Sennheiser px200 burn in question
Mar 3, 2005 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bashou

New Head-Fier
This being my first post, let me just thank everyone here for their informative posts. I've been reading this forum for a few months, and the information and opinions here have been very helpful.

I bought a pair of Sennheiser px200 headphones. I heard that they could have weak bass depending on fit, and unfortunately that's proven true. Otherwise I like them alot. They are very comfortable and produce a sharp, accurate sound in the mid and upper ranges. I'm not someone who loves a lot of bass. I prefer tight and accurate over big and boomy. But the px200's are too thin in the low's for me to really enjoy them.

Will burn in help the bass problem? Would I be better off with the px100's? Do they have the same problem? I have a pair of Koss KXTPro1's that I like, but I was looking for some isolation, which is why I chose the px200's over the px 100's. Did I make the wrong choice?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mar 3, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 15
In my experience, burn in does not help that much. at least, I don't think the bass will open up to the extent you want it to, but YMMV. I'd try moving it around on your ears. They are very fit/seal dependent, and if you don't have it in the right spot the bass will sound quite weak. if you can't get a good seal, i guess you are SOL and would be better off returning them. I would keep the KTXPro1's, its probably not worth it to get a ksc75/35/px100. Have you thought about canalphones for isolation? The shure e2 can be had for roughly $65.

Mar 3, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 15
Oh yeah, I'll definitely try a pair of canalphones. I was just trying to get a few pairs of less expensive headphones that I could use when I don't feel like putting the canalphones in my ears or when that much isolation isn't a good idea.

I tried moving the px200's around, pressing them closer to my ears, anything else I could think of, but I can't find any sweet spot. I will probably still use them when I can boost the bass a bit, or for spoken word stuff. I may even try cutting a hole in the foam on the pads. I'm still hoping burn in has some improvement.

Mar 3, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 15
Burn will definitely help with the px200's, it took mine about 24 hours of loud burn in before the bass sounded good to my ears, but they aren't bassy headphones. If you can't get a good seal you'll never get good bass out of them.

I wear mine sitting further back on my ears than one might expect if that helps.
One more thing, I get a good seal and I still EQ the mids down a little, maybe the bass is just being overpowered by the mids?

Mar 3, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 15
I knew I was taking a chance with the px200's as far as bass, but I figured it was worth it because I never really liked a big, bassy sound on most music. I'll just keep trying things and give it some time. Worst case is I'll have to EQ the sound a little.

Mar 3, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 15
I didn't get much with burn-in either with my PX200. But maybe the sound didn't suit me. I ended up not really using it. I don't even know where it is nowadays.

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 15
Have them for a month , haven't notice huge shift in sound after initial burn-in. I don't think they will improve much. Out of the box they sounded pretty close if you managed to seal them properly. I did not, so I spend couple of days fiddling. Now I can fit them more or less immediately and have plenty of bass. As you said ,I am not big fan of big bass music either so the bass 200's are pulling of is plenty for me. I have PX100 as well and they're not gonna give you any more bass but you will be able to get it straight away.
Give 200's more time and you might find them enjoyable as I do.
But then again I have very beautiful set of ears that fit 200's perfectly.

Mar 4, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 15
What's the cheapest price on a pair of PX200's nowadays?

Mar 4, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 15
The sound of PX200 is really good in my opinion. But as you say it lacks of bass. If you could get a copulation between PX100 and PX200 the children would be perfect. But perhaps it is not possible, I don't know.

Georg

Mar 5, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #10 of 15
I've been burning them in for two days now. I think the bass has improved slightly, but I could just be getting used to them. Overall, I do like the sound, so I'll keep playing around with them and EQing some extra bass when needed. They sound too good (given price and size) to just give up on them.

appar, I got them from amazon for about $47 with free shipping. There may be cheaper places but I was placing an order anyway.

Mar 12, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bashou
I've been burning them in for two days now. I think the bass has improved slightly, but I could just be getting used to them. Overall, I do like the sound, so I'll keep playing around with them and EQing some extra bass when needed. They sound too good (given price and size) to just give up on them.

I just placed an order of PX200. I can't wait to get it!! Well, I was looking more audiophile headphones but since I found a good price, I clicked order button without thinking...
eek.gif

Anyway, about an week since you posted above your PX200 burn-in, any changes?

jpmikey

Mar 13, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #12 of 15
In my experience, burn in does help a bit but getting a good fit helps even more. It took me a long time before I got a good fit with them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2005 at 8:26 AM Post #13 of 15
Mine needed some serious burn in before the bass showed up. They nearly went back for a refund but I gave them one last rather loud 8 hour burn in period (I had already put at least 50 hours on them) with the Dangerous Minds soundtrack. When I picked them back up again the bass had arrived!

Mar 13, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Mine needed some serious burn in before the bass showed up. They nearly went back for a refund but I gave them one last rather loud 8 hour burn in period (I had already put at least 50 hours on them) with the Dangerous Minds soundtrack. When I picked them back up again the bass had arrived!

I have the same experience, after more than 50 hours burn in, the sound does improve a little bit,, but I still think the bass is not good (I'm not a bass head, but still want a bit more solid and tight bass), then I took the risk of completely damage it and give it an overnight LOUD burn in using some rock music ( I crank up the volume to a level it almost hurt my ears).

today when I stopped the burn in and listen to the same music again, the bass improved a lot and tighten up. I'm happy now.

Mar 16, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmikey
I just placed an order of PX200. I can't wait to get it!! Well, I was looking more audiophile headphones but since I found a good price, I clicked order button without thinking...
eek.gif

Anyway, about an week since you posted above your PX200 burn-in, any changes?

jpmikey

They never really got the bass I wanted. I EQ them and they're good. I haven't tried to burn as loud as some here have suggested. I still might do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back