminated for balanced use.

Should have spoken up mate, I sell quality full braided cables for that same price range.

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #1,529 of 4,141
All DACs and amps are designed by electrical engineers, some of whom may be audiophiles, some may not.

Real hybrid amps at least should supply enough plate voltage to the tube, which usually serves as a voltage gain stage.  And this amp apparently does not do so. The tube sound comes from the property of the vacuum tube that they brings even harmonics when performing their duty in the topology of the circuit. In this amp, the tube is for a buffer that is unnecessary in the topology of a typical basic op amp based amplifier. It is indeed in the signal path, and bringing in distortion, but this is like adding MSG into dishes to make them tasty, at best. 

No one is stopping you from liking it though. There are plenty of people in China who make a living by designing and manufacturing this kind of things. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back