sennheiser px100 VS. grado sr60
Dec 11, 2006 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

scottymac

Head-Fier
I am looking to get a portable set of headphones, non IEM/earbud. I need something that is portable but yet still be able to hear outside sound, without it falling off all the time (stupid earbuds). I know I’ll use them during snowboarding this winter, so I’m going to be wearing a beanie over them. I listen to different kinds of music; from death metal to 90’s alt rock to droning ambient. These will be used with either my creative zen touch, or Ipod. Also, i will be using them unamped. That brings me to my first question, which one sounds better unamped? I’m not an audiophile (I’m returning a total bithead I received recently because I could barely tell the sound difference), but if there is a significant difference please let me know.

I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to the sennheiser px100 or the grado sr60. One big factor that comes to mind is the amount of leakage. Does anyone know which one leaks more sound? A comparison on the type of sound between the two headphones would be great. Does the px100 have more bass? Which one has more treble/clarity etc etc? I know that the sr60s are very popular headphones, and I’m willing to spend the extra $ for it. But the sennheiser px100 also have rave reviews. Thanks for any help!

Dec 11, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 14
I have the px100 and the sr-80 (close enough). The Grado leaks sound more and is much bigger. The Grado has a brighter (some would say too bright) sound with nice bass. The px100 is slightly warmer, great bass, smaller, easily transportable. but also leaks sound. For snowbaording I would choose the px100. You might consider the behind the neck versions - pmx100 or iGrado for wearing a hat.

Dec 16, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 14
SR60 hands down winner for comfort and sound! Looks too
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 14
SR60 isnt much of a portable headphone though I prefer the SR60s sound over the PX100.

SR60 is a much brighter and detailed phone with less bass in comparison to the PX100. IMO the px100 has too much bass and its sound signature is too dark for my taste.

How about an iGrado?

Dec 16, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 14
for wearing under a beanie, i'd definitely trust the px100 more. you're stone cold crazy if you are thinking about wearing sr60s while snowboarding lol, didnt work to well for me on a bike!

Dec 16, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 14
sr-60's would never fit under a beanie. i have both the px100 and the sr60. the sr60 has no isolation whatsoever, and they'd be a terrible idea for using while boarding. i always use my px100's as my mobile headphones. i've word them under my beanies, they're nice. ksc75's are great too, i'm going to pick myself up a pair soon. it all comes down to whether you like the ksc75 or px100 more.

Dec 16, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #10 of 14
So I also have had both headphones and will confirm that the PX100s have better bass, and the Grados brighter treble, and just generally more definition and clout. However the Grados leak much more sound and are barely portable because of their bulky size and ridiculously long and thick cord. I would not think they are nearly as robust as the Senns either if they are being used outdoors in a sporting context.

Considering your use for them, the PX100s are well suited and are fine sounding phones. I didn't miss the Grados at all when I sold them and was only left with the Senns for portable use. The Senns are smaller, more portable, more robust, and will fit under a beanie. Even better get the sports style PMX100s like I currently use, so that I can also wear a cap more easily.

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I also have had both headphones and will confirm that the PX100s have better bass, and the Grados brighter treble, and just generally more definition and clout. However the Grados leak much more sound and are barely portable because of their bulky size and ridiculously long and thick cord. I would not think they are nearly as robust as the Senns either if they are being used outdoors in a sporting context.

Considering your use for them, the PX100s are well suited and are fine sounding phones. I didn't miss the Grados at all when I sold them and was only left with the Senns for portable use. The Senns are smaller, more portable, more robust, and will fit under a beanie. Even better get the sports style PMX100s like I currently use, so that I can also wear a cap more easily.

My recommendation for the PX-100 as well.

Dec 16, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

^^^This sums up my thoughts as well, on this one, PX100's by a mile!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back