Sennheiser PXC 450 vs. Momentum 3 Wireless?
Apr 14, 2020 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sandgren

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new here. Just want to ask you some questions /opinions on the following matters:

I have been using my Sennheiser PXC 450 for streaming music on my iPhone - so we're not talking about high-end audio here. But still, the PXC 450 set has a very natural, relaxed SQ that I like. Especially the bass is not dominant, but still very clear and defined - I love that. I have also been using the set on long distance flights, where it did a good job supressing noise from the flight.

Then I didn't use the set for a while. And sure enough, the battery had started leaking before I picked it up again. I did my best to clean the battery contacts, but the + terminal sits too deep in a very narrow space (it's an AAA battery), so I haven't been able to clean it in order to get the noise cancelling feature working again. I wonder if it's possible to take the set apart to see if I can do a better cleaing /fix - but I don't know how vulnerable it is, and I may end up breaking the set instead of fixing it. Luckily there is a normal /bypassing switch, so I'm able to use the set, but without the NC feature.
Recently, the earpads started falling apart. I know you can easily get replacement ones, but I began to think about replacing the set. Also I don't like the idea of a battery inside, for obvious reasons.

I'm a Sennheiser fan, so my eyes fell on the rather new Momentum 3 wireless. Then comes the question about SQ, compared to the PXC 450. As I understand it, newer headphones using BT offer very minimal difference in SQ compared to the wired sets. I also thought about that using BT, usage of the phone's DAC and audio output must be bypassed and taken over by the headset internal circuits. True? So, to me this sounds like a big advantage - given that the DAC and analogue audio parts in the headphones has better quality than what the phone delivers (I would expect that). And I must admit, it would be a pleasure to let go of the wire and change of batteries.

So, bottom line: would anyone know how the Momentum 3 wireless stands up to the PXC 450? Can I expect an even better SQ, or will it be about the same?

Thanks in advance!
Poul

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 2
Well, to anser my own question: I decided to buy the M3WL, and they are awesome. Sennheiser has a certain audio profile that I like and this one is no different. I'm aware now that the set is ready for BT 5, whereas my iPhone 6 is only 4.2 - but I'm looking to buy an iPhone 11 soon anyway. I doubt that it will make any difference in SQ (anyone?), maybe in BT reach and /or power consumption.
I got the new set in 'Sandy White'. Since they only had the black one in Denmark, I ordered directly from Sennheiser in Germany, but they were competitively priced anyway. I was told that first the sets in 'White' lost their colour, so they had to withdraw it and make the change to Sandy White - that's why they have been difficult to get. FW version on the new set is 3.1.6. Also, it seems I have no issue with one cup being loose on the slider, as someone mentioned earlier. In fact, there are no issues with the set. I have used them for a few hours, and they already seem to sound better now. Maybe it will take some more time before they finish to break in. Anyway, I'm happy with my purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back