sennheiser warrenty?
Feb 10, 2005 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

UserNotFound

100+ Head-Fier
Well, i got a pair of HD280's for christmas (new from ebay), and have burned them in for over 400 hours, and love the sound, but was craving a little more, so i built an amp. The amp works great, and i was sure to test it on $20 sony headphones first. My problem is i was listening to an albulm with my mp3 player > amp >HD280's, and when it was over, it switched to another albulm, which for some reason had a MUCH louder signal, and it was so loud/bad sounding i instantly took the phones off and then unplugged them. Now, there is a slight buzz in the left driver on songs with constant low basslines with additional bass impact (specifically Massive Attack, but noticable in anything, even by my girlfrind who is NOT an audiophile).

My instinct with anything else i have bought that goes bad is to buy a new one at best buy, and then return the old one with the new receipt. I dont suppose Sennheiser doesn't require a receipt for service to verify authorized dealers... so what should I do?

Feb 10, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by UserNotFound
Well, i got a pair of HD280's for christmas (new from ebay), and have burned them in for over 400 hours, and love the sound, but was craving a little more, so i built an amp. The amp works great, and i was sure to test it on $20 sony headphones first. My problem is i was listening to an albulm with my mp3 player > amp >HD280's, and when it was over, it switched to another albulm, which for some reason had a MUCH louder signal, and it was so loud/bad sounding i instantly took the phones off and then unplugged them. Now, there is a slight buzz in the left driver on songs with constant low basslines with additional bass impact (specifically Massive Attack, but noticable in anything, even by my girlfrind who is NOT an audiophile).

My instinct with anything else i have bought that goes bad is to buy a new one at best buy, and then return the old one with the new receipt. I dont suppose Sennheiser doesn't require a receipt for service to verify authorized dealers... so what should I do?

Just send 'em in - to loose,you have nothing
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
Just send 'em in - to loose,you have nothing
biggrin.gif

Only shipping charges? They don't do an inspection charge or anything? I couldn't tell if they meant only if they fix it :

"Q: What is the repair cost?

A: Repair cost minimum is $35.00 to evaluate the unit. This cost is included in your repair if you decide to have the unit repaired. "

And yes, i tried without the amp, it's not the problem, it's not my source, and i reversed the signal, and it is the right driver, not the right channel of the signal.

Feb 10, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 14
I believe that is for products out of warrenty. If you bought a pair of HD650s for example, it's probably a lot more economical to have them repaired then to buy new ones. For HD280s however, it's probably cheaper to buy them again. However, you are under warrenty. It's usually cheaper for a company to just trash the ones you send in and send you a new pair than it is to actually hire someone to inspect them to see if they should be replaced or not.

Feb 10, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Only shipping charges? They don't do an inspection charge or anything? I couldn't tell if they meant only if they fix it :

"Q: What is the repair cost?

A: Repair cost minimum is $35.00 to evaluate the unit. This cost is included in your repair if you decide to have the unit repaired. "

And yes, i tried without the amp, it's not the problem, it's not my source, and i reversed the signal, and it is the right driver, not the right channel of the signal.

I think that reffers to 'out of warranty'...

Feb 10, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
I believe that is for products out of warrenty. If you bought a pair of HD650s for example, it's probably a lot more economical to have them repaired then to buy new ones. For HD280s however, it's probably cheaper to buy them again. However, you are under warrenty. It's usually cheaper for a company to just trash the ones you send in and send you a new pair than it is to actually hire someone to inspect them to see if they should be replaced or not.

I do not have a "real" receipt as they were purchased on ebay, does that matter? I've emailed their service department, i'm just really distraught, as i have to use e2c's for my daily listening until my sr225's arrive saturday(hopefully), and it's no fun listening to a can that you KNOW has something wrong with it, no matter how minute
frown.gif

Feb 10, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

My instinct with anything else i have bought that goes bad is to buy a new one at best buy, and then return the old one with the new receipt.

You blew it up. Why don't you take responsibility and pay for your mistake? You're making the rest of us pay extra just because people like you do the exact same thing and return products such as yours.

Where the **** have all the honest people gone...

Feb 10, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kestrel
You blew it up. Why don't you take responsibility and pay for your mistake? You're making the rest of us pay extra just because people like you do the exact same thing and return products such as yours.

Where the **** have all the honest people gone...

Thus asking about the legit warrenty policy.

Feb 10, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #10 of 14
they replied that a printout of the ebay or paypal transaction that prooves the purchase would work. thanks for the input, guys. I usually buy my stuff from authorized retailers, but as a gift i can't be picky. I know my Polk's have 5 year warrenties on the cones, and replacement of a tweeter only took 5 days. Hopefully Sennheiser lives up to their reputable name
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #11 of 14
A Paypal receipt is useless, only if the seller is an authorized seller (with an actual shop that sells these gears etc) would any receipt of this sort be accepted, the phones would also have to be sold brand new.

Edit: ahh, authorized seller, shouldn't be any problems then.
580smile.gif

Feb 10, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidelity
A Paypal receipt is useless, only if the seller is an authorized seller (with an actual shop that sells these gears etc) would any receipt of this sort be accepted, the phones would also have to be sold brand new.

Edit: ahh, authorized seller, shouldn't be any problems then.
580smile.gif

Word.

Feb 10, 2005 at 7:49 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Thus asking about the legit warrenty policy.

Still imo that's not an ethical thing to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidelity
Come again?
confused.gif

More or less meaning 'yes, you're right'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back