Sennheiser PXC 550 Discussion and Reviews
Dec 20, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #181 of 206
I just thought I'd collect my thoughts and experience regarding low and anomalous volume when using the PXC 550's in both Bluetooth and wired (non-USB) mode. I believe Sennheiser has included an inordinate amount of signal processing which effectively limits the maximum output of these devices so that no matter how loud you turn up the volume, they are always within a pre-determined distortion range. I believe this strategy/features can be negated to some extent.

Here are my notes for defeating these 'features':
1) Using the CapTune application, introduce a custom EQ curve with all values maximized. - This will result in a straight line across the top of the EQ window. I believe that as opposed to 'boosting' all frequencies, this has the effect of 'reducing the limits' across all frequencies. It doesn't 'add'... it just 'subtracts less'. I personally find that with maximized EQ, I get excellent volume and bass response where I hadn't previously; and without any negative impact on the overall balance and sound profile of the headphone.

2) When attempting to use these in a 'wired' configuration with analog audio input (not the USB cable) it is important to note that the PXC 550 circuitry is 'Active' as long as the battery has charge. You can disable Bluetooth and Noise Cancellation but the limiting circuits (described below) are still ON as long as the unit has charge. Also note that when 'Active', these have a relatively high impedance of 490 Ohms, requiring a beefy headphone amplifier.

3) When 'Active', the PXC 550's use an IFE/PA volume protection strategy which is designed to limit maximum volume when operating in a wired (non-USB). This circuitry constantly reduces volume below some magic threshold but, importantly, NEVER raises/restores it again. It isn't until you've reset the headphones (by removing them and twist-clicking them off and then on again) that maximum volume is restored. The intent of this feature is to keep flight attendant PA announcements from blowing out your eardrums while listening to the In Flight Entertainment. But the implementation is poor; resulting in ever-reduced volume over time as loud passages continue to trigger the limiter.

And... The only way to run these headphones in 'Passive' mode is to fully discharge the battery! (What, Sennheiser?!?) This property is described in the user manual (page 39 in the English version) under the subheading 'Using the Audio Cable'.

So in short:
* Maximizing the EQ can help achieve more volume without negatively affecting the characteristic of the sound when operating in Bluetooth or USB modes
* If using these with a wired headphone amplifier (analog, non-USB), run the battery down first so they run 'Passively' and present a 10x reduced load (46 ohms) on the amplifier and the IFE/PA limit circuitry is defeated

Enjoy the music!

May 9, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #183 of 206
I tried that but couldn't hear a difference when connected tbh, will mess around a bit more. Thanks!

That prompt is annoying. When I'm charging mine I run them through USB connected to my laptop. To make the prompt go away (while they are plugged it to usb) I turn them off by rotating the earpads, and hold the mode switch button for 4 seconds to reset them, then I turn them back on and the thing stops bothering me while charging.

Thanks for this! The reset seems to have fixed my charging as well as my volume issues!

May 9, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #184 of 206
Hi guys!

I am rocking the PXC 550s and I am pretty pleased with them overall.

One strange issue that I've been experiencing is that whenever I am using them in a conference call, after about 20 mins or so, I lose the connection or something. I can't hear anything, my mic is not picking up anything and in order to fix it I have to power off them and power on again, which is always a hustle.
I am using the headphones with a Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) and I remember the issue reproducing on a newer Macbook Pro 2017, I believe.

Is anyone else experiencing these kind of issues? Any suggestions for a fix or what can I look after?

May 9, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #185 of 206
Hi guys!

One strange issue that I've been experiencing is that whenever I am using them in a conference call, after about 20 mins or so, I lose the connection or something. I can't hear anything, my mic is not picking up anything and in order to fix it I have to power off them and power on again, which is always a hustle.
I am using the headphones with a Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) and I remember the issue reproducing on a newer Macbook Pro 2017, I believe.

Is anyone else experiencing these kind of issues? Any suggestions for a fix or what can I look after?

