Sennheiser Replacement Element Drivers (HD580/600) in the HD650
Oct 17, 2006 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Organizer for Can Jam '09
I’ve been thinking about purchasing the HD600s to compare against my HD650s and hear which one my ear prefers and works best in my set-up.

Yet today I found that some have swapped replacement element drivers. I am thinking about popping out the HD650 drivers and popping in the HD580/600 driver.

Has anyone done this? I assume it isn’t difficult, but any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

Oct 17, 2006 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
I’ve been thinking about purchasing the HD600s to compare against my HD650s and hear which one my ear prefers and works best in my set-up.

Yet today I found that some have swapped replacement element drivers. I am thinking about popping out the HD650 drivers and popping in the HD580/600 driver.

Has anyone done this? I assume it isn’t difficult, but any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

Haven't done it yet... but, have considered it and researched it... and may do it yet - although my HD650's now with the Zu cable and "deveiled" are finally "opening up" and "speeding up" to become faster, brighter and clearer, much like the HD600's... almost to the point of not having to swap the drivers.

Anyway... I checked with Sennheiser and they confirmed that it's simple to swap the "element drivers" - they apparently just "pop" in and out, just as you suggested, with no problems if you're careful and don't force anything. I also ran across a series of pictures showing (somewhat) how to do it (although these pictures are directed at how to actually remove and replace the drivers themselves, not the entire driver & housing unit (whole element driver). The only difference is the element drivers that they offer have flat black paint, rather than they gloss/satin black paint on the flanges.

But... now that I've got the right cable, and the HD650's are a lot more burnt in... I'm thinking that swap may be unnecessary... because they're sounding a whole lot more like my HD600's, but with a bit more bass, and slightly warmer / weightier lower mids (though tight, detailed, clear and well defined and not overpowering the rest of the frequencies so much).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back