Sennheiser Revisited
Jan 8, 2007 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

R300

Head-Fier
I've just got back into headphone listening after a long hiatus, but have found my once beloved Senn 580 Jubilees slightly lacking. However, I have yet to find a set of phones that quite 'does it' for me.

Any suggestions on what I should try? Basically I want something with a bit more punch and better timing. I'm willing to spend at most GBP£250.

BTW, I'm using a Ben Duncan Phones 01 amp.

Also, no offence intended to RS-2 owners (see below) - just my personal taste.

What I have listened to:

My Senn 580J: I like the perceived flat response, soundstage and detail. I don't like the lack of bass extension or timing.

Grado RS-2: It has the timing and 'oomph' I like, but the mid bass seemed boosted and I found them tiring to listen too.

What I like the look of, but have been unable to try:

Audio Technica ATH-W1000: They look very nice in photos, and closed backs would be a bonus.

Senn 650: Does the extra money buy me more precise timing?

Grado SR-325: I'm attracted to the proposition of that superb Grado timing, but without the lumpy bass response.

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 4
What's your source? I find a headphone's "timing" can really be effected by that. But if you want more bass then the 580, then it does sound like you should try the HD650. On a system that synergizes well with it, it can have the same speed and detail as a Grado.....yet have really good bass and soundstage. If you're finding the 580 lacking in bass on your rig, that's another indication that you'll probably find Grado lacking in bass as well.

Jan 8, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 4
Best bass timing I've crossed so far was the A900 (which also had lot of extension) and the Alessandro MS1 (not so much extension). Worst bass timing I know is my stock "chochlea" DT770...
wink.gif
so keep away from the latter, although it has lots of fans here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back