Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 10, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #1,022 of 4,141
  Massdrop is a joke. 

Not a fan of their sales model.  Does not seem to work exactly as advertised.

That said however when I first had issues joining the drop.  I thought, no problem I'll buy a set used for less in couple months and save a few bucks.  But Massdrop took the time to research and see I was on the drop at 6:00am PST on drop day and could not complete my purchase and then contact me to inquire if I still wished to join the drop.  I did not contact customer service and complain, they contacted me.  I appreciate that.

And have really enjoyed a couple of their exclusive collaborations.  The Grace m9XX, TH-X00 and now these.

We will see how my purchase goes...

Nov 10, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #1,023 of 4,141
The only and biggest disadvantage of MD is common logistic issues and delays.
That said, the deals are often unbeatable and if such delay exists, you can cancel your order anytime, free of charge.
And the customer service is stellar. 

Nov 10, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #1,024 of 4,141
I was one of those who had successfully ended up with two orders. Last night my second order was cancelled. That was what I wanted. So one of you is probably going to get my second order.

Nov 10, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #1,027 of 4,141

I see your point, but I think it helps to look at this as sort of like a Black Friday in-store only deal..... you might camp out all night and still not get your $200 50" 4k LED. They only have so many of them, and so much room, and demand is through the roof. I don't recall people vowing never to return to Best Buy after striking out on BF.

Yes, this is internet and they should have been prepared etc, but in reality it's pretty hard to know how these things go down until it actually happens. 

You're looking at it the wrong way.  The proper analogy would be if people are camped out for a Black Friday deal, then the store just starts randomly pulling people from the line regardless of position so there are people who were camped out the front who don't get to go in and people from the back who get to.  That's the reason people were angry, not simply because they whiffed.

Nov 10, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #1,028 of 4,141
I'm pretty confident that Massdrop is a small business with a handful of employees doing the best they can to create things people will like.  It seems they're doing that.  They've apologized for the issues and will now have some more money to further develop their infrastructure to avoid this from happening again.  I'm pretty sure the message was clearly heard.

Nov 10, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #1,029 of 4,141

I agree. I was prepared for disappointment after saw it overhyped everywhere. It's obviously gonna be chaos. Luckily I got it.

I'm more annoyed with people who already owns like five hd650s and still trying to score. I mean.. give us plebs a chance LOL.
Also I noticed there're plenty of people who have no idea what a HD6XX is and trying to buy just because 'internet told me to do so'.

No offence. Just a matter of curiosity, what is HD6xx from your point of view in spite of the emerging of highly regarded cans like X2,HE400S, or even Elear in these years?

Nov 10, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #1,030 of 4,141

You're looking at it the wrong way.  The proper analogy would be if people are camped out for a Black Friday deal, then the store just starts randomly pulling people from the line regardless of position so there are people who were camped out the front who don't get to go in and people from the back who get to.  That's the reason people were angry, not simply because they whiffed.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I don't think that analogy makes sense.  People camped out in line have a place in that line.  One follows the other, so it makes sense to expect your place in line to be honored.  

Internet sales are random free for alls, and as far as I know, there was no line/order (if I'm mistaken about this, please correct me).  It's literally whoever gets lucky enough to find a slot in the traffic to get through the server, like movie ticket sales for blockbusters.  It really makes no sense to get upset by using a rule that isn't even the rule to begin with. 

@project86's analogy was correct.  Indeed, it is like the Black Friday hoards of crowds who gather in front of a store just before opening and hope to grab something before someone else in a random act of chance.  If someone snags the TV you want, it's not unfair, it's just a random act of chance in a situation that was never in your control to begin with.  You can't "camp out in line" on the internet.  

As a side note, a company like MD seems to be very much like Mondo, the alternative movie poster company that creates limited runs of artist rendered posters for popular genre movies.  They will put something on sale and the lucky few who snag one in a server free for all are just lucky, and the ones who don't are unlucky.  And then some of the lucky turn around and sell it on ebay for ridiculous sums.  Mondo thrives on this kind of chaos because it makes their brand scarce and scarce items are valuable, creating hype you cannot get with readily available items...it's not really in their best interest to make more product available because then they're just another poster company, and no longer special.  Just a theory anyway.  I'm not sure if this is intentional, but it's certainly not hurting their brand.

Nov 10, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #1,031 of 4,141
No, his analogy is not correct.  Someone who misses out on a Black Friday deal because they weren't in line early enough could have done more, they could have shown up earlier.  People who were waiting at 9AM for this drop then tried to buy them for several hours could have done nothing more; they were screwed over by random chance.  It's even worse when you consider someone coming in after 9AM and managing to get lucky and get one, which would then be akin to my analogy.  People wouldn't be complaining if the servers were fine and they were just too slow to click through the pages to order one, which is the internet version of getting in line.  That was the standard people expected, a race rather than a lottery.

Nov 10, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #1,032 of 4,141
A lot has been said about MD and the recent HD6XX fluff...

Let's put it this way. It's a business model, not a BIG corporation selling wares.

If there's profit for MD and Sennheiser selling 5K units of HD6XXs, what makes you think there won't be another 5K units round the corner? and another 5K after that?

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #1,033 of 4,141
  If there's profit for MD and Sennheiser selling 5K units of HD6XXs, what makes you think there won't be another 5K units round the corner? and another 5K after that?

There are all sorts of delicate business matters that may prevent Sennheiser from making more HD6XX drops. Like for example:
1. Official Sennheiser dealers, middlemen and importers complaining about losing their sells.
2. Sennheiser itself may fear that flooding the market with cheap HD6XX will cannibalize sells of their other models.
3. Sennheiser's customers unhappy that their HD650 are loosing resell value.

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #1,034 of 4,141
  No, his analogy is not correct.  Someone who misses out on a Black Friday deal because they weren't in line early enough could have done more, they could have shown up earlier.  People who were waiting at 9AM for this drop then tried to buy them for several hours could have done nothing more; they were screwed over by random chance.  It's even worse when you consider someone coming in after 9AM and managing to get lucky and get one, which would then be akin to my analogy.  People wouldn't be complaining if the servers were fine and they were just too slow to click through the pages to order one, which is the internet version of getting in line.  That was the standard people expected, a race rather than a lottery.

It is literally people pushing a button randomly in order to buy something.  Whether you were on the website hours earlier or not doesn't seem to matter in terms of server traffic, as there is no order to who is waiting to buy that can be tracked or tallied.  Also, I am not sure how one can even know they were "in front of" other people since everyone is in a physically separate location...this is why the "waiting in line" analogy does not work, since you cannot see who is in front of or behind you.  Even if people were able to access the site a the same time, no one can know who got there first, so who is to say "I deserve it and they didn't'?  It is random chance.  And the scarcity of the items assures that many people will be disappointed.  if one can accept those realities, they should be able to weather the upset.

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #1,035 of 4,141
I missed out. I was over it 5 minutes later. If they do it again I'll try again. There's over 17,000 requests for another run so chances probably aren't favorable but hey it's kind of like eBay.i like ebay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back