Sennheiser PX 100 vs. Koss Porta Pro - The Ultimate Thread
Jul 13, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #16 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerbie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Portapros do not have clips, and are much more durable, right down to the cable (it doesn't stiffen with age like the KSC75 and such).

I am well aware of the differences between the two. The clips have never been a weak point for me. I still have the clips from the KSC35's I bought in 1996, and have subsequently put on several KSC50's and KSC75's after discovering in both cases how inferior the new clip designs were to the old one in comfort, fit, and fidelity. Nor have the wires. What have been weak spots are the drivers themselves and the solder join between driver and wire. Those two areas would be the same on both.

That is not to say someone gentler on equipment will not see much longer life out of the Kosses than I have. And in some ways I still think the Kosses sound better than the Senns. But to pretend that both perceived and actual quality are not leagues higher on the Senns is silly to me.

Now if only they'd come out with a new PMX100 that doesn't have that ugly and stupid "alloy wheel" motif on the back cans...

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #20 of 51
I like the PX100 better. I have the Sportapro version of the Koss and the earpiece keeps getting "knocked off." It snaps right back into place but it is a pita. The Koss is a little more bass heavy for me which I do not care for.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, why bother? Isn't that like eating a Big Mac with a expensive bottle of wine?

SPC wire isn't expensive and Mcdonalds in France serve not expensive wine.

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #23 of 51
I wonder:

May a Kramer-modded Koss Porta Pro have as good mids and highs (as many people
claim) like its
component the PX 100?

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #24 of 51
Can anyone tell me if a 75 Ohm adaptor is a benefit for the sq of the porta pros? Or do the need more than 75 Ohm?
If so I would buy one.
What is the benefit in higher impedance through Ohm resistors in general?
I couldnt find informations on it here on head-fi.

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Resonant_Rebel=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Koss was at the meet yesterday in Kenosha, WI - They demonstrated a pair of porto-pro's. They seem flimsy and don't have great detail. The high end isn't there and the sound is a bit muffled.

Hope this helps!

Spencer D.

Having owned both, I am mystified by your post. I found (and continue to find) the Portapros to be significantly more detailed than the PX100s. I also find the PX100s to be significantly darker in overall presentation than the Portapros.

But I am most nonplussed by your assertion that the Portapros lack high end and are "muffled." When I bought the PX100s, they were replacements for Portapros; I was curious. The first word -- literally, the first word -- that came to mind when I slipped on the PX100s was "muffled." The second word was "muddy."

Not only do I think the Portapros are better, I also think the difference is significant and instantly obvious.

As has been said many times, in this thread and in others, it's all a matter of personal preference.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #26 of 51
I had the exact same reaction as DrBenway to the PX100. I bought them at Circuit City on sale for <$20 and I disliked them so much that I actually took them back! I mean that's a lot of trouble to go to for $20, so from what I remember I was really put off by them. I have 6 or so pairs of the Koss KSC family so that should tell you which way I voted.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #27 of 51
Portapros here, although my friend managed to rape the connector on the set I lent her. It was a straight plug if anyone was wondering.

Soon as I pry them back from her I'ma re-cable those suckers.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #28 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Portapros here, although my friend managed to rape the connector on the set I lent her. It was a straight plug if anyone was wondering.

Soon as I pry them back from her I'ma re-cable those suckers.
bigsmile_face.gif

In case you haven't recabled them before, you might want to pay attention to the following:

--When you pry off the covers that protect the connections to the ear-cups, be VERY careful. They are held in place by two slender pins that break very easily when you try to remove the cover. Work slowly and carefully, alternating one side and the other on each cover (an Xacto knife or very small flathead screwdriver will work.)

--Take very careful note of the polarity of the leads; eyeball which contacts the signal and ground leads are soldered to. Also, carefully observe the way the leads fit under the cover. Pay attention to the way the leads are routed around the strain-relief pegs under the covers.

Sorry if this is old news to you!

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having owned both, I am mystified by your post. I found (and continue to find) the Portapros to be significantly more detailed than the PX100s. I also find the PX100s to be significantly darker in overall presentation than the Portapros.

But I am most nonplussed by your assertion that the Portapros lack high end and are "muffled." When I bought the PX100s, they were replacements for Portapros; I was curious. The first word -- literally, the first word -- that came to mind when I slipped on the PX100s was "muffled." The second word was "muddy."

Not only do I think the Portapros are better, I also think the difference is significant and instantly obvious.

As has been said many times, in this thread and in others, it's all a matter of personal preference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJDyn0mite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the exact same reaction as DrBenway to the PX100. I bought them at Circuit City on sale for <$20 and I disliked them so much that I actually took them back! I mean that's a lot of trouble to go to for $20, so from what I remember I was really put off by them. I have 6 or so pairs of the Koss KSC family so that should tell you which way I voted.

I also find the PX 100 very muddy, not what I exspected in a Sennheiser..
Same reaction from my side like yours!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back