sennheiser px100 good?
Sep 5, 2007 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Leoml88

Head-Fier
i saw them in my college bookstore for $49.99, and anyways I was planning on using about half of the money on my card (you know like flexbux or w/e they are at other schools) for books, but my grandparents took care of it this semester for me as a bday present. so anyways i have about $500 or so more than I expected to on my card. I don't plan on blowing it or anything, but, I do need some portable headphones, like for the gym, as my audiotechnica studio headphones would be just slightly bulky. Would these be a good thing to get for the gym, and I guess for w/e else? How "open" are they? like, will everyone hear everything, even if I play my music at normal volumes? At the gym, it won't really matter, because noone is really focusing on me anyways so I don't really care, but lets say for like a bus ride or plane or somehting.

Sep 5, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 15
They're not that bad in the area of letting out sound. I use them at work and at college and only at quite loud levels does the sound leak considerably
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 15
The problem with public transportation is not so much that you would disrupt people (although you might well do just that!) but that you're going to destroy your hearing by playing your music too loud.

Do yourself a favor and get 'phones that isolate reasonably well so that you won't have to turn up the volume too much to drown out the noise.

Sep 5, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 15
+1 them are not quite well for public places, then get IEM`s. PX100 are good at home, quiet places.

Sep 5, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 15
+2 spend a little more for a nice set of portable closed headphones. PX100's nor the PortaPros are too bad but you will have the leakage issue.

Sep 5, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 15
PX-100 are fine. If you irritate a few jealous souls it's OK. You start researching too much you will want to spend all your money. Those where my first headphones I upgraded to and I loved them for years and then my twin took them to Iraq and I got them back. They can rock. They have bass! Good choice.
tongue.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah.. I use them at work all the time and I don't bother anyone
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, I use them at my college campus and I don't have much trouble with incoming noise. Unless you're looking to specifically block out background noise, then I would say you would be fine with these.

X2. I use these at the gym. The sound leaking in and out are not horrible at all. Well no one has complained about them.

Sep 5, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 15
thats the problem i'm having right now. I'm looking for good quality in my ears for my ipod and got pretty excited about the igrado. But they're open, and I simply don't want to annoy fellow passengers, pedestrians, college mates or whatever. Then there's earbuds, I have NO knowledge about them, and there's over the ear phones, of which I heard a couple of sennheisers are good. If anyone could fill me in on the best, isolated, head/ear-phone/plug around the igrado price range (70-100-ish) it'd be much appreciated.

Also, the igrados around my place are 69 EUR. Thats about 90 usd. I can get the PX 100 for 30 EUR. The KSC 75 for 19. I tried ordering the grados over the internet but grado doesn't like international shipping.

and what are IEM's?

Sep 5, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 15
Emjen, I would personally get the px100s, they really do hardly leak. For IEMS there are the mylarone X3, Senn cx300, shure e2c, UE 3, ety er-6i. I have only personally heard the ety er6i, and I do not think they sound like the px100(senns and etys have 2 different sound signatures IMHO).

Sep 5, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 15
whats considered the best IEM right now? And is the difference in leakage between the igrado and the px100 that big? (Or should I say, noticable?) Because i've read on these forums that the igrados are a step up from the px100 (is it a big step up, or a barely noticable step up?) in the sound department. But if the sound difference isn't that big and the leakage is i might go for the px100 because they're much cheaper. Did I make any sense,anyway?

Thing is, I don't want to spend my money on the lesser headphone. But if the px100 and the igrado's are somewhat comparable and the sound leakage on the px100 is a lot less, then I'd go for the px100.

I prefer phones over IEMs though. Any good advice on a over the ear headphone?

Oh, and I listen to what you might call loud music with dirty beats (the prodigy, chemical brothers) to slower electro lounge music (four tet, mum, some post rock here and there). No jazzy classical songs for me.

And sorry for taking over your thread leom, but there are enough of 'i got money and dunno what to do wiffit' about now anyway.

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 15
Just picked up a pair of PX-100s, and they are great for what they are. And you can get them for $29.99 at newegg.com, no need to spend $49 (for the white ones). Also, the Atrio M5 IEMs are a fantastic value, and deliver a smooth, non-fatiguing sound, with clean, impactful bass, decent mids and highs. The best? Have no idea. But for $130 (via ebay), no other IEM comes close.

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #14 of 15
As stated elsewhere, they are more appropriate in a quiet environment -- light, comfortable (especially in the heat), and surprisingly full-sounding -- and they're easy to transport around ... but they won't isolate (not that they're intended to). This isn't a flaw -- it's just that they do what they do; I can't imagine listening to mine on loud public transportation or in a gym, and I like them so much I'm getting a second pair. Just walking around a school or university would probably be OK, though.

"sound quality.... worth $50?"

I think so ... although I'd rather find a lower price, if possible!

Sep 6, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As stated elsewhere, they are more appropriate in a quiet environment -- light, comfortable (especially in the heat), and surprisingly full-sounding -- and they're easy to transport around ... but they won't isolate (not that they're intended to). This isn't a flaw -- it's just that they do what they do; I can't imagine listening to mine on loud public transportation or in a gym, and I like them so much I'm getting a second pair. Just walking around a school or university would probably be OK, though.

"sound quality.... worth $50?"

I think so ... although I'd rather find a lower price, if possible!

As I noted above, $30 for the white ones at newegg.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back