Sennheiser PX100 should be banned from the streets
Jan 3, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by bassd00d
I would say it's a LOT darker than the Koss....well, the KSC 50 and 75. I could never like the PX100 because of their lack of treble. Guess I just like bright headphones.

that's one of the main reasons why i didn't enjoy the px100's either and love the ex71/81's, the brightness. if anything, i'd say that most people prefer strong bass over balanced headphones that have slightly weaker bass but clear highs, that's why the koss ksc, pp line of headphones are so popular. the ex71/81 also have slightly bloated bass but their highs still come through and they're good enough for me to enjoy.

Jan 3, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
if anything, i'd say that most people prefer strong bass over balanced headphones that have slightly weaker bass but clear highs, that's why the koss ksc, pp line of headphones are so popular.

Interesting analysis...
I am a classical and jazz person.
That is why I look for balanced sound and can tolerate a slight lack of bass.
Look at my main phone, K501 (detailed, tranpsarent but a tad lean on bass), no wonder I enjoy the px100...
tongue.gif

Jan 3, 2005 at 11:49 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
if anything, i'd say that most people prefer strong bass over balanced headphones that have slightly weaker bass but clear highs, that's why the koss ksc, pp line of headphones are so popular.

I find this view perfectly 'shareable'.

As for me, I enjoy so much the PX100 with acoustic music (in the most ample sense), and particularly with the music I listed in my profile.
At the clarity, neutrality, and rigour it needs the PX100 is truly the
best value among inexpensive phones.

Jan 3, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #19 of 34
One question about the PX 100:

Can you tell me how much sound leaks out? I would like to use it in an office with several other people, so there should be no audible sound emission. I know that canalphones are probably best for that purpose, but using them for hours each day probably is not too comfy.
I have been using MX 500's and they are my reference point. If the leakage is above that (like MX 550 which are already to loud) they are not suitable for me. Hm, maybe I should open a new thread or was there already one on that topic?

Thanks!

Jan 3, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by breadnbutter

Can you tell me how much sound leaks out? I would like to use it in an office with several other people, so there should be no audible sound emission. I know that canalphones are probably best for that purpose, but using them for hours each day probably is not too comfy.
I have been using MX 500's and they are my reference point. If the leakage is above that (like MX 550 which are already to loud) they are not suitable for me. Hm, maybe I should open a new thread or was there already one on that topic?

Thanks!

Depends on how much loud do you listen. If you listen at a normal volume(i.e. a volume you can also hear something around you) sound leakage it's not a problem with the PX100. They are not completely back-open, there's a somewhat foam screen that "contain" the sound.

Jan 4, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #21 of 34
mmmm i quite hate px100 for the sound they give - I'll stop here not to be flamed too much
tongue.gif
( my px100 are lieing unused from the very first days they arrived here i tried to understand where/how they are good hp ..but no way )
... I'd higly suggest some sharp md33 instead to anyone who wants portability and decent sound .

Jan 4, 2005 at 9:34 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
mmmm i quite hate px100 for the sound they give - I'll stop here not to be flamed too much
tongue.gif
( my px100 are lieing unused from the very first days they arrived here i tried to understand where/how they are good hp ..but no way )
... I'd higly suggest some sharp md33 instead to anyone who wants portability and decent sound .

You may not have burned them in.
I didn't like them as well 'straight out of the box'.
I started to 'understand' them just from some 70 hours of burn-in on.
The sort of difference I perceived from 'before' to 'after' was
like day vs. night, like unmusical vs. musical.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Or you may just fit in the interpretation fureshi previously expressed
tongue.gif

Jan 21, 2005 at 8:00 AM Post #23 of 34
I am now using PX100 with a Tivoli Model 2 Radio at my work desk.
Also, internet radio through M-audio Transit USB is pretty good. I was expecting audiostream at 64-96 Kbps to be crappy. But it actually sounds OK, although not as good as FM radio. I wish the internet radio would provide at least 128 Kbps.
Anyway, PX100 works great in my work setup. I am really glad I got it.

Jan 22, 2005 at 9:11 AM Post #24 of 34
Does anyone know if Senn is planning to release an earclip version of these? I'm interested in them but after the KSC-35/50/75 have no intention of going back to headbands for portable listening.

Jan 22, 2005 at 11:40 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by breadnbutter

Thanks!

They leak quite a bit for that environment. I'd go with PX200's or Shure E2's. The PX100 just isn't going to work.

Jan 22, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #26 of 34
I wanted them, but it's just damn hard to find any senn cans here (the only retailer sells the eh-xxxx models, yuck.. but i know there's some here since it's been advertised, i just havent searched hard enough..)..
Although i recommend them to my friends if they're looking for a good cheap portable phones, and are willing to search for them in farther-away malls..

Although (IMO) the KSC-55s are much cooler looking (, i'm a confessed bass head, and i dont want to mess my hair, so i got them..)..

Jan 22, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
You may not have burned them in.
I didn't like them as well 'straight out of the box'.
I started to 'understand' them just from some 70 hours of burn-in on.
The sort of difference I perceived from 'before' to 'after' was
like day vs. night, like unmusical vs. musical.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Or you may just fit in the interpretation fureshi previously expressed
tongue.gif

I second the burn in suggestion. It changes things on a very dramatic level. I did not like mine out of the box either, but now I can't live without them.

Jan 22, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
After listening to it, I realized Sennheiser PX100 is a threat to Head-Fi.
tongue.gif

For its modest asking price, it sounds too good.

Hmmm ... you should try the real good senns ... they all should be banned from the streets !
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

600smile.gif

Jan 22, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Hmmm ... you should try the real good senns ... they all should be banned from the streets !
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

600smile.gif

Sure, I have heard them. No doubt they're good.
But the point is, PX100 is portable and inexpensive.
Hi-end Senns need beefy amps and look too dorky to be used on the street.
Since they are not seen on the streets, no need to ban them.
tongue.gif

Jan 22, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #30 of 34
I really enjoy my PX100 a lot, and often I even prefer them to my HD595 for their unrivaled comfort. Of course I realize a lack of detail and soundstage when switching from them to the bigger Senns, but it's nothing like a day or night difference, only a clearly noticeable but somehow slight change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back