Sennheiser service
Apr 17, 2008 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Zorander

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

The left side of my HD-650 seems to sound slightly softer than the other side. I tried switching cables and it made no difference so the problem likely lies with the driver itself. Has anyone experience with the local Sennheiser centre (in Sydney or anywhere else in Australia) for issues like this?

Cheers and TiA!

Apr 17, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 14
Hiow old/new are yours? Mine were doing the same thing, but I've been breaking them in, and it's less apparent now (about 20-30 hours of burn-in). Also, they are very high impedance, which might be part of the problem. If they aren't amplified properly, they will sound crappy. If you're playing from a portable mp3 or cd player, that's not gonna cut it. Mine sound fine when amped through my AirHead portable, or any other headphone amp I've tried. They even sound bad on the headphone jack on my source.

Apr 17, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 14
He is using OBH-21.

Zorander, did you check with other headphones to see if one of your system is causing the problem?

Apr 17, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hiow old/new are yours? Mine were doing the same thing, but I've been breaking them in, and it's less apparent now (about 20-30 hours of burn-in). Also, they are very high impedance, which might be part of the problem. If they aren't amplified properly, they will sound crappy. If you're playing from a portable mp3 or cd player, that's not gonna cut it. Mine sound fine when amped through my AirHead portable, or any other headphone amp I've tried. They even sound bad on the headphone jack on my source.

Looking at his sig, I don't think using an amp is an issue here..

EDIT: Ya, wnmnkh above..

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 14
D'oh! Didn't see that...yeah, the OBH-21 is plenty of juice, so I take that part back. Still curious about the newness of the headphones, though, since I'm experiencing something similar.

EDIT: I emailed Sennheiser, asking if this is something others have reported or if they are aware of a bad batch of them...I'll post the reply when I get one.

Apr 17, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 14
did you try to open them? a few weeks ago there was also a thread like this here.

it ended up being the drive lose in the interior!...

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 14
I'm not getting the same symptoms with any other headphones, not even the HD-600 after swapping around with cables. The HD-650 is nearly 3 years old, with regular use on my head throughout. Plenty of time for burn-in. Please note that I have only noticed this issue recently; it had no such symptoms previously. I hope the issue is as simple as ricmat suggested, though I am prepared to also send it to Syntec (thanks, TheDeliveryMan!) if need be.

It's also intriguing to see how people fail to notice that I have a Graham Slee Solo amp as well (which also happens to be my main amp).
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!

Apr 19, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 14
any news??

Apr 19, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #11 of 14
SMH at people who just throwning "generic" suggestions and not trying to understand that a man has a specific problem which clearly not the result of underamplification or cable-issue.

Apr 21, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricmat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any news??

Removed the pads and grills but I saw nothing with screws that I can tighten (with the exception of the screws provided by Headphile for the woodies
rolleyes.gif
). Anyway, I gave the cans a bit of shaking in the simple hope of achieving something and proceeded to test the cans. The imbalance is still there but so very slight now it is bordering on placebo. I can put on the cans the first time and my left ear soon adjusts. Obviously when I immediately put the cans in reverse the imbalance stands out a bit but not bleeding obvious.

I gave Syntec a call and they simply told me to mail in the phones. I am skeptical of sending in the phones just like that without an RMA number issued. I'm going to wait until I can get a day off work to drive down to Chatswood (where they are located, 20 min drive from where I am) and have them look at it on the spot. I hope they will use instruments to detect the channel matching of the drivers instead of their ears (in which case they would most likely tell me to go home, charge me the quoted $50 for service fee and shake their head once I'm gone).

I fear this thing will bleed my wallet dry...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back