Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 5, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #317 of 4,141
I wouldn't call them flat. Maybe with a high end amp, but through all the gear I tested with them, I felt the treble response was lacking. I imagine it appears with the right gear. I settled on the hd600's because I am a drummer and wanted to hear the cymbal clearly when listening to jazz: It wasn't present enough with the 650's. However the sound of the 650's are pretty magical and addictive. Just couldn't justify keeping both. It's an age old conversation. Hd650 vs 600. Depends on what you want to hear/feel. I like more detail (and bass) so I have hd600's with a cardas cable. Very happy with the results. Although I feel the 650's are not so accurate, they sure made me feel good when I listened to them. They seem to tap into the intangibility factor of all this for sure. Now they are cheap enough to try both!

Hd600 more bass than 650?!?

Nov 5, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #318 of 4,141
I own the HD600, and its capacity increases tremendously on better and better DACs and Amps. If the 650 is anything like it, I expect it'll scale well on TOTL gear.

This. 

HD6XX fits right in with this little $7k rig I threw together.

Nov 5, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #320 of 4,141
It's not a $200 pair of headphones, it's a $400 pair you are getting for $200. And as Jude said in his preview, he felt it was under-priced even at $500.

The pricing of things is chaos and often unfathomable. Items tend to go for the price they'll sell at, nothing more. It's not a good metric for discerning quality. Personal experience and consulting the experience of unbiased third-parties will lead you on a straighter path.

I own the HD600, and its capacity increases tremendously on better and better DACs and Amps. If the 650 is anything like it, I expect it'll scale well on TOTL gear.

Right but the poster had asked for a reasonably priced DAC to pair with it. If you've got $13k to spend on an Amp/DAC then I doubt you are too worried about saving a hundred or so bucks on the headphone. But whatever, I just think it's a silly recommendation, if you've got that much to drop on the Amp/DAC then you might as well get a TOTL headphone like a Focal Utopia not a value phone like the HD650. 

Nov 5, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #324 of 4,141
Nov 5, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #325 of 4,141
It's not a $200 pair of headphones, it's a $400 pair you are getting for $200. And as Jude said in his preview, he felt it was under-priced even at $500.

The pricing of things is chaos and often unfathomable. Items tend to go for the price they'll sell at, nothing more. It's not a good metric for discerning quality. Personal experience and consulting the experience of unbiased third-parties will lead you on a straighter path.

By what standards is it underpriced? It is not underpriced at all. The hd650 is going for $340, not $400. Also if you want to use your logic in that manner, I can say that akg is offering a $500 headphone for only $200 (k7xx) which is an even greater bargain since the k712 used to go for $500.....

Nov 5, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #328 of 4,141
By what standards is it underpriced? It is not underpriced at all. The hd650 is going for $340, not $400. Also if you want to use your logic in that manner, I can say that akg is offering a $500 headphone for only $200 (k7xx) which is an even greater bargain since the k712 used to go for $500.....

You're not making any sense. If you want an AKG, buy one. Who's stopping you?

Nov 5, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #330 of 4,141
You're not making any sense. If you want an AKG, buy one. Who's stopping you?

I made an analogy using your same reasoning on why the hd6xx was underpriced. Sure you can believe the headphone is underpriced, but your reasoning behind it can be applied to any other headphone. I never implied I want to buy a k7xx nor had anyone preventing me from doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back