Sennheiser suggestions for gaming/movies
Dec 27, 2012 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bart69rich

New Head-Fier
Im looking for headphones mainly for computer gaming and watching movies.  My friend, who is a bigger audiophile, suggested Sennheiser.  I have a few specific questions:

I was considering these setups:

1. PC350(or special edition) with astro mixamp

2. PC363 which comes with 7.1 audio(USB)

The obvious difference is 1.closed cans  2. open cans

OK QUESTIONS::::

A.  What's the main difference between open and closed cans.....It can get noisy if Im traveling but not so much at home...do I need closed cans for better blocking of background noises or do Open cans have a superior sound?

B.  What's the difference between the 7.1 audio device that comes with PC363 compared to the astro mixamp.

C.  Do i need a soundcard? external amp?  (currently have gigabyte z68a-d3h-b3 with 7.1 onboard audio)

This is mainly for the PC....but I do game on the PS3 and would like to use with that also if possible.

I want to thank you in advance for any suggestions!!   Please comment on this with opinions, suggestions, guesses(lol) 
THANK YOU

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 8
Just go with PC350(or special edition) with astro mixamp. The mixamp can be used on both platforms.

Closed cans provide isolation and a little more bass. i use open cans because I wanted a certain headphone (hd598). I think closed is better though.

The mixamp is all you need. No other equipment other than the headphones will be necessary.

Any other questions we're always here.

Dec 31, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Malveaux.....around $500. But im flexible. Im an avid movie...bluray watcher and gamer. I really would like the best quality for the dollar in the total package....

Some suggestions:

Closed:

Mr Speaker Mad Dogs
Beyer DT770
Beyer Custom One Pro
Ultrasone PRO 750
AudioTechnica A900X

Open:

Beyer DT880
Beyer DT990
Hifiman HE-300
Hifiman HE-400
Ultrasone HFI 2400

Mic:

AntLion ModMic

For your a computer, you could use soundcards, like the Xonar STX or the Titanium Xi-Fi HD. Or you could get the mixamp for everything. A simple good amp that can be used with nearly anything would be the Fiio E9 or a Schiit Magni or a JDS Labs O2.

Very best,

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
I'm looking for headphones mainly for computer gaming and watching movies.  My friend, who is a bigger audiophile, suggested Sennheiser.  I have a few specific questions:
I was considering these setups:
1. PC350(or special edition) with astro mixamp
2. PC363 which comes with 7.1 audio(USB)
The obvious difference is 1.closed cans  2. open cans
OK QUESTIONS::::
A.  What's the main difference between open and closed cans.....It can get noisy if Im traveling but not so much at home...do I need closed cans for better blocking of background noises or do Open cans have a superior sound?
B.  What's the difference between the 7.1 audio device that comes with PC363 compared to the astro mixamp.
C.  Do I need a sound card? external amp?  (currently have gigabyte z68a-d3h-b3 with 7.1 on-board audio)
This is mainly for the PC....but I do game on the PS3 and would like to use with that also if possible.
I want to thank you in advance for any suggestions!!   Please comment on this with opinions, suggestions, guesses(lol) 
THANK YOU

A used Yamaha receiver would cover everything, run HDMI from the PS3 and the HDMI input from your graphics card, into the receiver.
Then using HDMI from the receiver to your monitor/tv.
Plug headphones into receivers headphone jack.
You would not need to add a separate sound card to the PC
Receivers usually come with the latest audio features, both Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD Master Audio.
I believe DTS is the default audio standard used on PS3s, (I believe Astro Mix-Amp. is Dolby only)
DTS-HD Master Audio seems to be the preferred audio standard used on Blu-ray movie disks.
I like the Yamaha receivers because they usually come with built in Headphone surround sound.
Down the line you can always add speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back