Sennheiser PX100/200? Which one?
Aug 30, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #16 of 24
I was about to buy PX100 today at a local exhibition...almost...but then i ended up buying HD555.

But to tell u .. PX100 are the best Portable headphones.

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #17 of 24
Contrary to the long-held advice, I am placing PX200 > PX100 in term of sound quality.

I have had the white PX200 for about month now and I do enjoy them more than the white PX100.

Driven by the latest Benchmark DAC1 headphone out, PX200 consistently had purer mid range and better-extended high. The midrange is less grainy than PX100, and sounds much more natural and neutral. The imaging is stable and the soundstage is defined. I like to focus on the midrange since most of the music I listen to are happening predominantly in the mid-range.

Much like sealed spkr, sealed headphone requires more power to keep the driver in control (deeper bass). I think Benchmark was adequate for this phone. Comparing Benchmark to ipod headphone out, DAC1 headphone out consistently went few notes lower in the bass.

PX200 is ultimately not about mid/upper bass slam, rather PX200 delivers its virtue via the pure mid-range, well-extended and sweet highs, and an overall balance that's akin to headphones costing much more.

PX200 is NOT ideal for ipod crowd and bassheads; but if most of your music is not in the bass range, and you prefer natural mid-range and well-defined soundstage, PX200 is a better choice.

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #18 of 24
px100's for sure. i dont think there are any headphones THAT portable for THAT price and for THAT quality. they fold up neatly and stuff. excellent bass response. and for black or white..id say black because. if u think about it, how many ppl do u see with white headphones? and i dont count those apple earbuds. i mean..HEADPHONES plus if they get dirty, its really easy to tell. if u go with the px100, u will have no regrets at all and thats a promise.

Sep 11, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PX200 is ultimately not about mid/upper bass slam, rather PX200 delivers its virtue via the pure mid-range, well-extended and sweet highs, and an overall balance that's akin to headphones costing much more.

PX200 is NOT ideal for ipod crowd and bassheads; but if most of your music is not in the bass range, and you prefer natural mid-range and well-defined soundstage, PX200 is a better choice.

I second this notion. While I never tried the PX100 much (think once in a store, maybe...) I did like my PX200s quite well for their refined sound. As chesebert says, it is quite balanced and makes a nice choice for a quality source that has a decent output stage. They need proper amplification, then they shine. An excellent match for old Discmen, for example. OTOH, the "isolation" is next to useless, it rather makes for a phone that does not leak much. Ergo: PX200 = good phones but not for everyone or every scenario.

Sep 11, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #21 of 24
I sweear the px200 doesn't really isolate much. Maybe my ears are strange, but the PX100s sound awesome, while the 200's were a little less, maybe because the output isn;t right up against your ear. MAde it sound "weak."

Oct 20, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek1984 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I want a closed headphone but with the SQ of the PX100's, could I buy the PX100's and replace the PX100 ear pads with PX200 ear pads?

I don´t have tried one of both (but I look forward to), but I don´t think you can. The difference between open and closed phones is not (only) the ear pads. Take a look on the pictures of the two types, showing mainly the outer side, not the pads. You may recognise which is the open and which the closed model, without need to look at the badges.

I´m asking myself too, which one I should buy. I use my portable CD mainly in the tramway. Now I hear with Koss Porta Pro, but it´s broken at the folding pivots and I repaired it with a nail. Systems and cable still work very well. But I don´t dare to hear louder than 4 or 5, knowing that they let my co-passengers participate my music enjoyment, much more than my former Sennheiser HD480 (open phones from the 1980s, for home use but small and suitable for portable devices too). Therefore I think I´ll go for the PX200.

Konstantin

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #24 of 24
PX100. Smooth, a bit dark, good bass, and comfortable. The PX200 can play some good bass... if you ever manage to get a good seal on it. That's why I didn't buy the PX200. It was too hard to have it actually seal so that it plays properly. The PX100 is open, but it doesn't really leak much. I have been using them at the gym for years now. Great headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back