Sennheiser PX100 Replacements
Jun 23, 2017 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

baronkatz

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head Fellow Head-Fiers!

I lost my PX-100's a few months ago and have been meaning to get replacements. They were first generation and I really liked them but they could have used a lot more clarity. They sounded very dark like an HD650 where I want something that still has bass but more clarity like the Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm for example. I don't like the sound signature of the Koss Portapro's as much as the PX-100's and the comfort of the Porta Pros is an issue for me.

So I'm looking for a new portable on ear to replace it. The driver can't be too big (I have the Audio Techinca ATH-ES10 which I love but they are not super portable). I should be able to lie on by back without the headphones being intrusive and they should be able to fold. The PX100's have the perfect form factor for this. I'm not even considering IEM's since they feel too obtrusive for me. So far I have found the following:

Sennheiser PX100-II (how do these compare to the first ones?)
Sennheiser PX200s
B&O Form 2
AKG K404
Jays V-Jays
Fischer Audio Oldskool
AIAIAI Tracks

I'm leaning towards the Form 2's but I haven't heard any of the ones on the list except PX100-1 and Koss Porta Pro. I like that the PX100 has a fun sound signature and more than anything that its bass is good for movies since it feels like a subwoofer.

Jun 26, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 8
It is best if we all pretend the DTX35 doesn't even exist. They should be embarrassed by it and probably are.

You'd only want the old v-jays since the newer are lighter in bass.

What about the new Senns, HD2.20 or 2.30??

Jun 29, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 8
It is best if we all pretend the DTX35 doesn't even exist. They should be embarrassed by it and probably are.

You'd only want the old v-jays since the newer are lighter in bass.

What about the new Senns, HD2.20 or 2.30??

I have never heard of the 2.20 or 2.30 but they are a bit bigger than I want. I have something that size already the Audio Technica ATH-ES10's. I want something ultra portable but best sound quality possible...

Jun 29, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 8
Figured they may be ok as they are the evolution of the PX200 though a smidge bigger. I did not put down the smallest new one, the 2.10 cause they don't fold but they all did meet the lie back with requirement :)

Not the smallest but you may be confusing the HD4.XX as only those approach the ES10 size. Still it sounds like you are like me and only want the smallest like the v-jays(59 grams) or perhaps the Cypherus Senns...
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/c...golden-reference.826036/page-55#post-13503891 They seem to do the PX80 and possibly the PX100.

Edifier makes good stuff but I do not know how good this one actually is...
http://www.edifier.com/us/en/headphones-earphones/p640
Also 110grams is about my limit

Latest AKG's...
http://www.accessoryjack.com/headph...with-1-button-universal-remote-mic-black.html

You can always check out the earbuds round up as I delve in both and earbuds are doing better in SQ than the small cans at this time but the fit is not as certain and the ones with enough bass and fun sound you want will take some reading/research into. Vido bud is $4 so pretty much a must try.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #7 of 8
Which of those sounds the least congested without being amped? I really want something I can play from my phone that is ultra portable and that is the clearest ultra portable available... Not interested in earbuds as they are too invasive for me.

Jul 5, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 8
Sorry missed this. The clearest portables I know of and have owned both are the v-jays new version and the PX200-II but you didn't mention clearest before. These two have that above the others but do have less bass. Interestingly enough they are second versions and that is where they both improve with better balance and improved clarity over the first gens.

These are my two favorites. Stage and openess is great on the PX200-II but I did like to EQ them unamped to push the bass and treble up with the mids. V-jays unamped needs a bit more bass unamped for me. For me anyhow, these two are the most fun and enjoyable as well as the best performers I have heard. Think there is a new version PX-200II with RA plug which is the one to get. Seen has a volume control which I never liked.

Hope that helps narrow down some:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back