I'm using a dell laptop and have been in a zoom chat for over an hour and it wasn't a problem. Hopefully someone who uses a mac can chime in. I've used it over an hour on my iphone too and it's fine.

May 9, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #186 of 206
There may be some kind of 'keep alive' signal alert that is not being sent by the Mac / received by the headphones. I've never used these for 20 minutes at a time for a conversation. Have you tried using it with a pc and achieved the same result?

May 9, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #188 of 206
Hi guys!

I had that issue too on a Mac. What fixed it for me is that when I'm doing a conference call I move the noise canceling switch to adaptive (middle position). For some reason when it's at 100% the audio would just stop. When it's in the middle position you only hear the 'call ended' prompt but then everything works fine.

May 10, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #189 of 206
I had that issue too on a Mac. What fixed it for me is that when I'm doing a conference call I move the noise canceling switch to adaptive (middle position). For some reason when it's at 100% the audio would just stop. When it's in the middle position you only hear the 'call ended' prompt but then everything works fine.

Dude, that's awesome! Thanks a lot for sharing this, it seems to be working!

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #190 of 206
I have had a similar issue that they only charge to 70%, been like this since new (on android or apple). The 5th light never stops flashing. Is this a glitch or is this an actual issue i need get them swapped over. I have tried different chargers and cables

Did you ever find a solution for the charging only to 70%?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #192 of 206
I got this headphone a month ago, very pleased. The sound is very clean and balanced. Better sounding that the other ANC headphones I owned/tried. The 1000XM3 are very bommy/muddy/dark sounding (though the ANC and built quality is top notch). The AKG N60 wireless are ok, but the ANC is not that good and the over ear design makes them uncomfortable after a while. The JBL 750NC sounded pretty bad with ANC on. The only other pair that sounded good and has better ANC are the QC35.

I got them new on Amazon for 200 USD, very pleased. The sound did changes a bit with ANC on, the Sony and AKH does not, and from memory neither the Bose.

Overall I can recommend the Sennheiser over the others ,except maybe the Bose. I want to try the Sony WH900h.

Aug 31, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #193 of 206
I just purchased a pair of these headphones. After a disappointing experience with the Sony WH1000-XM3 I decided to try the Sennheiser PXC 550. Sound quality is much better and the noise cancelling is acceptable although not a good as the Sonys.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone here had the opportunity to compare them with the Beyerdynamic Lagoon? They were also on my list to try as well but they are only available to me on Amazon.

2. Has anyone heard anything about a new model of the PXC 550 for this fall. I saw a brief mention of this elsewhere and would would be interested in what's planned.

Thank you.

Oct 19, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #194 of 206
These are quite heavily discounted now (I guess due to the new model coming soon). I just got a pair for almost half the original RRP as I’m flying to England from Aus soon and also I injured my ear recently so it’s painful to insert IEMs at the moment.

I really like them. Comfort-wise they’re perfect for a small-eared pinhead like myself. Soundwise they’re not quite as pleasing as my Xelentos, they’re a lot ‘thicker’, but I much prefer them to the Sony XM3000s. Noise cancellation is decent, even passively. The battery seems quite robust although I doubt they’ll last the 17,000 kms from Melbourne to Manchester! Does anyone know if you can listen while charging? Probably not I suppose.

Edit: just tried them with my ZX300 and that thickness of sound is much reduced. Guess I prefer LDAC to AAC

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #195 of 206
anyone know if you can listen while charging? Probably not I suppose.

If you're charging them via PC, you can enable USB Audio.

Edit: just tried them with my ZX300 and that thickness of sound is much reduced. Guess I prefer LDAC to

The PXC 550 supports SBC and Aptx.

The PXC 550 ii supports SBC, Aptx, Aptx-LL and AAC

No Aptx-HD or LDAC support for either of them.

If you choose LDAC on the ZX300, the headphones will establish connection via SBC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back