Sennheiser PXC450 & DAP without amp?
Jan 28, 2008 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

selfdivider

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys. I have a set of Sennheiser PXC450 on the way, thinking that I could perhaps use it with a DAP. The thing is, I really don't want to set it up with a portable amp. Can PXC450 work with any DAP w/o external amping? I'd appreciate a quick reply from someone (anyone!) as I'm going to return the suckers if I can't use the cans w/ amp-less DAP. Thanks.

Jun 2, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdivider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys. I have a set of Sennheiser PXC450 on the way, thinking that I could perhaps use it with a DAP. The thing is, I really don't want to set it up with a portable amp. Can PXC450 work with any DAP w/o external amping? I'd appreciate a quick reply from someone (anyone!) as I'm going to return the suckers if I can't use the cans w/ amp-less DAP. Thanks.

This may be a late response to Selfdiver.. but here goes. The Sennheiser PXC450s have input resistance of 150 with noise cancelling bypassed, and 750 ohms with noise cancelling engaged. While the 150 may be okay with DPAs, to fully appreciate the sound (especially with noise cancelling), I would recommend using a headphone amplifier. Practical Devices XM4 and XM5 pair well with the 450s. I bought the XM4 amp when dB gain of the Lyrix USB DAC Pro was not sufficient. Like other posts, I would recommend a line-out cable from your DPA to headphone amp to optimize sound quality. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back