Sennheiser PXC 550 Discussion and Reviews
Dec 1, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #31 of 206
Received the 550s today. Before deciding on these, I tried the QC35s vs Sony MDR-1000Xs, I preferred the Sony's. Then went on for an A/B Senns vs Sonys. The ANC was a tad better on the Sony's but I enjoyed the Senn sound better. I guess sound signature is more important to me ☺️. I have been using my JH13 Pros when commuting and for listening but now I may be selling these. Don't know when to use these anymore, I have Jays q-jays which are good enough and I will keep them. The Senns are so far great and will test these with the dacs I have, HRT Microstreamer and ifi micro iDSD. I think one obvious upgrade is getting a custom cable. I have forza audioworks cables which I like a lot. One question : are the earpads replaceable?

Dec 1, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #32 of 206
Received the 550s today. Before deciding on these, I tried the QC35s vs Sony MDR-1000Xs, I preferred the Sony's. Then went on for an A/B Senns vs Sonys. The ANC was a tad better on the Sony's but I enjoyed the Senn sound better. I guess sound signature is more important to me ☺️. I have been using my JH13 Pros when commuting and for listening but now I may be selling these. Don't know when to use these anymore, I have Jays q-jays which are good enough and I will keep them. The Senns are so far great and will test these with the dacs I have, HRT Microstreamer and ifi micro iDSD. I think one obvious upgrade is getting a custom cable. I have forza audioworks cables which I like a lot. One question : are the earpads replaceable?
according to the manual the ear pads are replaceable you just have to contact Sennheiser.

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #33 of 206
Like quite a few of us I'm debating the Sony vs. Sennheiser route.....I have the Bose QC15 & 25 but am not impressed with the audio quality so I'm looking for a change. I cannot, however, see myself dropping the reddies for the Sony's with the sqeaky squeaky issue. I understand Dumbo would hate the PXC550 cause his ears are too big.

Has anyone returned the 550s because they were too tight over the ears?     ......c'mon Dumbo, fess up.

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #34 of 206
Honestly my initial reaction was that they were a bit to snug but within a day or so I started to find they were more comfortable and today even though the 100ABN has a more roomy (around the ear) size I greatly prefer the PXC550. Now having said all that the 1000X is supposed to be more comfortable than the 100ABN so I can't honestly compare because I have not been able to try the 1000X yet. But the PXC550 is way better built in regards to moving parts than the 100ABN and I do know the 1000X is modeled after the same basic design as the 100ABN so I am more comfortable saying the PXC550 will have much less potential for the creaking issues.

I haven't heard the QC25 in a while so I can't comment on ANC differences but I am finding the PXC550 great for all my daily commuting, walking around downtown, and in the office. I am not a heavy flight traveler so am not sure how well they handle plain engine noise but I suspect they would at least be adequate.

If you are in a warm to hot climate the PXC550 might get a bit hotter due to the smaller cups size and slimmed down profile. I live in Canada and they great in our winter climate and I have had no real heat issues when indoors at the office or at home.

Dec 2, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #35 of 206
Alright! Thank you dweaver.
I'm going to buy these sight unseen based on yours and the many other favourable comments I've read. There's just no way to find happiness with a squeaky headphone, no matter the sound or ANC capability. My ears have lots of room in the QC25 (can't wave them about or fly with 'em), so hopefully my judgement will play out to a happy arrangement.
Cheers,
PJ

Dec 2, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #36 of 206
I hope your ears are about my size, if so you will be fine. Sound quality wise these will be a step for you I am sure. Please post your impressions, they will help others decide on what they want too plus too :).

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #37 of 206
I hope your ears are about my size, if so you will be fine. Sound quality wise these will be a step for you I am sure. Please post your impressions, they will help others decide on what they want too plus too
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure they are, I am Canadian.

I'll feedback after using them for a while. Thank you for your excellent information.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #38 of 206
How do these compare to the V-moda crossfade wireless? Anyone with an analysis of v-moda's sound signature compared to sennheiser? I listened to the Sen Momentum's next to the wired V-modas and thought they were a bit "boring".

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #39 of 206
I have a pair M100 that my son is now using. Assuming  the M100 and the Crossfade wireless share the same signature the PXC 550 will not have as loud a bass response as the Vmoda but it is a bigger bass response than the Momentum so it will be somewhere in between. I love me my bass which is why I own the M100 along with a couple of Sony models known for bass (MDR-Z7 and XBA-Z5) and I find the 550 to still be satisfying. The midrange will be clearer than the VModa, the 550 has a bit if a peak in the treble giving the 550 a slight V shape signature which again will be not as strong as the Vmoda but similar.

You will be pleased to know that while the 550 is not quite as tank built as the Crossfade it is still well built and does not suffer any creaking points or at least the pair I have been using have not had that issue in the month and half I have been using them.

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #40 of 206
Can anyone report on using these headphones with the Loto PAW5000? I've heard this dap doesn't have the greatest BT implementation but have no facts to back that up. It would be great if someone has a Lotoo and can test the Bluetooth quality with these phones.......anyone?

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #41 of 206
Hi Guys,

I just noticed that my charging time from a dead battaery on the 550 was more around 4h (than 3 that they claim on the user manual)
Do you think it s normal ?

Thanks for your feedback

Dec 3, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #42 of 206
Charging time will depend on the source of the charger. Some chargers will have more juice than others same with USB ports on computers.

I have never tracked the time it takes since I usually charge mine ever 3 days or so at bedtime. But I charged it work the other day because it was saying to charge and I believe it took from 8:30 to around noon to fully charge so somewhere between 3-4 hours if my memory is correct.

Dec 3, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #43 of 206
Thanks for your feedback.
I am using a 2 amp charger wich i think is already above the input voltage.
Even with that i am clearly above 4 hours to a full charge vs 2 hours with the qc 35. I also remember that my momentum was charger faster (a real 3h)
If you guys get the chance to track your charging time it will help.

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #44 of 206
Aside charging time, i got problems of accuracy on my bluetooth battery icon on my iphone.
When charged at 100% (also at 100% on the captune app), my status icon shows only 70%. Any ideas to fix this ? Try to reset the headset but didn't solve the pb

Thanks

Dec 6, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #45 of 206
I have tried the Sennheiser's and ended up choosing the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless. I would be first to accept that the Sennheiser's are perhaps more accurate but they just didn't go loud enough and I absolutely love the 'fun" sound of the V-Moda's. In my opinion they are far better made as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back