Sennheiser Upgrade Cable Poll...Vote Now
Jan 23, 2007 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

oak3x

500+ Head-Fier
With many forum members owning a pair of Sennheiser Headphones, one of the more popular upgrades is to replace the stock cable. So, with this notion I have initiated the following poll.

Please share your experiences!

If I missed any popular cable upgrades, please comment!

Jan 23, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #2 of 13
I voted for other.

I upgraded to Revelation Audio Labs Paradise silver headphone cable and heard an improvement.

Jan 23, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 13
which cable? the moon audio black dragon, silver dragon or blue dragon?

Jan 23, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 13
I noticed slight sonic differences with all the Cardas cables I tried with my HD580.

The HD650 cable though clearly was the bang for the buck winner. I found the added bass impact a slight but noticeable difference over the stock cable.

For my listening tastes, preferences, source/amp and budget the $15 650 cable was my final answer. if nothing else the added robustness and enhanced feel of the cable make it a must have addition to the 580.

Jan 23, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 13
I miss the Grace Five Two (GF2) by member RnB180. I do not know how many he made before discovering that is was not commercially viable. A fine HD650 cable with a special touch, IMHO.

Enigma Audio(member grandenigma1) also made one with his gold-alloy formula in a limited serie. The buyers seemed very positive. I wish I got one.
frown.gif

Jan 23, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 13
I will give the Silver Dragon and the Mobius as the best cable for the HD-650. The HD600 responses best with the Equinox cable. The Zu Mobius is not well suited with the HD-600.

Jan 23, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 13
Funny this idea of a poll has not been thought of before, AFAIK. Apparently it took fresh eyes to see the need.
smily_headphones1.gif

Splendid idea! However, I would have prefered a headphone-defined poll, i.e aftermarket cables for the HD650, HD600 or the HD580 seperately since they, apparently, have different sonic signatures.

I, for one, do not like the Cardas with the HD650 at all.
plainface.gif
But there are numerous HD600 users that find it the best there is for that particular Senn model.

Jan 23, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 13
Who sells the Clou cable? Also, I went to the Clou Web site, but did not see any headphone cables. Is the Clou still a stiff cable?...Wes Phillips commented that it is very stiff.

Jan 23, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 13
The Cardas cable took some time to break in. For the first week, I thought it was a terrible mistake. Midbass hump, everything else just odd. Then I let it run in a bit and day by day, it started cleaning up. No, it wasn't a placebo because I really hated what it did! I lost track of the hours it took, but I dropped the stock cable back on for a bit, but I really can't go back after having the Cardas.

Jan 23, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will give the Silver Dragon and the Mobius as the best cable for the HD-650. The HD600 responses best with the Equinox cable. The Zu Mobius is not well suited with the HD-600.

I generally concur... the Zu Mobius, and Senn v2 Black Silver (or Moon Audio Silver Dragon) tranform the HD650's - making them sound much brighter, clearer, and more detailed. The Zu may add a bit more bass and tone body, which the HD650's do not need, than the Senn v2 Black Silver (or Moon Audio Silver Dragon). I think I prefer the pure solid silver cables to the Zu, for this reason - but they're both great.

The Senn v2 Black Silver (or Moon Audio Silver Dragon) also sounds great with the HD600's, but, they may actually benefit from the slightly warmer / weightier sound of the Cardas - although it's a close call.

I assume the RAL silver cable would sound similar to the Senn v2 and Silver Dragon cables with the HD650 - which is great!

Jan 24, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #12 of 13
Having just purchased the Sennheiser HD600, I was set on the Equinox Cable Upgrade. Now as I keep reading, the Silver Dragon looks to be in consideration.

Curious...for the Equinox and Silver Dragon:

A. What length cable do most people get?
B. What kind of price did you pay?

I am trying to find a retailer with the best price (as compared to purchasing used)

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #13 of 13
I still have the stock cable, and I have no inclination to change it, ever. I had a chance to A/B my own 650 and another 650 with a Silver Dragon cable, and there was zero difference. Not even a small change. Not even a one percent change. Not that I would want to change my HD650 in the first place. I am completely satisfied with the way it sounds and have no desire to alter the frequency response. For me, buying a new cable would be a supreme waste of money, money that could have been saved and used for other, more important things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back